Focused modpacks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
That's a pretty nice list, and I agree with Miguk's suggestion for early game storage. I used to be able to get AE1 up *with* autocrafting within the first 3-4 Minecraft days. AE2 is a different animal--in some ways it's easier but in other ways it's more difficult and your progression can be slowed a bit by poor luck. Maybe JABBA + Router Reborn? (Replacement for the old FZ router.)

Hostile mob radar and seeing through solid rock underground is a tad "cheaty", IMHO. Those features seem better suited for an MMPS helmet upgrade.

JourneyMap has a no-hostiles download. I think Opis+Mapwriter doesn't show hostiles. You can turn hostiles/caves off in the LiteLoader+VoxelMap implementation.

Havanacus

Jul 29, 2019
I think people tend towards "kitchen sink" style modpacks mainly for two reasons:
  1. They want to generate a world and play that game for months, the way we used to play Vanilla Minecraft. They add all the mods because they don't want to leave any behind.
    The thing is, from what I can tell, many if not most modded Minecraft players have adapted a more rotating or migrant playstyle. We play one Modpack until we're satisfied, burned out, or ragequit, then we more on to another. I personally like to alternate between hardcore and casual playing to keep things fresh.
  2. They don't realize that adding things also takes things away. By that, I mean content from one mod can "short circuit" content from another. For example, Jetpacks and Teleporters marginalize Railcraft. Railcraft is a really cool mod, but when's the last time you built a rail line and actually used it.
Don't get me wrong, "kitchen sink" packs do have their own kind of wild fun. I just look forward to the day the launcher is filled with fit and focused Modpacks.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
That's a pretty nice list, and I agree with Miguk's suggestion for early game storage. I used to be able to get AE1 up *with* autocrafting within the first 3-4 Minecraft days. AE2 is a different animal--in some ways it's easier but in other ways it's more difficult and your progression can be slowed a bit by poor luck. Maybe JABBA + Router Reborn? (Replacement for the old FZ router.)
I just tend to grab a meteorite compass, a load of food and a sleeping bag and go to explore the surrounding area with a meteorite compass. I don't come back until I have all the presses I need. I don't mind the slowing down of AE2. Once I have the presses, it's quite easy to get a basic storage system. After that, my system has grown organically based on what I saw the need for. It now takes the output of my ore processing, and can autocraft processors, pure seeds, and Ender IO alloys, because those were the crafting steps that annoyed me the most to do manually. When I feel the need for it to do something else, I'll build the infrastructure needed, rather than just setting up one big 'all the things' system.

I think people tend towards "kitchen sink" style modpacks mainly for two reasons:
  1. They want to generate a world and play that game for months, the way we used to play Vanilla Minecraft. They add all the mods because they don't want to leave any behind.
    The thing is, from what I can tell, many if not most modded Minecraft players have adapted a more rotating or migrant playstyle. We play one Modpack until we're satisfied, burned out, or ragequit, then we more on to another. I personally like to alternate between hardcore and casual playing to keep things fresh.
  2. They don't realize that adding things also takes things away. By that, I mean content from one mod can "short circuit" content from another. For example, Jetpacks and Teleporters marginalize Railcraft. Railcraft is a really cool mod, but when's the last time you built a rail line and actually used it.
Don't get me wrong, "kitchen sink" packs do have their own kind of wild fun. I just look forward to the day the launcher is filled with fit and focused Modpacks.
I think another reason is for servers - unless all your friends are interested in the same mods as you, it's very hard to get a small, focused pack that'll please everyone. The "kitchen sink" packs allow people to set up servers and let everyone enjoy play the mods they want.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Too true. Number 1? We all know that feel, bro.
Number 2? I actually started on my rail line on a map within 5 MC days... last week. Five maps ago, mind you. The main point for my thoughts on a rail line is as follows: You have to have a reason to have a rail line before you can really want to make one. It took five in game days to get the coke over running, and why? I was focusing solely on finding base locations. A rail line must exist for a reason, and I was making my base a new way; no more jumbo awesome super-base number #23,157,556,976,100,042 but a collection of bases. I wanted to make sure that my base was different this time.
And I stumbled upon the seed I had used, and I'm doing it again.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
when's the last time you built a rail line and actually used it.
Last time I played a single world long enough to get a Rolling Machine, which was not too long ago.

