Fermenter to Still Ratio?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Darkblock306

Jul 29, 2019
I know that Biomass converts to biofuel at a 33% ratio, and my workshop has plenty of biomass but not enough biofuel. What is the best amount of stills per fermenter?

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it's between 4 and 5 (could be wrong), so 4 per fermenter for maximum efficiency.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that my single still will produce so much biomass that, at times, I need four stills running to be able to keep up with it. I am also making a LOT of sugarcane, and compressing them into compressed plantballs, so that may be part of the issue.

Lasted edited by Poppycocks on Monday, February 25, 2013 (02/25/2013) at 14:39:01 PST.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I've found that my single fermenter will produce so much biomass that, at times, I need four stills running to be able to keep up with it. I am also making a LOT of sugarcane, and compressing them into compressed plantballs, so that may be part of the issue.
Fixed

I've got 2x4:16, usually it's enough, sometimes it's not.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Plantballs are less efficient than sugar cane. Each sugar cane is worth 200 mB and each Plantball is worth 400 mB. Considering you need 8 sugar cane to make 1 plantball, that means you use 1,600 mB worth of sugarcane to make 400 mB worth of plantballs, so just putting sugar cane in is 4 times more effective.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Fixed

I've got 2x4:16, usually it's enough, sometimes it's not.

Ah, right, you are correct. Besides that, though, it is better to build your system with overflow on the far ends versus ending up with underflow. So, more stills than fermenters need, just in case. A system designed with that in mind is easy to upgrade. Dangerously easy to upgrade:

And here is one at the default FOV for better reference:

This is the reason you learn how to use turtles.

~~~

Plantballs are less efficient than sugar cane. Each sugar cane is worth 200 mB and each Plantball is worth 400 mB. Considering you need 8 sugar cane to make 1 plantball, that means you use 1,600 mB worth of sugarcane to make 400 mB worth of plantballs, so just putting sugar cane in is 4 times more effective.
It is more efficient in regards to fertilizer usage, and, well, look up a few centimeters. I'm making around one thousand buckets of biofuel a day more than I need, and that is with most of it not even set up.
I may switch to just sugarcanes if I ever get around to setting up a mulch setup.

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
I use 6 for one fermenter. Way more than is needed when it's running on water, but less than that will overflow when I introduce apple juice into the mix.