Final Frontier - Industrial Space Exploration, first full version COMPLETE!

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
So, the early versions of Final frontier have been public for about a week now, I've been tweaking and trying to round off the pack with a few final touches for mods.

The first full version will have Simple Achievements added with a list of optional Goals/Quests that will encourage learning/using the mods in the pack. The achievements will be mostly focused on making different crazy factories on different planets and moons

I also was thinking about adding Compact Machines.

So if you have any suggestions for different factories on different planets, or a suggestion for an achievement in general feel free to give them I will take all of them under consideration.

Next Update:
Add - Magneticraft
Add - Compact Machines
Add - Simple Achievements
Update - Galaxy Space

New world gen should load in when you visit new chunks, so no world resets needed. But I don't think you will be given the new starting inventory items, you might need to craft the achievement book.

At least the start of the achievements list will be added.

You will start the game with the additions of an achievement book, an Immersive Engineering Book, and an Engineer's Hammer (cause I'm nice).

Edit: because I'm not filtering out any ore generation there is now 4 sets of ore generation, so there should be no shortage of materials. Especially with ore multiplication setups. Also Storage Drawers should unify your ingots into one type.

Here is the COMPLETED achoevement list.

Attachments

• achievementList.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

Fortanono

Aug 25, 2015
WAIT! I just realized! No Magneticraft? What?

Seriously, look it up. It's perfect for what you want to do.

Reactions: RyokuHasu

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
OMG, you are right! I'll add it to the next update! thanks!

I really appreciate your input for this pack.

Edit: Now I'll have to think up some Magneticraft based achievements lol

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hello @RyokuHasu!

I'm still in the very early stages of looking over your pack, and I think it has a lot of potential. I already added Magneticraft and Simple Achievements to my version of the pack to start checking them out, and I took a short look at Compact Machines and I must say I really DISLIKE that mod. Let me explain:

In compact machines, you can craft extra-dimensional pockets of space that you can use to store things, build complex structures (within appropriate size limits), whatever you want. You can even pipe in/out from the six sides to the outside world if you like. Starting out is not incredibly hard, and the smaller machines aren't horrifyingly expensive. The largest size machine you can make is 13x13x13 internal dimensions, and requires 8 nether stars as a main crafting ingredient.

One big caveat to all this nifty stuff is that you cannot move the block once you place it. If you try to move/break the block, all of the contents immediately explode out onto the ground, with predictably undesirable consequences.

To get into and out of this compact dimension requires the use of a hand-held device. If you lose the device (or die inside the dimension) you have to craft another before you can get back in. The device isn't particularly cheap to make.

Compare this to Dimensional Pockets, another very similar mod. It also allows you to create an extra-dimensional space to work in. Unlike Compact Machines, this mod only offers one size of pocket dimension, but it is 14x14x14 -- just a tad larger than the largest size in the other mod.

Additionally, Dimensional Pockets does NOT require you to have a special device to get into/out of the dimension. So if you derp up and die somewhere, you can get back into the dimension by merely right-clicking the block.

Dimensional pockets also offers similar functionality in transferring things between it and the outside world, but goes one step further. IT KEEPS EVERYTHING IN THE DIMENSION INTACT if you break the block and move it somewhere else. So that nice little storage room you made with thousands of resources doesn't explode all over the place if you need to pick up the block and move it somewhere else.

In fact, the dimension appears to be chunk loaded, so that (for example) you can put a furnace in the dimension, load it up with ore, pop in a stack of coal to start smelting, leave the dimension, pick up the block, take it somewhere completely different, place down the block, go back in and get your smelted ores.

It is a little more expensive to get the dimension created than the lower tier Compact Machines dimensions, but way LESS expensive than the higher tier ones.

I would strongly recommend you take a look at them yourself and see -- for me, I prefer Dimensional Pockets.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
@Senseidragon

Let me tell you a few of the reason I like Compact machines, you can link multiple Cubes(of the same size) to the same space effectively turning it into a wireless/pipeless cross-dimensional transportation option, like a Tesseract, but with more Utility. I also really like the various import and export options on them including compatibility with Logistics Pipes.
Also think about the context of the pack, with access to the digital miner and ore multiplying the cost of them isn't too expensive considering you pretty much will have stacks and stacks of resources around.

BTW, did you try moving one with a Cardboard Box? Those move just about ANYTHING.

Edit: Can Confirm, cardboard box can move them intact.

Edit2: After seeing the 2 mods be compared Side By Side, I have to say I still would prefer Compact Machines not only for it's much easier crafting, but also for the linking multiple cubes to 1 space.

I rather not have to get 8 Ghast Tears and 8 Eyes of Ender for the tools associated with Dimensional pockets. I rather farm nether stars cause I can easily make a wither skull farm by moving a spawner to the nether.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I understand what you're saying, and yes, I did confirm that you can move Compact Machines with a Mekanism Cardboard Box. Interestingly, you do NOT want to move a Dimensional Pocket with a Cardboard Box - it completely erases the contents of the Dimensional Pocket.