I do everything with carts, Flaxbeard's Steam Power, or RotaryCraft when in comes to tech.

Reactions: Padfoote

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The intention of Monster is for you to take out the ones you don't want.

If you want focused modpacks, themed/quested modpacks are probably your go to. Just generate a normal world with those modpacks, instead of the world you are supposed to play one. i.e. No-skyblock Agrarian Skies, regular world Crash Landing, vanilla BloodnBones, etc.

Those all have specifically taken out most of the redundancy that occurs when multiple mods try to achieve the same thing. They also have some progression involved, rather than in sandbox FTB where it is literally, wood, stone, iron, alumite, cobalt/many, done.

xyzzy75

Jul 29, 2019
I just thought of a tightly curated, open world modpack--Life in the Woods. No tech, iirc. It's basically a creative exploration/building mod focused on BoP, various ocean mods, the Atlas mod, Pam's, Chisel (I think), and Carpenter's Blocks.

Reactions: abobabo

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I haven't gotten far enough/cared enough to go past standard tools, mainly steel, since 1.5.2.
Ahh, you're a pure builder type. I always grind my way through to quantum, have a full set of RF upgraded TiCo tools. Engineer and their tools, is a love affair only they know.

Reactions: null123

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Ahh, you're a pure builder type. I always grind my way through to quantum, have a full set of RF upgraded TiCo tools. Engineer and their tools, is a love affair only they know.
Pure Poetry at its finest.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Eh not really. I'm a builder, yes, but I just haven't played any pack long enough since then. I always get bored. I used to do (almost) the same thing as you, just replace the RF tools with IC2 tools.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Eh not really. I'm a builder, yes, but I just haven't played any pack long enough since then. I always get bored. I used to do (almost) the same thing as you, just replace the RF tools with IC2 tools.
Well, getting the tools and infrastructure to support the tools is only step one. That includes IC2/TE/MFR/BR all the tech mods. Then what about wand focii as a tool. BM sigils/rituals, etc. A bit of a different approach.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't even make vanilla stone tools >_>. My ore processing is TiCo based.
And my ore processing is best described as "Why do we call it Ore Processing these days? It was Ore Doubling when we only cared to double it, now seeing as we can get up to 6 times the ingots from 1 ore using only one mod, at a 100% success rate(assuming we're patient enough to get the 6x ore processing done), it really seems we all care too much about getting the most usable metal from the least amount of actual ore blocks. May as well just smelt each ore block into a metal block at this rate...", or "I use a normal ore doubling system until I can afford something more inane".

Reactions: SatanicSanta

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
And my ore processing is best described as "Why do we call it Ore Processing these days? It was Ore Doubling when we only cared to double it, now seeing as we can get up to 6 times the ingots from 1 ore using only one mod, at a 100% success rate(assuming we're patient enough to get the 6x ore processing done), it really seems we all care too much about getting the most usable metal from the least amount of actual ore blocks. May as well just smelt each ore block into a metal block at this rate...", or "I use a normal ore doubling system until I can afford something more inane".
Never bothered doing anything more than 2x myself, I don't burn through resources quickly enough for me to need anything more.

dothrom

Jul 29, 2019
Never bothered doing anything more than 2x myself, I don't burn through resources quickly enough for me to need anything more.
Son, you need to play yourself some rotarycraft. That iron will be gone in no time. :p

Also, CRCS IC2 reactors. That'll chew through thousands of Iron/tin/copper.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Then what about wand focii as a tool. BM sigils/rituals, etc. A bit of a different approach.
Well, I dislike Thaumcraft 4 and Blood Magic so that's out of the picture :p
"I use a normal ore doubling system until I can afford something more inane".
I do this as well.
Son, you need to play yourself some rotarycraft. That iron will be gone in no time. :p
I just mine more iron to deal with this problem. I don't usually get ore duplicating up for a long time.