First mod for minecraft ever?

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
What mods were in these 2 packs?

NTWICMC and Amazopack were reviewed by the Yogscast, I think the former involved adventure mods, and Azaopack just had multiple random things like a mod solely for bees, no breeding, ropes, candles, and others. I believe the yogscast still have them...

MagusUnion

Jul 29, 2019
NTWICMC and Amazopack were reviewed by the Yogscast, I think the former involved adventure mods, and Azaopack just had multiple random things like a mod solely for bees, no breeding, ropes, candles, and others. I believe the yogscast still have them...

pre-Forge packs had very little expansive content in them due to Block/Sprite restrictions at the time. For example, the first IndustrialCraft server (Industrial Rage) only was able to include IC1 and Buildcraft, mostly because of the amount of slot data that both mods consumed as far as how machines worked, and how data was passed between client and server...

The advent of Forge was a god-send because it allowed a much more expanded capacity of Meta-data and the ability to use it to compact redundant parts of code into single block/item ID components. This meant that complex tiles like the Quarry or the Macerator no longer had multiple block ID requirements, as their states could be stored as meta data within a single registered Java instance.

So while I appreciate your efforts to clarify this facet of Minecraft history, do bear in mind that those packs are 'quite primitive' compared to today's 'standard'. (Also keep in mind that it was Yogcast's handling of 'Better Than Wolves' that caused Flowerchild to become so flippantly distant and xenophobic with the term 'modpack', in general)...

Vasa

Jul 29, 2019

Reactions: the_j485

Crater

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a long time player, and I remember back before Survival Test or Indev were released there was a client mod for creative Minecraft (circa 2009, if I remember correctly) called "World of Minecraft" (which was the name of the community itself) that had huge servers for people to play on. Their custom client included a few mods to assist with building and such. I'm sure it isn't the first mod EVER made, but so far I believe it dates further back than any other mods listed in this thread.

Cirom

Jan 1, 2013
^ World of Minecraft stilll exists today, and still gets updates too, despite being for Classic. (at least, I THINK it still gets updates)

I still have a few of my jars from Alpha actually, and a few notable mods on those include:
> Hookshot
> Ultimate Fist
> "Autocart" (Basically, punching a specific side of your minecart made it go in that direction, max-speed.)
> Paint Your Blocks mod (I still think this was better than the coloured wool we got)
> SDK's Gun Mod (which isn't a "reskinned bow an arrow", despite threadular belief - SDK even had a working stationary turret in there, too!)
> And I have another mod which lets you modify and create your own recipes - I believe it's part of Zombe's modpacks.

These all pre-date ModLoader, iirc - as I recall ModLoader originally being created to solve mod conflicts which used the same part of "items.png", as to add a mod, you had to manually edit the mod textures into items.png - and if two mods used the same part of the file, they're getting the same sprite. That, and ModLoader also helped with class conflicts.

For server mods, I would think either RuneCraft or hMod would be the first ones - I can't quite remember which came first, but I know RuneCraft was a mod of the vanilla server long before it got ported to hMod.

Reactions: KurShedir

Crater

Jul 29, 2019
For server mods, I would think either RuneCraft or hMod would be the first ones - I can't quite remember which came first, but I know RuneCraft was a mod of the vanilla server long before it got ported to hMod.

Holy hell, I forgot about hMod completely. Yeah, it was on like every Alpha server before Bukkit was spawned from its death. Good times.

APproject

Jul 29, 2019
I remember the hook shot mod! That was an old one.

I also remember when IC1 had just been released. It was the first mod I ever used that really modified gameplay.

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, good old zombes modpack, Where you could fly if there werent admins because fly protection wasn't build in into MC itself. (I made people actually believe i was a admin by showing i could ''walk'' on water.

Reactions: Vasa and YX33A

FyberOptic

Jul 29, 2019
After my friends and I got tired of building on Minecraft Classic maps, I moved away from Minecraft for a while as survival mode was being developed. That mode didn't even interest me at the time after having done nothing but build with unlimited resources for so long. So I regret not seeing the mod community develop from its early stages. I went back and modded an old alpha version more recently for fun, because it feels so much more like an open canvas. There's something about playing those really old versions, and playing some of the really old mods as well, which is just completely different from playing Minecraft today.

Reactions: Cirom and kaiomann

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
It's really interesting reading this thread. Those "ancient" mods, already slipping into oblivion, being forgotten, people digging deep into their old hard drives and their own memories to find evidence of early mods, trawl Google to find long-forgotten sites and forums listing mods nobody have played in recent memory. Digital archaeology, so to speak.

Really impressive that we've got to this stage already, considering that Minecraft itself wasn't even a thing five years ago.

Reactions: kaiomann and Vasa

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It's really interesting reading this thread. Those "ancient" mods, already slipping into oblivion, being forgotten, people digging deep into their old hard drives and their own memories to find evidence of early mods, trawl Google to find long-forgotten sites and forums listing mods nobody have played in recent memory. Digital archaeology, so to speak.

Really impressive that we've got to this stage already, considering that Minecraft itself wasn't even a thing five years ago.
Minecraft actually was a thing 5 years ago :p
6 on the other hand...

Kyll.Ing.

Jul 29, 2019
^Oh? As far as Minecraft Wiki tells, the very first proof-of-concept video of Minecraft (at that point called "cave game") was released in May 2009. That's less than five years ago.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Tell me, did you even read the thread?

No it makes perfect sense complex mods like those two would come before something requring little to no coding to accomplish like simple tools with mirrored crafting recipes.

I got into minecraft a version or two before pistons were added. Didnt get into modded minecraft until about a year and a half ago. Really appreciate that others around can actually remember that far back.