Finally...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
First Matterfabs can take in Unlimited amount of power provided you don't up the Voltage to the 100k eu/p size, but if you split up your power to more than one matterfabs it'll be more effective than draining it to one. (25 of those advanced 512 eu/t solar panels to one seem to be good for one matterfab before dropping the effectively)

Matter fabricators are limited to 8096eu/t, per all documentation on them, so I'm not sure if you mean "unlimited" in that context. Otherwise, please redefine this part in a reply, thanks.

Second energy storage is very powerful in situations where you got a small eu generation but need a lot of power for machines. (Like those GT machines) You let the small generation full up a bunch of MFSUs then once you need power you'll always have it at your near disposal.

Yes, that is what energy storage is for, which I've already stated. But the problem is that you have two types of energy load: Constant, and variable. Constant loads are CONSTANT loads on the system (loads that are always going), whereas variable are loads that vary in amount of power used (usually in a binary way, either not using any, or using all of the power you request). Most loads are variable, and as such, you can have a small amount of power generation into a large power storage system keep you safe for a while.

But the entire problem is how MUCH power storage is really needed. I've yet to tap into more than three MFSUs at a single time, and even when I finish my fusion plant, I'll only be tapping into five at a time. I've got ten, just in case I run two fusion plants dry. What good is enough power for TWENTY fusion power plants, assuming you continue to have energy produced?

Now once you get a matterfab yea then who care having a bunch of energy storage just a couple MFSUs should do the trick for some cases. Even then you may want to have a good energy buffer for like huge automation setups to make sure they'll never run dry and start spilling ores on the ground or goes down the garbage.

Yes, that is what we've already stated. I am not entirely sure why you are reposting the same stuff, but I agree with you agreeing with me.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Matter fabricators are limited to 8096eu/t, per all documentation on them, so I'm not sure if you mean "unlimited" in that context. Otherwise, please redefine this part in a reply, thanks.

Documentation is wrong, they take unlimited number of packets with maximum packet size equal to 8096. Tested with quantum generator set to 101212 Eu/t with 512 packets connected to matter fabricator via glass fiber cable. 1 uu-matter took about 8 seconds to generate (default GT settings).

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Documentation is wrong, they take 8096 eu/packet. Tested with quantum generator set to 101212 Eu/t with 512 packets connected to matter fabricator via glass fiber cable. 1 uu-matter took about 8 seconds to generate (default GT settings).

Mm, impressive. So we only ever really need a single matter fabricator, then. In either regard, though, it only supports my "matter fabricators are energy sinks" argument. But yes, thank you for that as it will make my fusion reactor design a whole lot simpler!

WitherSauce

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah 1 billion eu goes pretty quickly. We made a bee line for an IDSU on our server as soon as we had quantum armor. The 1 billion storage makes an excellent buffer in case energy production goes south (which it has, several times :D)

My only issue is that other people are unable to access the IDSU, only the placer of the IDSU can. Kinda sucks when its a team effort :/

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah 1 billion eu goes pretty quickly. We made a bee line for an IDSU on our server as soon as we had quantum armor. The 1 billion storage makes an excellent buffer in case energy production goes south (which it has, several times :D)

My only issue is that other people are unable to access the IDSU, only the placer of the IDSU can. Kinda sucks when its a team effort :/

A public/private feature would be nice. And frequencies, eh? On the other hand, turtles moving lapcrystals use ender chests, which can be private or public, so you could have a few turtles moving lapcrystals to other people's MFSUs to give them constant power.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
A matter fabricator is a constant massive drain on your power, which makes any energy storage useless.

Not sure how you got this to make sense in your head. lol

A massive energy buffer is not made 'useless' simply because I have a machine that *can* take huge EU/t numbers. Also as already mentioned, idiots editing the wikis fail to understand the differance between EU/t and EU/p (not your fault) The point of the game isnt to just make UU matter. I have a ton of other devices and factories that are sorting and processing what my several quarrys are producing. The buffers are there for many of the same reasons we have them in real life. This 1B storage will give me a very flexible pool of power to draw from and to make sure no possible eu that could have been generated during factory downtime is wasted.[DOUBLEPOST=1361657559][/DOUBLEPOST]
Why not make 100 mfsu? ;)
Because its bulky and ugly. Already have 50 of them, do not want.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
I just made sixteen MFSUs so I wouldn't have to make any more for a while. That took a LOT of time. More than I'd have expected. But yeah, 100 MFSUs is likely cheaper.
Not really just "cheaper" because it's doesn't require indium plates but everything else all add up. Like over 10 stacks of refined iron and redstone for instance. You'll also need 400 Rubies or just Lithium Batteries which are a whole lot easier to use, but making them is more complex than just stripping the world for 400 rubies. You'll also need over 600 Lapis or it's dust. So it's your choice get a ton of "easier" materials or get some indium plates and save 99 blocks of room.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure how you got this to make sense in your head. lol

A massive energy buffer is not made 'useless' simply because I have a machine that *can* take huge EU/t numbers.

