Finally...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
L9zQoPH.png

Reactions: Geometry

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, although I've got turtles moving power between dimensions for me so my ten MFSUs is really enough power at this time. Maybe when I set up my fusion reactor, but eh, still, even then I don't think I'll need one of those guys. Good show, though!

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I've got phased pipes to teleport energy but this was probably the hardest thing I made yet. mainly for the storage! ;O

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
One of my ultra long term goals is to build a max size LESU and fill it up. I don't really have a use for it, it'd just be kinda cool to show off a 2000 block EU storage facility holding 2 Billion EU.

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Ah. Well, it's useless with one. Mwa HA HA. Now you must make two! HA HA HA HA!

Eh, being able to store a billion EU is fairly nice. And it is a GREAT deal more expensive than most cheaper ways to move power, so it isn't really worth the dough you baked the cookies out of for it, then.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, 1b EU is pretty useless.

o_O

At a certain point in power production, you are going to end up making more power than you can reasonable (discounting power sinks such as the matter fabricator, which are specifically designed to deal with this issue) use, and thus need to store. I'd say that value is around 100,000,000 eu (about two fusion reactor's starting energy requirement). After that, you likely are never going to need to use as much EU to saturate the buffer.

But being able to store 1,000,000,000 EU is an ego stroke, so whoo on you. I've got my eyes on some of those lap-storage block systems.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
At a certain point in power production, you are going to end up making more power than you can reasonable (discounting power sinks such as the matter fabricator, which are specifically designed to deal with this issue) use, and thus need to store. I'd say that value is around 100,000,000 eu (about two fusion reactor's starting energy requirement). After that, you likely are never going to need to use as much EU to saturate the buffer.

But being able to store 1,000,000,000 EU is an ego stroke, so whoo on you. I've got my eyes on some of those lap-storage block systems.
The LESU seems even more useless, sure, you can dump 2 Billion EU into it but it takes a crapton of space (make it the walls of your base?) and once you put it in, have fun getting 2 billion EU back out at a meager 512 EU/t...

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
(make it the walls of your base?)

It is as if you read my designs!

I do not really care about being able to store all of that energy. All I want to do is live INSIDE of an energy storage device.

I wonder if the LESU blocks light up, or change at all when they get power? Well, I'll have to see. Maybe I'll make it the lower half of my dolphin training pool room.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
It is as if you read my designs!

I do not really care about being able to store all of that energy. All I want to do is live INSIDE of an energy storage device.

I wonder if the LESU blocks light up, or change at all when they get power? Well, I'll have to see. Maybe I'll make it the lower half of my dolphin training pool room.

They don't, I was dicking around with them in creative.

Who do you think greg is, Soaryn?

Reactions: shanebassist

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
1B EU goes faster than you think. Matter fab is very hungry and will allow me to bruteforce iridium for ALL the toys.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
They don't, I was dicking around with them in creative.

Who do you think greg is, Soaryn?

Hah, well then, they're still some fairly nice looking blue walls. They'll go in my blue room. Yes, I have a room for just blue. Or I will, when I build one!

1B EU goes faster than you think. Matter fab is very hungry and will allow me to bruteforce iridium for ALL the toys.

As I said in my post, matter fabricators do not apply as they are an end point for energy, or an "energy sink". You can put up to 8196eu/t into a single matter fabricator (and after that, you build another). That means that you need to produce that much energy otherwise your 1,000,000,000eu storage is going to run dry, unless, for some strange reason, you turn off your matter fabricator.

Energy storage with EU is designed to work like a capacitor as well as a battery. Your systems generator power at a specific rate, but your power usage is not specific usually, so you have a fallback for power when you need more power, and when you are using less power it builds up. A matter fabricator is a constant massive drain on your power, which makes any energy storage useless.

If you've got the resources, make a fusion reactor so you can run four matter fabricators off of it at the same time at full power usage. Then make a second fusion reactor to brute force iridium (or switch off on the first whenever you need more iridium).

If you disagree, tell me how, exactly, more energy storage is helpful to you. I'd love to know if I've missed something obvious.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
First Matterfabs can take in Unlimited amount of power provided you don't up the Voltage to the 100k eu/p size, but if you split up your power to more than one matterfabs it'll be more effective than draining it to one. (25 of those advanced 512 eu/t solar panels to one seem to be good for one matterfab before dropping the effectively) Second energy storage is very powerful in situations where you got a small eu generation but need a lot of power for machines. (Like those GT machines) You let the small generation full up a bunch of MFSUs then once you need power you'll always have it at your near disposal. Now once you get a matterfab yea then who care having a bunch of energy storage just a couple MFSUs should do the trick for some cases. Even then you may want to have a good energy buffer for like huge automation setups to make sure they'll never run dry and start spilling ores on the ground or goes down the garbage.