Food allergy?

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
TL;DR: Can food allergies cause extreme itchiness and how would I pin down the exact cause of the itchiness?

About 3:30am(that seems to be what the receipt is saying) I consumed a giant bean and cheese burrito I had bought from a gas station. I had topped it with pepperjack cheese and chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.

About 5:30am I noticed I was getting extremely itchy. It is 6:15am now and I am still rather itchy. My arms itch, my scalp itches. my face itches. my back itches. My sides itch. Those seem to be the worst areas. They have been itching pretty much constantly.

The extreme itchiness has happened before. I have never been able to link it to anything before. It has happened pretty often in the past. It just didn't seem to coincide with anything else. I am wondering now though if it could be a food allergy. I had quit cheese for a week. I am pretty sure that milk based products are behind a few of the issues I have been having.

When I told this to a person I know who works in the medical field they told me that dairy most likely wasn't a issue unless I was lactose intolerant. I am pretty sure I am not although most my immediate family is. The person has no formal medical education. The job they have in the field doesn't actually require any sort of education as far as I am aware. So I am not certain I trust their thoughts on the matter.

I have been having the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for the past two weeks with pretty much every meal. I haven't had any itchy episodes in that time. I haven't had cheese or dairy of any sort in that time though. I also haven't had uncooked jalapenos in that time either. Those are actually the only two ingredients I can think of that were in the meal that I hadn't had in awhile.

Could something I ate cause those type of symptoms, for that length of time, and starting that long after eating it?
What would be the easiest way to find out the cause of the extreme itchiness and whether it is a food allergy?

6:30am CDT now and i am still really itchy. It usually lasts awhile though.

jay2144

Jul 29, 2019
if it was food you would nor be itching you would be swelling you are probably having a reaction to something in the environment

SirDoctorOfTardis

Jul 29, 2019
I would say that it is an allergic reaction to something in the burrito, I would keep the package and schedule an appointment with a doctor to make sure.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
if it was food you would nor be itching you would be swelling you are probably having a reaction to something in the environment
I did some research after typing all that out. (Link) Turns out if it is a allergic reaction then it is in all likely hood a moderate one. Up to two weeks ago I didn't think I had any but the most common allergies. Poison ivy was the only allergy I was certain of. Though I did have a seriously negative reaction to Prozac. I don't think that one could actually be considered a allergy. It just made me feel slightly homicidal while I was taking it.

Then two weeks ago the doctor told me to try stopping the antihistamine I was on to try and get rid of some severe dry mouth I was having. I stopped it thinking I couldn't remember why I was even on it. Two days later I remembered. Waking up with a stuffy head and headache was the reason. Though I did stop sneezing every time I had to use a powder substance(like cool aid powder, or ceyenne pepper) once I went back on it.

So now I am aware that I have allergies I am trying to become more aware of what all they may be, and more important to me, what may be causing them.

Not that I am against the idea of it not being some sort of allergic reaction. I don't think the possibility likely.
I would say that it is an allergic reaction to something in the burrito, I would keep the package and schedule an appointment with a doctor to make sure.
Yeah, I was hoping I could deal with it without a doctors appointment. Will probably come down to that though. I started keeping a food journal a few minutes ago. That might help them pin down the allergy from what my internet research shows.