Factorization Servos: Practical Applications

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization servos look really cool and seem like they have a ton of potential but they aren't very intuitive (imho). So I am making this thread in the hope that some good documentation can be collected. I hope that others will contribute with their own servo knowledge and applications.

Also here is the best official documentation I have been able to find although it is a little incomplete.
http://purpleposeidon.github.io/FzDocs/html/

I will start with a sugar cane farm which seems like an easy start to learning servos. Before being able to start this project you will need the following:

• At least 2 logic matrix programmers (these can be copied so you don't have to find them both in dungeons. Maybe a server friend can copy both of them for you)
  • Factorization power (the rails transfer power among themselves but you need to apply power at at least one point).
  • A reasonable amount of dark iron (18 will get you a stack of servo rails, one servo and 10 instruction plates)
  • Blank logic matrices (crafted with a block of redstone by aqua regia in a crystalliser. They take 20 minutes so prepare them ahead of time.)
  • One lacerator, one item shifter
When you have crafted your servo and your servo rails you can start to lay out your sugar cane farm. I went for 4 rows of cane around 2 rows of water. I then laid the servo rail 2 blocks above the ground around where all my sugar cane would grow. I built a small segment of servo rail that was one block higher to allow for a bit of extra automation space.

The finished farm looks like this.

2014-02-11_21.05.37.png

It is a whole circuit with a prong in the middles that allow the servo to reach the inner rows of cane.

Mount your servo onto the rail by right clicking and with a lacerator in your hand, right click on the servo to affix the lacerator onto the servo's socket. The lacerator will automatically work on any block it faces so the main thing to take care of is making sure the servo is always facing the right way so the lacerator can work.

To do this you need to craft yourself some instructions. These are crafted with an instruction plate, a logic matric programmer and another item depending on instruction type. The logic matric programmer does not get used up in any recipe by the way. To make this farm I needed 5 different instructions,
  • Trap (so I can make an on/off switch
  • Set direction (you may not need this if you choose a different farm layout)
  • Point top (very important for orienting the servo)
  • Redstone pulse (essential for emptying servos inventory)
  • Set speed (I made my servo a bit slower but I don't think it matters - if you use a growth quickener like the lamp of growth though it may be wise to increase servo speed)
Around the farm there were several points where the servo needed to have its orientation changed.
Get the point top instruction and right click a servo rail with it. This will not use up the instruction. Then use your logic matrix programmer to cycle through the point top face. When a servo passes over this rail it will point its top (where the lacerator is) in the direction of this symbol (the light blue one above the battery box).

2014-02-11_21.18.06.png

If you place the instruction on the wrong rail, shift-right click it with the logic matrix programmer to remove it.

If you need to direct the servo through a junction as I had to you need to use the set direction instruction.

It will show an arrow in the direction it will send the servo. You don't have to put the instruction on the actual junction. You can put the instruction on a straight rail and it will turn in that direction at the next available opportunity.

When you have configured your rail so that the lacerator is always facing your sugar cane you need to get your sugar cane out of the servo using an item shifter which is a socket part. Place an inventory down and put a socket on it. Right click the socket with the item shifter to apply it. The item shifter should be pointing at the servo rail so that the servo can pass over it. Configure the item shifter by right clicking it with a logic matrix programmer.

2014-02-11_21.26.13.png

Flow direction: Import to back
Transfer mode: Pulse some amount
Amount: 64
Target Slot: Any slot

I have configured it like this so that when it receives a redstone pulse it will attempt to pull out up to 64 items and place it in the attached inventory. To give it that redstone pulse you can apply the redstone pulse instruction onto the adjacent servo rail so that the servo will pulse it when it passes over allowing its inventory to be emptied.

2014-02-11_21.26.06.png

I hope you found that useful, and if anyone has anything else to add to this thread I would be really happy because I would love to get into servos more. Thanks for reading

Attachments

• 2014-02-11_20.28.33.png
    2014-02-11_20.28.33.png
    881 KB · Views: 189

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
If I can get this much working, I might see if I can get a router to work in place of an item shifter. Wouldnt need to be pulsed. If that works I might also try to see if I can constantly pull from the servo by setting up a wall of barrels for the servo to run along so it stays in the "network". Might need a filter to ensure the router ignores everything else.

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
If that works then that would be really cool, but I am skeptical because the servos are entities. I think itemshifters are to servos what un/loaders are for railcraft carts. But maybe routers have that functionality too, I really don't know.

Also I have attempted to tack a cactus farm onto my existing sugar cane farm. Setting up the rail was easy it just needs to above where the cactus is otherwise the rail will just break the cactus. Also, even if you set the servo to its lowest speed it usually passes over the cactus before it can even break it. I have concluded that servos are not necessarily good at cactus farming. There are a couple of instructions I am going to test out though to see if they help.

Wolfie_Waffle

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, use a robotic arm and a socket pulse. Can't believe it took me that long to figure it out. Now if only there was a way to make the servo only come around when all the crops were grown...

Broomstone

Jul 29, 2019
Also here is my contribution to this thread: A timer! (A very long timer)

ZibWo28.png

The servo will be running over this line.

N4fzPig.png

Every time the servo passes this subroutine it will add 1 to the number it contains starting from zero. And also reprint the number twice

j3jyXkN.png

Here it will consume one of the printed numbers and compare if it is equal to 1000, if it is not the servo will not pass the set direction instruction and bounce back. However, When the comparison becomes true, the servo will skip the set direction instruction and continue its way and pulse a redstone signal

And when it comes back it restarts the cycle.