filesystem is read-only

PhanaticD

Jul 29, 2019
I have a dedicated server that was running centos and had a feed the best server running on it. the players were complaining that it crashed, and It says couldnt open files the filesystem was read-only

I tried rebooting the dedicated server and now I cannot connect to it over ssh. I have already contacted my hosting and Im waiting for a reply, but since feed the beast was the only thing running on it, was wondering if anyone could offer any insight into this problem

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
This usually means your OS and hard drive aren't getting along for whatever reason and they need to run a fsck (yes, that's the name of the command, it's short for "file system check") to get it all behaving again (whether they open up a remote KVM session and have you do this yourself or whether they themselves do that will depend on what level of support you're paying for, I guess). The hard drive wasn't performing up to what the OS "thought" it should do and went all panic-mode and locked everything down to try and minimize potential damage, basically.

This could be indicative of a number of things, but usually it means your hard drive probably isn't the most stable part of your system. That said, I had a dedicated box that'd throw this kind of error every six months or so that ended up lasting for four years before we decommissioned her this past summer. I wouldn't say it's anything the FTB server software itself precipitated, but it definitely could've been aggravated by it; Minecraft is rather I/O happy when it's running and a lot of the time the bottleneck will end up being how fast it can write to hard disk and read stuff up, and a number of mods only exacerbate this (I'm looking at you, Twilight Forest).

Verdict: See what your hosting company says about it, obviously, but definitely take backups of whatever may be vital on the server and if it survives this round and it happens again later, demand the company actually look at the hardware and ensure it isn't flaking out on you.

PhanaticD

Jul 29, 2019
I got a email saying they rebooted it and I was able to log in and start up the server again, thanks for the reply though

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Heh, yeah... if they didn't actually run a fsck then you may still have issues, however... but I think the best teacher in these cases is probably experience rather than me trying to nanny you with what I've run into. Good luck. =)