Flaxbeard's Crucible Question

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
So I am looking at ways to "stunt" progression if you will. I have settled on Flaxbeard's Steampower being my "archaic" tech mod.

I am trying to control progression by disabling vanilla stone and wood tools. I added flint tools which can't harvest anything but copper and zinc. This is so that players will HAVE to use Flaxbeards crucible and make brass tools to get iron.

But, then I realized that it requires either A, lava or B, Netherrack. Without a mod like TiCon and/orTicTweaks, I have no means of getting lava where I need it. If I can't mine iron to get that first bucket. This is a dead end. Is there any other way to light that baby ? Or perhaps I should suggest some sort of config option to add acceptable fire sources below the crucible? As in maybe the firepits from project zulu ? Or something...idk...

EDIT: Almost forgot, can someone tell me what the survivalist toolkit is/does ? thanks !

Last edited:

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
What would said acceptable fire sources be?
Maybe you should tell me good sir ? I think the project Zulu firepits maybe ? Maybe only the cobblestone ones, or maybe only the woods ones ? what do you think ? Also, later down the road of progression, there's the igniter from Bluepower and I believe something similar in TrapCraft, both are basically redstone powered fire sources. Perfect for this IMHO

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you should tell me good sir ?
I was asking you because I don't really play Minecraft at all :p
I think the project Zulu firepits maybe ? Maybe only the cobblestone ones, or maybe only the woods ones ? what do you think ? Also, later down the road of progression, there's the igniter from Bluepower and I believe something similar in TrapCraft, both are basically redstone powered fire sources. Perfect for this IMHO
I'm pretty sure the BP Igniter lights fire, rather than just being a solid fire block. I'll look into some of this, and add an issue to the repo.
EDIT: Almost forgot, can someone tell me what the survivalist toolkit is/does ? thanks !
It's a Bauble that can be worn in the belt slot. I think it can also be placed in your hotbar to work properly. Anyway, it prevents your tools from breaking.

Yulife

Jul 29, 2019

I'm pretty sure the BP Igniter lights fire, rather than just being a solid fire block. I'll look into some of this, and add an issue to the repo.

It's a Bauble that can be worn in the belt slot. I think it can also be placed in your hotbar to work properly. Anyway, it prevents your tools from breaking.
Nitor from Thaumcraft!

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
But, then I realized that it requires either A, lava or B, Netherrack. Without a mod like TiCon and/orTicTweaks, I have no means of getting lava where I need it. If I can't mine iron to get that first bucket.

You could add a new recipe for the bucket, made of a different metal. If you take zinc, not copper, the color isn't too far off :)

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really so hard to build something onto an already existing block of lava? You would only have to do it for a little while until you get a bucket. I wouldnt mind having to do that. I dont know how Flaxbeard's crucible works though, does it need a lava block in the actual world or in some kind of internal inventory?

Reactions: 1SDAN

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019

Aw, thank you. You don't play anymore ? Interesting. Well, I will look around but I think having a few other options to light the crucible would be good. Honestly, I think a low level like 5 uses MAX firestarter mad of sticks and/or flint and a campfire style block that had to be lit with said firestarter would be great. And the campfire would require wood to burn, use wood only, and if it ran out of fuel, had to be re-lit. Also, the stick firestartert only has a 50/50 chance to even start a fire, or maybe only %20 chance. This is all just MHO though...I can always just go back to Tarrfirmacraft. lol

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Is it really so hard to build something onto an already existing block of lava? You would only have to do it for a little while until you get a bucket. I wouldnt mind having to do that. I dont know how Flaxbeard's crucible works though, does it need a lava block in the actual world or in some kind of internal inventory?
It needs a heat source in the block below it.
Aw, thank you. You don't play anymore ? Interesting.
Nope. Too busy documenting and testing :p

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
I guess I could build wherever I find some lava, or make an alternative recipe for buckets with zinc. The only problem with said buckets is that if I don't remove all smelting recipes from other mods, that would be a way to transmute zinc to iron, and since Iron is a major step in progression, that would be bad. Other than that this would be ok.

But
I still think having a campfire of sorts that required constant fuel wood be neat. Maybe it could cook food too. I like that Better Beginnings mod and some stuff from TFC, but both have alot of compatibility issues. Better Beginnings would require me to add item names for each category, Axe, Pick, Shovel, Sword, from every single mod, and with TiCon, this is just too much.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. Minecraft is the first community I have ever had such easy contact with actual devs, its quite amazing, and FTB is by far the nicest community I've ever been part of. I always leave the forums with a good feeling where as other forums made me feel like a pest or a moron.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
There is a clay bucket in Iguana Tweaks if I'm not mistaken, which needs to be cooked in a furnace before you can use it and it is only good for one time use when you use it to hold lava?

Edit: If you aren't having TiCo and the addons in your pack, maybe you could add in a clay bucket by yourself using MineTweaker?

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't you just minetweaker the recipe for fire charges, place a burnable block below the crucible and set it on fire?