That being said however, I think short of the Ghast Tears (which isn't insurmountable) it's actually much easier to get a Dimensional Pocket started than it is to get a Compact Machine going.

Keep in mind, that to even get the Cardboard Box you have to set up a minimal infrastructure of some type of Generator, a Metallurgic Infuser, and a Precision Sawmill. Once you have that, the basics of a Compact Machine require about a half stack of Iron Ingots, 3/4 stack of redstone, over a stack of glass, some gold, some slimeballs, some wood, and about 3/4 stack of cobblestone. This doesn't include the outer shell of the compact machine, which can be as cheap as 8 planks or as expensive as 8 nether stars. Then you add in the (hopefully) one-time cost of the gameboy controller, requiring diamonds, nether quartz, a handful of redstone and iron ingots, some more gold ingots, a bit of glass, more slimeballs, more wood, and more cobblestone. I won't even begin to detail the required components for the infuser, precision sawmill and generator. :)

In contrast, each Dimensional Pocket costs 18 iron ingots, 9 diamonds, and 4 stone bricks. You craft 1 nether crystal and 1 end crystal as part of the recipe, but the crystals are returned when you make the pocket. The crystals are durable enough to make 4 pockets before being consumed, so the cost is relatively cheap over the long run.

One thing Compact Machines does that Dimensional Pockets do not do at all is the ability to set multiple compact machines to point to the same space.

I accomplish the 'access from multiple places' problem with the Warp Book mod. With this, not only can I set a warp point inside the dimension and other points at other locations I add, I can also then pick up the pocket dimension, stick it in my inventory, and then warp inside (and back out) of it just fine.

Enough though with my long rambling. Compact machines also work fine, and as you pointed out, once you've got a digital miner going, resources aren't a significant problem anyway.

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
Hmm. I just had an interesting thought..

If you have 2 compact machines, both set to the same place, and set the north face to transfer items out (like ingots after processing ore) and have both machines placed down in the overworld, which machine does the item come out of? is it random, round-robin, or is the item duped?

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
I do believe in that case it comes out the original cube. But I'd have to see.

Edit: well no it doesn't Dupe, it's not quite round robin either, it's more like first come first serve cause it seems my test split the stack into roughly a 33/66% split.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I just checked, it shows up on the appropriate face of both cubes. How you transfer it from that face is up to you. Items are not duped.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
So are you sold on Compact machines yet or at least willing to accept them? If you add them in I put them on Dimension 5 cause there was a conflict with dimension 3. :D

Also it was really interesting to learn you could set up IE Excavators on different planets and even the asteroids to go for special mineral veins.

Last edited:

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I'm fine with whatever you go with. It's your pack - I'm just giving my impressions and making suggestions. :)

I personally still prefer Dimensional Pockets, but I'm competent enough to use either one.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Wow I didn't realize I already have 72 Quests/Achievements (even if a handful of them are the recycled "Plant your flag here") and I'm no where near using even 1/2 the available planets. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions for facility/planet themes.

I'm not sure what quests to put on Venus...

Last edited:

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Ya I get the same problem, I'll see if updating Galaxy Space helps, if not the bug should be reported to Galaxy Space.

Edit: Ya the galaxy space 1.0.8 update that recently came out fixes Mars Space Stations, it's even in his changelog. It also fixes Buckets of liquids, and adds in more content to explore.

Last edited:

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Updated the Achievement list to include Venus and Io, also added a few more to other areas. Achivement/Quest count so far: 103.

So far I've tried to keep the sections somewhat themed to the planet/moon they take place, even if one of them is a pun.

Since each section of the list deals with specific themes or mods gameplay pacing is all over the place, sorry.

Last edited:

dingox3

Jul 29, 2019
I couldnt help noticing your issue with moving the compact machines. I know its an expensive resource at first but if you click a nether star on a compact machine it will retain all its contents when broken. Keep up the good work, we can always use more creative packs to play. Ill be interested in checking it out when its finished.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
I couldnt help noticing your issue with moving the compact machines. I know its an expensive resource at first but if you click a nether star on a compact machine it will retain all its contents when broken. Keep up the good work, we can always use more creative packs to play. Ill be interested in checking it out when its finished.

Thanks I totally forgot about the Nether star to move Compact Cubes, I only remembered you needed Nether stars to link cubes.

Anyway, I've nearly completed the Achievement list, working on Pluto now then I might do some "insanity" achievements with the other star systems and the end. I've tried to make it so you always have some sort of advancement in tech, and I've tried to make the Quest groups diverse and cover many of the key mods in the pack so you are able to get a good feel for all of them.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry I haven't posted any news about the update for a while, I've been busy.

version 1.0.0 is done and is being uploaded for review and will hopefully be live in about a week or so.

The achievement list has been completed and will be the focus of pack starting this update.