Extremely odd fps lag

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
This is hard to explain, so here is a in game pic with the debug screen and a hardware monitor screenshot during the event.
KkWvszB.png
c0fbd26e35e2035ecfa8b5243e7a2c1d.png
Using the args for fast computers box on the options tab, 5GB of RAM(This is a huge custom pack, and yes it still happens with 2-4).
PC Specs:
EVGA GTX 660 2GB SC
8GB RAM
120GB SSD
AMD FX-8320
Windows 7 64 Bit
64Bit Java version 7 update 60
It doesn't happen constantly, but it happens enough to make me ask for help.
Any ideas?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Try closing out the FTB launcher process as it can get caught in an infinite loop and will eat up any and all memory.

If the pack has EnderIO and you're using any of the machines; remove them. The 1.6.4 versions carry the possibility(likely possibility) of causing huge fps issues and massive amount of chunk updates.

My bad, I didn't read the OP.

Are you actually trying to help people? If you're not you really should avoid this type of thread.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Are you actually trying to help people? If you're not you really should avoid this type of thread.
You're job is not to criticize, it is to help. I suggested what was told to me when I posted this thread, and I'm sorry if I can't always be serious.
If you patrolled around a bit more, you would have found another thread I was contributing in, I don't get why one post is getting you so annoyed.

If anything, I suggest using alternative JVM arguments.

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't had issues before recently, normally I get 100+ fps depending on what I am doing.
I have tried different java args and even tried my own.
IRCC it happened w/o optifine but I will test again today.
As for the better computer comment, did you see the hardware status at the time? Nothing besides my RAM was near being maxed, and like I said it happens with only 4GB too.
These are some of the java args I tried using beforehand
Code:
-Xms4096m -XX:permSize=256m -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=85

-Xms4096m -XX:permSize=256m -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=1 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:-DisableExplicitGC

-Xms4096m -XX:permSize=256m -XX:InitiatingHeapOccupancyPercent=85 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -XX:-DisableExplicitGC
I was having issues with the garbage collector in the nether earlier so if the GC args look odd that is why.
Also during this event, according to opis the only tileent being rendered was a chest, and that only took 10(us, ms whatever it was) update time.
Restarting ftb normally does fix it, but I would prefer to find the cause of it instead of using a temp solution.
This is when playing on a hosted server btw, so the load on the CPU is minimal
EDIT: If it helps, here is the mod list.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Then I'm going to bet it's the launcher falling into an infinite loop eating memory client side.

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
Any idea why it would just now start?
I haven't had issues in the past.
Also could that be why ftb was using more memory than allocated?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
You should definitely start with lowering the RAM. That modlist looks smaller than monster, and monster runs best in the 2-2.5 gig range.

We could also use a lot more specific information. What were you doing at the time, what kind of stuff do you have around you, anything you can think of. Try to be precise. ( BTW: The difference between the "us" and ms is critical. That weird us stands for Micro Seconds, and it is 1/1000th of a millisecond, or ms. 10 milliseconds is actually massive for most things, and that can quickly add up. For example, 100 fps means a frame is drawn every 10ms. So, if 1 single thing takes up 10ms, you can see how that is quickly going to drop your performance a lot. )

Also, what else do you have running? Sometimes a program will try to download an update, or AV can try to do a scan, or maybe even just have some hiccup that has a ripple effect on your computer, slowing everything down.

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
It is more intensive than any other modpack that I've played, including monster.
It was micro seconds.
The only thing I really have running is google chrome.
There is a huge base around me, but when the spike hit I wasn't really even doing anything oddly enough.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Could you see if you can have Opis running when a lag spike hits? It would be interesting to see if Opis could tell us more.
A java profiling application like Visual VM would also work.

Reactions: Padfoote

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
I did during one, nothing under render was taking up much at all, I'll check tickrate next time a spike hits tho.
It seems it mostly occurs after the server has restarted and I re-join, but not always.

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
Problem occurred again without optifine, running on 4GB of RAM.
Didn't go away even when I moved dimensions.
Nothing unusual on opis.
Client and server console are completely normal.

reddvilzz

Jul 29, 2019
Problem occurred again without optifine, running on 4GB of RAM.
Didn't go away even when I moved dimensions.
Nothing unusual on opis.
Client and server console are completely normal.

How was it occurring? Did it occurred right after you join the server? or after a short while?
Since I have that kind of problem as well but it will happened every 20 or 30 minutes after I have joined or played.
All I do to fix it is removing any JVM arguments and allocated only 2GB of ram into FTB (Since my ram only 4GB though :p) and no more lag spikes now.

maybe you could try my solution. Since every 1.6.4 modpack when I use JVM arguments it always lagging for me. But not on 1.7.10, JVM arguments helps so much on 1.7.10 version.

7thfleet

Jul 29, 2019
How was it occurring? Did it occurred right after you join the server? or after a short while?
Since I have that kind of problem as well but it will happened every 20 or 30 minutes after I have joined or played.
All I do to fix it is removing any JVM arguments and allocated only 2GB of ram into FTB (Since my ram only 4GB though :p) and no more lag spikes now.

maybe you could try my solution. Since every 1.6.4 modpack when I use JVM arguments it always lagging for me. But not on 1.7.10, JVM arguments helps so much on 1.7.10 version.

My fps started out lower than usual, and progressively got worse until it was down to the 1-9 fps mentioned above.
I will try not using JVM args.
I haven't tried Java 8 yet, and IRCC I remember most people saying it was buggy/causes some problems/use Java7.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
My fps started out lower than usual, and progressively got worse until it was down to the 1-9 fps mentioned above.
I will try not using JVM args.
I haven't tried Java 8 yet, and IRCC I remember most people saying it was buggy/causes some problems/use Java7.
I use Java 8 with no problems at all. If anything, my FPS is higher and less memory is used. Even my server host uses Java 8.