Ok, trying to break this down another way: Why do you need 1,000,000,000eu stored, at a time? Is it in case your power production is destroyed by a charged creeper? Is there any reason to have more than, say, 100,000,000eu, or even 50,000,000eu at a time (maybe some of the fusion crafts for iridium, which need 90,000,000eu to start, but you SHOULD get them powered with a lower-start cost craft).

The way you need to think about it is as such: If you only ever need to have storage of 100,000,000eu at a time (your storage system will only EVER go down by that much before being filled back up), why store ten times that much? Answer that for me, please.

Also as already mentioned, idiots editing the wikis fail to understand the differance between EU/t and EU/p (not your fault)

Actually, it is (if not entirely, partially) my fault as I should have tested it (and, now that I remember, I DID test this a while ago. I forgot, but I was shooting UU matter out with five quantum generators attached to the same mattfab. Oops.).

The point of the game isnt to just make UU matter. I have a ton of other devices and factories that are sorting and processing what my several quarrys are producing. The buffers are there for many of the same reasons we have them in real life. This 1B storage will give me a very flexible pool of power to draw from and to make sure no possible eu that could have been generated during factory downtime is wasted.

Nope, but UU matter helps make the game easier in some ways. And are you never going to fill that 1,000,000,000eu buffer, then? Because, at that point, you are in the exact same boat as my 100,000,000eu buffer, except out a lot more goodies.

[DOUBLEPOST=1361657559][/DOUBLEPOST]
Because its bulky and ugly. Already have 50 of them, do not want.

If you make them in a snake fashion, they are easy enough to hide. But yeah, they are pretty ugly. I could see making one of those interdimensional buggers JUST to make things look nicer. I likely will. After I make my LESU house.

Not really just "cheaper" because it's doesn't require indium plates but everything else all add up. Like over 10 stacks of refined iron and redstone for instance. You'll also need 400 Rubies or just Lithium Batteries which are a whole lot easier to use, but making them is more complex than just stripping the world for 400 rubies. You'll also need over 600 Lapis or it's dust. So it's your choice get a ton of "easier" materials or get some indium plates and save 99 blocks of room.
I've got around 200 stacks of iron ore, so refined iron isn't an issue. And over one hundred stacks of redstone. Quarries make it a none issue. More rubies than I can process for chrome, and, yeah, it is cheaper in that I can make 100 MFSUs a lot faster from the start of the game most likely.
But in time, maybe not as I could be doing other things with my time instead of spending it making MFSUs. Although I'd also make 128 MFSUs, just to make it easier to do in stacks.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Documentation is wrong, they take unlimited number of packets with maximum packet size equal to 8096. Tested with quantum generator set to 101212 Eu/t with 512 packets connected to matter fabricator via glass fiber cable. 1 uu-matter took about 8 seconds to generate (default GT settings).

The documentation isn't wrong, it just doesn't claim it only takes 8096 EU _per_tick_. It says per packet.

It accepts up to 8192EU/p, so you can directly connect your Lightningrod to it, instead of using 4 HV-Transformers.

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, trying to break this down another way: Why do you need 1,000,000,000eu stored, at a time? Is it in case your power production is destroyed by a charged creeper? Is there any reason to have more than, say, 100,000,000eu, or even 50,000,000eu at a time (maybe some of the fusion crafts for iridium, which need 90,000,000eu to start, but you SHOULD get them powered with a lower-start cost craft).

The way you need to think about it is as such: If you only ever need to have storage of 100,000,000eu at a time (your storage system will only EVER go down by that much before being filled back up), why store ten times that much? Answer that for me, please.

Its not about needing 1bEU. Its about having the flexibility in a system. If my storage system can only go down by 100m EU, then it cannot go down by 100m+1. Some people like to brute-force energy with dozens of ulti-solar panels. To me, that is a waste of time and energy, so i put forth the mats to create this instead, as my 0.5b storage with only 6 ultisolars would often cap itself. meaning a massive chunk of EU was being wasted. I could turn up my matter fab, but frankly I really only want it for iridium to make more solar panels and that goes right back into the start of a bad logic loop. This massive buffer is a better option and allows much greater efficiantcy and flexibility. Now I can be 100% sure any new solar I put in is going to be utilized to its full potential without me having to fuck with the matter fab as some sort of bastard-child method to balance EU consumption. Instead i can have the buffer to say hey, I need lots of UUmatter right now and my 50 stacks wont cover it. I can then go dip into that buffer and have several stacks of UU in a short time without everything going to poo

