Fallen Star : Path to Ascension Modpack (prototype)

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I have delved into modpack creation using MultiMC, and though I am terrible with config files and can only manage to do the simplest of scripts using C++ or Basic, I have started working on a modpack idea that I have had for awhile. The pack is in it's prototype phase, and now I am at a point where I am looking for help and feedback from people in the community.

Before I continue, let me give you the story of my modpack.

Fallen%20Star.jpg

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Fallen Star – Path to Ascension.

You belong to a divine race, one of many that have appeared at the beginning of time. Amongst your fellow divines, you have done many wonderous things, such creating creatures of imagination, unique plant forms, interesting intelligent peoples, and shaping entire worlds.

However, mistrust within your race runs high, as the potential for a divine to go corrupt is great, and corrupt divines have caused untold chaos, misfortune, and suffering through the ages. Thus any being that shows the potential for corruption is eliminated, no matter how good their intentions are, no matter how severe the act is. This is how you fell.

It began with intense competition between you and one of your siblings, competition always involves some sort of conflict between people, and this conflict lead to heated arguments. After a while, the arguments became more and more confrontational until fighting began breaking out. It only took one fight to alert the others to what was happening, and they took immediate and harsh action. Both of you were banished from the group, stripped of your divinity, and sent to forsaken worlds to live out the rest of your lives as mortals.

However, some divines have taken pity on you, and seek to help you out, to give you a chance to redeem yourself, and to regain your divine powers. They will be monitoring your progress, and guiding you when possible. They have to be very cautious, cause if their actions are discovered, they too will be banished.

You wake up on a desert world. Your powers of creation and controlling the elements are no more, neither is your ability to fly through the air, space, and time. You are now mortal, and have to attend to your hunger and thirst to survive. You only have a guide book put on your body by the other divines who pitied you, and you have one mission: Find a way to turn this desert world into one full of life and civilization and eventually regain your divine powers.
____________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, so with the story out of the way, this is a desert survival modpack with the goal of terraforming the world and unlocking divine powers.

I have uploaded the modpack to dropbox so that others can take a look at what I have done so far. https://www.dropbox.com/s/clx0yzdkwhmvqu3/Fallen Star - Path to Ascension.zip?dl=0

Here is an image a created for the quest book:

Here is a list of mods so far:

Baubles
Biome World Types (listed as example mod)
Botania
Code Chicken Core
CoFH Core
Ex Astris
Ex Nihilo
Hunger in Peace
HQM
JourneyMap
Mantle
Minecraft Comes Alive (?)
MineFactory Reloaded
MystCraft
NEI Addons
NEI Integration
Not Enough Items
Pam's DesertCraft
Pam's HarvestCraft
Thermal Dynamics
Thermal Expansion
Thermal Foundation
TIC Tooltips
Tinkers' Construct
ttCore
Waila
Waila Harvestability
Waila Plugins
Witchery

Planned Mods:

Mob Drop Crops
Chisel
Pam's Clay Spawn
Agricraft
Extra Utilities
Enviromine or Survivalism

So, please check it out. Tell me what you think, is there anything that I can add to make desert life a little bit easier at the start, or to add to theme of the pack which is ascending to godhood.

One more thing. As work on this modpack continues, there are things I will need help with, which is one of the reasons why i uploaded the pack to dropbox. These include:

1. Creating a desert world map for people to install. This pack is meant to be played in a desert world. I have installed the mod Biome World Types. However with that mod, a player can select any world type he/she wants, and so a world type other than desert would break this modpack. This is the reason why I want to create a custom map for it. However, i have never done anything like that, and so I need help.
2. Editing config files. (config files are really confusing to me, and the last time I messed with a config file, I broke whatever mod/game required it.
3. Doing things with Minetweaker and Modtweaker. (both of those require scripting, and I am not able to write scripts, nor am I able to debug them.

Finally, I need help figuring the quest rewards for HQM that is done in a balanced way. There are certain things that the player cannot acquire, and so must be given to them via the rewards. However, it must be balanced in a way that provides a sense of progression.

Things that need to be in the rewards:
1. Food
2. A Seedling
3. fuel for torches and furnaces
4. Floral Fertilizer for botania
and other thngs you can't find in a desert.

Last edited:
Reactions: buggirlexpres

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Use Lockdown to lock your world spawn type, Take a look at the rewards structure in regrowth, ie load it & use edit mode to view the quests & rewards that should give you a good idea as I see it one of the best balanced packs around still, mystcraft is still very buggy maybe try RFtools for secondary world creation but make sure its late in the quest line & requires a hell of a lot of power, as it will break all balance because you can make custom dimensions, if your lucky maybe one or two of the well know mod pack creators will point you in the right direction for learning what you need to know.

Good luck with your pack.

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure how to use lockdown. There is very little instructions on it in the minecraft forums. Do you know how to lock the world type?

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
So I already put Minecraft Comes Alive, Pam's Harvestcraft, Witchery, HQM, and Mystcraft into the pack, and have begun trying to write the quests. So far I have three. The first quest is about just collecting cacti to create wooden planks which you can do thanks to Pam's DesertCraft. That quest earns you bread for food an coal to make torches.

From there it branches into the next two quests. One is about creating dirt by making composting barrels thanks to Ex Nihilo. That quest reward is some oak saplings, floral fertilizer and the choice of either more bread or more coal. I am considering branching off an entirely new questline from that one that focuses on terraforming the desert into a forest.

The third is a quest to build a tinkers cactus pickaxe using a tool workshop in any town they may find. The quest reward is the choice of bread or coal.

Last edited:

Piedpipr314

Jul 29, 2019
I recently ran into a mod by Vaskii that may solve your Botania problems. http://botaniamod.net/dl.php?file=GardenOfGlass.jar Yes, it makes Botania super easy in some aspects, designed for a skyblock, which you do not have. However you can legitimately implement Botania into a world that you should have little. The last time I checked out the pack, it was easy for me to get Botania going even without floral fertilizer. Some Bonemeal and grass is really all that you need.

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still considering the garden of glass add-on you recommended for Botania. i am also thinking of adding a mod that add's a thirst mechanic to the game, either the Survivalism mod or the Eviro-Mine Mod. The only problem with those is that if you play on Peaceful I don't think the thirst mechanic carries over, and this pack is mostly a peaceful mode modpack. That is why I have the hunger in peace mod in there.

Meanwhile I had a crash playing this modpack on my macbook pro. I looked into it and discovered that it had to do something about Minecraft Comes Alive. I sent the author the crash report via a pm on the Minecraft forums, but I haven't gotten an answer back from him. On top of that I am starting to wonder why I originally put it in, because as far as I can see there really is no need for that mod in my pack. I may just remove it.

Also, does anybody know what mod Regrowth uses to allow people to make tinker's tools without raw wood. The biggest problem that I am having in my pack is that because there is no raw wood, you can't build a parts builder for tinker's construct. I had a quest for the player to go to a town to use the parts builder in the tool workshop building tinker's adds to towns, but in my last test I found a town without that building, which made making the parts builder impossible, I need to find an alternative for whoever plays the pack.

Talking about quests, where I can post a request for helpers writing hqm quests?

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
Going back over my story made me realize why i had put in Minecraft Come Alive. I intended it to be mod to enable the player to build up the towns they find into big cities with huge populations, basically building up the native civilization to grandness. If there is another mod that is better for that, let me know, otherwise I may drop that part of the back and that goal all together.