Bug False review/votes from whitelisting applications

Deimos

Jul 29, 2019
So after not having a server posting on here for a couple of months, I've come back to see that the whole forum has change. Which is fantastic by the way.
What I've noticed though, is that servers are ordered by popularity or how many star ratings it has received.

I find this method to be incredible flawed.
I've been going through a couple of whitelisted server threads and people have been submitting their whitelist application via the server review and giving them a 5 star rating, thus giving them a more popular listing and keeping them near the top.

I feel that this strong flaws the whole server review system.

Deimos

Jul 29, 2019
But you have to give a star rating in order to submit your whitelist post.
This is what I am saying is flawed.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I'll also throw this out there. I am somewhat unique in that I don't accept applications for my server here on the forums. Instead, I ask that people join me in TeamSpeak. I like to talk to them 1st before I allow them on my server. As a result, I don't get comments or reviews of my server. While it isn't a large server by any means. I feel that this method has essentially killed applications to my server.

Deimos

Jul 29, 2019
I'll also throw this out there. I am somewhat unique in that I don't accept applications for my server here on the forums. Instead, I ask that people join me in TeamSpeak. I like to talk to them 1st before I allow them on my server. As a result, I don't get comments or reviews of my server. While it isn't a large server by any means. I feel that this method has essentially killed applications to my server.
Me and my staff thought about asking them to fill out a form on our website, but hats just another thing they have to join so we decided against it.

I think there should be a whitelist type of option like the review system.

Kellador

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that this method has essentially killed applications to my server.
That's the biggest problem with this, anyone who doesn't go with the current method actively puts their server at a disadvantage.
Ideally there'd just be two buttons, one to give a rating and review and one next to it to just leave a reply, doesn't even matter if they're still displayed along the reviews, just the applications/comments won't have any sort of rating.

Captainnana

Jul 29, 2019
I will edit the rules to stop this from happening, if you then see anyone doing this in the whitelist application area you can report them and the mods will take action on it. I'll also add a couple of other filters maybe by time created or something along that lines so people can filter in different ways.

I've got it in by diary to come back and look at this system on the 14th of June so new filters and rules should be implemented then if I don't get round to it before

Reactions: Padfoote and Deimos

Deimos

Jul 29, 2019
I will edit the rules to stop this from happening, if you then see anyone doing this in the whitelist application area you can report them and the mods will take action on it. I'll also add a couple of other filters maybe by time created or something along that lines so people can filter in different ways.

I've got it in by diary to come back and look at this system on the 14th of June so new filters and rules should be implemented then if I don't get round to it before
Progress!
Thanks for taking this on board.

Reactions: Padfoote

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to add a tab to the server listings?

The tab could have a built in form with the simple "IGN, Age, Reason for joining, What can you contribute, Questions/comments" questions that seem to be the standard for everyone, and the submit button sends the responses to the listing creator via PM.

This would probably solve the problem all together, but I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to code

Some people might find creating a google form daunting. At first look it could seem a little complicated and scary (or just too much trouble), so I took the liberty of creating a sort of "standard model" that people can use by simply copying over to their own google account and then posting the link to that.

This link should work: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1693GmAfa0fgbwYhK-DRiQteA0a2Vcu8L_opMRtBGMqM/copy

For server owners, all they have to do is click "make a copy" then "View live form" and use the link from the live form in their server listing somewhere.

Responses should appear in a spreadsheet. To make sure, It could be a good idea to click "Responses" and then "Unlink form" and then "choose response destination" and then just click "Create"

Reactions: Deimos

Deimos

Jul 29, 2019
Would it be possible to add a tab to the server listings?

The tab could have a built in form with the simple "IGN, Age, Reason for joining, What can you contribute, Questions/comments" questions that seem to be the standard for everyone, and the submit button sends the responses to the listing creator via PM.

This would probably solve the problem all together, but I'm not sure how much trouble it would be to code

Some people might find creating a google form daunting. At first look it could seem a little complicated and scary (or just too much trouble), so I took the liberty of creating a sort of "standard model" that people can use by simply copying over to their own google account and then posting the link to that.

This link should work: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1693GmAfa0fgbwYhK-DRiQteA0a2Vcu8L_opMRtBGMqM/copy

For server owners, all they have to do is click "make a copy" then "View live form" and use the link from the live form in their server listing somewhere.

Responses should appear in a spreadsheet. To make sure, It could be a good idea to click "Responses" and then "Unlink form" and then "choose response destination" and then just click "Create"

Thats what I was hoping for.
Instead I just made a dedicated forum thread, Kinda the same idea but this way they have to sign up to my site which some people dont like doing.