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Its not about needing 1bEU. Its about having the flexibility in a system. If my storage system can only go down by 100m EU, then it cannot go down by 100m+1. Some people like to brute-force energy with dozens of ulti-solar panels. To me, that is a waste of time and energy, so i put forth the mats to create this instead, as my 0.5b storage with only 6 ultisolars would often cap itself. meaning a massive chunk of EU was being wasted. I could turn up my matter fab, but frankly I really only want it for iridium to make more solar panels and that goes right back into the start of a bad logic loop. This massive buffer is a better option and allows much greater efficiantcy and flexibility. Now I can be 100% sure any new solar I put in is going to be utilized to its full potential without me having to fuck with the matter fab as some sort of bastard-child method to balance EU consumption. Instead i can have the buffer to say hey, I need lots of UUmatter right now and my 50 stacks wont cover it. I can then go dip into that buffer and have several stacks of UU in a short time without everything going to poo
You know, that's a pretty nice point. Too bad I'm already on the path of massive power generation. But still, I just might build one myself.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

I'm sorry, but I do not understand how 1,000,000,000eu is different from 100,000,000eu in that regard. In your example, your system will end up capping itself at 1,000,000,00eu (or 1,500,000,000eu if you leave your previous system set up). And, when that happens, you cannot store any more EU. I don't understand how it makes sense to you that one billion is better than one hundred million (which is, honestly, more than you will likely need). For example, 100,000,000eu will make, with full amplification, around 6,000 pieces of UU matter, so about 93 stacks. If you need more than 93 stacks of UU matter at a time, you should be constantly producing the stuff (actually, you should be doing this anyways).

No matter the system, at some point, you are going to have excess energy if it is properly designed (if it is not, you are losing energy, which is then going to waste).

I am fully willing to admit I may just be missing something extremely important as a few people have spoken otherwise about this, but I have yet to see why, but I would love to know why. Thank you.

Edited by Neirin on Saturday, February 23, 2013 (02/23/2013) at 20:20:45 PST.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
For example, 100,000,000eu will make, with full amplification, around 6,000 pieces of UU matter, so about 93 stacks.

Gonna have to check your math there. 100,000,000/16,666,666=6 pieces of UU matter. That's not even 1 iridium. 1B EU is almost 1 stack of UU.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna have to check your math there. 100,000,000/16,666,666=6 pieces of UU matter. That's not even 1 iridium. 1B EU is almost 1 stack of UU.

Isn't it only 666,667eu with full amplification? Mm, I bet that it isn't, but NEI says it is, and I've been thinking it is this entire time. Hahah. Well then, in that case, 1,000,000,000eu is NO WHERE near enough if FIFTY STACKS of UU matter isn't going to be enough most likely. At that point, you need to start keeping trillions of EU in storage in case you happen to need a stack of iridium.

Which is irrational. You should be constantly putting your excess energy into making UU matter.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Isn't it only 666,667eu with full amplification? Mm, I bet that it isn't, but NEI says it is, and I've been thinking it is this entire time. Hahah. Well then, in that case, 1,000,000,000eu is NO WHERE near enough if FIFTY STACKS of UU matter isn't going to be enough most likely. At that point, you need to start keeping trillions of EU in storage in case you happen to need a stack of iridium.

Which is irrational. You should be constantly putting your excess energy into making UU matter.
Gregtech's Matter fab requires scrap to even run and by default costs 16,666,666 EU per UU. There is no decrease in cost like the normal mass fab does.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Gregtech's Matter fab requires scrap to even run and by default costs 16,666,666 EU per UU. There is no decrease in cost like the normal mass fab does.

Perfect, thanks. I did not know, although I've always added scrap to it to lower the cost, so I never noticed that.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
The mass fabricator (not the matter fabricator) takes 1 million EU for each UU matter without scrap and 166,666 EU if constantly using scrap. The matter fabricator will only run if supplied with scrap and requires 16,666,666 EU per UU matter (100 times more expensive) by default. Since it only runs on scrap, there is no further discount.

Greg is pretty considerate with his config, though. You can manually set the EU cost for the matter fab or re-enable the mass fab which will set the matter fab to only use 166,666 EU as though it were a standard mass fab running on scrap. The only difference would be that you wouldn't need to worry about extra redstone signaling to shut it off if no scrap was present.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
The mass fabricator (not the matter fabricator) takes 1 million EU for each UU matter without scrap and 166,666 EU if constantly using scrap. The matter fabricator will only run if supplied with scrap and requires 16,666,666 EU per UU matter (100 times more expensive) by default. Since it only runs on scrap, there is no further discount.

Greg is pretty considerate with his config, though. You can manually set the EU cost for the matter fab or re-enable the mass fab which will set the matter fab to only use 166,666 EU as though it were a standard mass fab running on scrap. The only difference would be that you wouldn't need to worry about extra redstone signaling to shut it off if no scrap was present.

Yeah, it isn't a problem for me as I just feed it scrap boxes from my quarries. I get around three stacks a day (I'm making hybrid panels exclusively with it) so that isn't too bad at all.

In my next world, I will likely set it to require 1,000,000,000eu per scrap (so 166,666,666eu amplified). As well as set some other hard mode stuff which the MindCrack pack doesn't have set.