Fast Mods update launcher suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
Some mods like GregTech updates too fast for FTB team to keep up with it, so here is a suggestion to solve it:
Make the launcher check for mods update at startup, and list every mods that are updated and can be downloaded now with their changelog. And in the options, put a checkbox for auto updating.

How to possibly implement this:

Launcher: At startup check for updates at the update/download server, and if there is an update show it in the client like this:
Mod X has an update
Changelog:
something
Update: Y/N
Then, if the user authorize the update, the launcher sends a HTTP download request to the mod download server and download it, and at the same time backup the save folder to another location so in the event the updated mod is unstable and crash the world the user can restore from backup. If auto update checkbox is enabled there is no yes and no option.

Server:
There is probably several ways this can be implemented:
1. Use the Creeper hosting server and the mod maker either manually enters the updated mod to it or the Creeper hosting server sync with the mod server and the launcher sync from it
2. Have the launcher sync directly from the mod server, with the IP address provided from the Creeper hosting server

Possible problems and solutions:
1. FTB my world is crashing plz help its your new autoupdate stuff thingy is causing the problem plz remove it
Solution: Do a world backup to a location every time the mod automatically updates

2. FTB your autoupdating stuff is DDoSing my server plz blacklist my server from it
Solution: Well use the Creeperhost to host the downloaded updated mods and sync the mod from the mods server

3. FTB I don't want the launcher to automatically update mod without modder permission
Solution: Both of the server side implementations needs to modder to register the updated mod into FTB, so this auto update is in opt-in basis for the modder

4. FTB I don't want launcher automatically update my mods because I'm afraid my save will be destroyed
Solution: Add a checkbox to prevent mod update message from happening, but the launcher will automatically backup the world file at default, so it shouldn't make people worried

5. How about current FTB packages?
Solution: They will be somewhat like config pack but they still downloaded the mod at first pack startup

6. How about if client auto-updated the mod and the server mod version doesn't match?
Solution: This is kinda hard... but I can think of 2 ways for solving this
1. Make 2 folders one is for out of package mods one is for the updated mods, so if the client have mismatch with the server the client can use the original package mods instead of the updated mods
2. If for private pack they could probably disable the auto update by default or set a flag in the config to prevent updating

That is my suggestion with maybe all the possible problem

Reactions: Hugh Bellamy

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
This was really hard for me to read. One of the reasons they don't do this is because if they have mods auto update it is almost guaranteed to crash or corrupt something, and if that happens they will have hundred of whining little kids storming the forums asking them to fix it. A much easier way to do this is to extensively test every time they are going to update mods to make sure all the mods play nicely together and then when it is ready they push it all out in one big update like they do currently. That way they can completely bypass the stage of whiny little kids flooding their forums.

Dragonborn Engineer

Jul 29, 2019
World backup to another location at mod update? And an option to revert to old mods if the auto updated mod is reverted?
1. FTB my world is crashing plz help its your new autoupdate stuff thingy is causing the problem plz remove it
Solution: Do a world backup to a location every time the mod automatically updates

Gr3n

Jul 29, 2019
That still won't fix the problems of the fact that some people just don't pay attention to anything like that and their first thought is just to go straight to the forums and ask for help. Even if you spell it out in big bold letters people will still just breeze right over it and ignore it.

Reactions: Nerixel

Tsugaga

Jul 29, 2019
Mods can't auto update because these updates could happen any any time, even tens of times a day if there are many mods. This would cause a huge issue for servers because they would also need to constantly download the updates and add them to their server, otherwise players can't join.

Status
Not open for further replies.