Windows .exe Failure to Load Modpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarSeekerDragon

Jul 29, 2019
This problem started up about the time I updated my Java to the current setting (about last year). It's been months since I've played any FTB, and it hurts to see so many new things added in and I'm unable to play any. :C

I'll try to add as much info as I can.

Windows 7, 64-bit
Java 7 Update 51 (64-bit)
Launcher version 1.3.4
I have gone through the troubleshooting guide.
http://pastebin.com/gYihddmJ

Now the Launcher opens just fine. However when I click on a modpack (any modpack, except New World, where it only loads up regular Minecraft), it'll slowly start to load up, and then it'll stop and bring me back to the Launcher.
I'm not at all tech savvy (I used to with Windows '98 and a little with XP), so any explanation will have to be explained as if talking to a young child. Sorry. I'm very easily confused and slow, and sometimes prone to asking dumb questions.
Sorry again if this has happened before with others and it was solved a million times. I'm genuinly unsure where to find the answer to my problem.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
What antivirus program do you have? You may have to add the FTB install folder to the antivirus exclusions list (C:\Users\Mariah\Desktop\FTB for reference, great job going through the troubleshooting guide!).

Unfortunately, this differs between each antivirus program (and many times differs between major versions of the same antivirus), but somewhere in the settings should be something about excluding files/folders, which is where you should add your install folder.

Marcel van Dongen

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Tristam, that the antivirus is probably the problem. Try that suggestion first.
If that doesn't help, redownload the mod pack. On the options pane in the launcher there's an button called 'Force update'. You press this button and then start the mod pack. This will force the launcher to download the mod pack again. It looks to me that you have some mods that haven't downloaded correctly.

StarSeekerDragon

Jul 29, 2019
What antivirus program do you have? You may have to add the FTB install folder to the antivirus exclusions list (C:\Users\Mariah\Desktop\FTB for reference, great job going through the troubleshooting guide!).

Unfortunately, this differs between each antivirus program (and many times differs between major versions of the same antivirus), but somewhere in the settings should be something about excluding files/folders, which is where you should add your install folder.

I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security. And I went to my Exceptions List and whitelisted the launcher^FTB_Launcher.exe. Unless there's more I was suppose to whitelist.
Strange though, my antivirus program never went after FTB before. I have the same antivirus program on my laptop, and I tested to see if FTB would work there. It does (without being whitelisted), but unfortunately my laptop isn't built for gaming.

StarSeekerDragon

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with Tristam, that the antivirus is probably the problem. Try that suggestion first.
If that doesn't help, redownload the mod pack. On the options pane in the launcher there's an button called 'Force update'. You press this button and then start the mod pack. This will force the launcher to download the mod pack again. It looks to me that you have some mods that haven't downloaded correctly.

Redownload all of FTB or the specific modpack(s)? I've tried redownloading FTB a few times. Is there any difference between .exe and .jar?
And before I start playing I make sure it's on Force Update. At one point I even tinkered around by disabling a couple modpacks, but unfortunately didn't work.
Ugh I almost feel like getting a new computer. Or at least formatting this one. (it's still new, almost a year old) I'm not sure if that'd help, but it's all I can really think of.

StarSeekerDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Does FTB still run on Java 6, or does it run on 7? If it still does, I don't even know which Java 6 file I'm suppose to download (there's so many).

I almost feel like finding a local computer guy to see if they can fix things up on my PC (gotta avoid one guy who treats Java like it's the plague). Or I'll hafta build up enough money to get myself a gaming-compatible laptop.
Starting to feel kinda hopeless. :\

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Don't use Java 6. There's no reason to use it. Always use the latest version of Java, which currently is 1.7.0_51 (which you have).

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
I have Trend Micro Titanium Maximum Security. And I went to my Exceptions List and whitelisted the launcher^FTB_Launcher.exe. Unless there's more I was suppose to whitelist.
Strange though, my antivirus program never went after FTB before. I have the same antivirus program on my laptop, and I tested to see if FTB would work there. It does (without being whitelisted), but unfortunately my laptop isn't built for gaming.
Are you still having problems with that same error? If so... Actually if you read the post by Tristam Izumi again he never suggested adding that to the whitelist. He said add this folder, C:\Users\Mariah\Desktop\FTB, to the exceptions list. Also be sure to check any boxes that say 'include sub-folders'

Edit: Not sure if this is for your exact version, but should help you add the exception.

Reactions: Tristam Izumi

StarSeekerDragon

Jul 29, 2019
Are you still having problems with that same error? If so... Actually if you read the post by Tristam Izumi again he never suggested adding that to the whitelist. He said add this folder, C:\Users\Mariah\Desktop\FTB, to the exceptions list. Also be sure to check any boxes that say 'include sub-folders'

Edit: Not sure if this is for your exact version, but should help you add the exception.

*gasp* Omg.... I think it's working! :O
OMG THANK YOU. I've been dying to play FTB again for several months. *cries*
I had no idea... I mean my anti-virus program has never given me issues before with FTB. Very strange.

Anywhoo thank you very much, both you lavarthan and Tristam! :D I knew that 2014 was going to be a good year. :)

Edit: Sorry Tristam for not reading your comment correctly. At the time I only whitelisted the FTB_launcher and not the entire folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.