Fact about finding Mystcraft pages

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
In my previous couple worlds I noticed that I had a hard time finding anything other than biome pages. So my next world I made had Twilight Forest and Biomes O' Plenty disabled.

I found most of the non-biome pages quite quickly in that world. It looks like Mystcraft assigns an equal chance to each individual page and randomly picks one from the entire list when you find a page. So the more biomes, the harder it is to find anything else.

Reactions: PhilHibbs

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing some of the more Important/expensive pages are only obtainable from the Villager?
Clear Modifier being one along with Diamond Block?

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm guessing some of the more Important/expensive pages are only obtainable from the Villager?
Clear Modifier being one along with Diamond Block?
I didn't know that some pages were villager-only, is that true? And I wouldn't group those two together - Clear Modifiers is, or used to be, almost essential for creating stable ages. Diamond Block is just an OP nice-to-have page, which would be reasonable to restrict to villagers only.

xSINZx

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know that some pages were villager-only, is that true? And I wouldn't group those two together - Clear Modifiers is, or used to be, almost essential for creating stable ages. Diamond Block is just an OP nice-to-have page, which would be reasonable to restrict to villagers only.
I did say I was Guessing. Although I created a world and most of the pages found (for me) in the little huts. Were Biomes. Seem to recall that some of the more elusive pages would come from the Villager of the Mod. Just something I read or watched somewhere. Don't quote me FFS. :)

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I had 130 different biome symbols before giving up in our previous world. Still didn't have standard lighting... :)

I heard that DW20 and the others on Forgecraft spawned a creative notebook (all symbols) in at the start of the world that all can share. This is probably a much better idea than trying to manually get the symbols when BoP is enabled.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I heard that DW20 and the others on Forgecraft spawned a creative notebook (all symbols) in at the start of the world that all can share. This is probably a much better idea than trying to manually get the symbols when BoP is enabled.
They did that for two things: to make a Digger age so people wouldn't quarry the overworld, and to make a lava age so people didn't need to pump the nether. I'm pretty sure the then destroyed the notebook, and if anyone wants an age with uranium tendrils and diamond ore for dirt, they have to go find the pages themselves.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
They did that for two things: to make a Digger age so people wouldn't quarry the overworld, and to make a lava age so people didn't need to pump the nether. I'm pretty sure the then destroyed the notebook, and if anyone wants an age with uranium tendrils and diamond ore for dirt, they have to go find the pages themselves.

I didn't see the episode myself, but I guess your right. Having those symbols right out of the gate is probably a bit much.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Normally I'd recommend disabling a lot of the mod added biome pages, if only to restrict things like Twilight Forest, Nether and Promised Land biomes to their respective dimensions so that people actually had to go there, but Mystcraft has changed such that adding biomes dynamically is easier yet not descriptive in the config. I'm looking at 254 lines of B:biome###.enabled=true and am not sure how to figure out which is which. Maybe NEI can export a list...

Okay, it's easier than I thought it was. The numbers are just the biome ID's which can be found in the respective config files of the mods that add them. So if one wanted to turn off Twilight Forest symbol pages, one would disable biome79, 80, 85, 82, 86, 87, 78, 73, 70, 81, 83, 84. 74, 77, 76, 75, 71 and 72 in the mystcraft symbols.cfg. At least in the default configs for Unleashed anyway.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
Servers often restrict players from generating their own mystcraft ages anyways, because creating all those worlds uses up huge resources on the server. So I'd guess it is quite common for a server admin to create a few ages and then disallow additional creation except for mining age resets.

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I can tell none of the pages are villager only. It's just that the more pages there are the less likely you are to find a page you need.

If Mystcraft determined pages by catagory first and them specific page it would just make finding a specific biome harder. But right now all those biomes means you have to spend more time wandering an age for pages to make the age you want.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kind of meh on the idea of just finding glyphs anyway. It's supposed to be a language.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I use the creative book, but I only pick out certain modifiers, like standard lighting, and Clear modifiers. All the other stuff I acquire the hard way.

The one I've always had trouble locating is Crystals.