Extra Utilities Spikes

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
I've been away for a while, and have never used EU spikes before, but just 'found' them, and after playing with them and searching wikis, it seems the EU2 spikes are 'wonky' - like, not exactly 'balanced'.

In EU1, it went something like this:
Wooden spikes: half heart of damage inflicted until half heart remains, mob will remain at half heart at that point.
Iron Spikes: mob will drop items as if a player killed it, and they'll drop rare items
Gold Spikes: The Wiki doesn't really say what they'll do, but my ASSUMPTION would be they drop XP.
Diamond Spike: mobs drop items AND XP.

Overall, this seems to be pretty reasonable tiering to me.

But now in EU2, we have:

Wooden Spikes: Essentially the same as EU1
Stone Spikes: Not really sure other than doing a little more damage than wooden spikes.
Iron Spikes: Again, not really sure what they do other than a little more damage than wooden or stone
Golden Spikes: mobs drop XP
Diamond Spikes: Mobs drop items

Essentially, it seems to me that the EU1 wooden spikes have been split to various damages with the same end result in the form of wooden, stone and iron spikes. The EU1 and EU2 gold and diamond seem similar, except the EU2 diamond only drops items, not XP. The Golden and Diamond seem to be backwards, if you ask me, and overall, it just doesn't make a lot of sense. Wooden through Iron are 'kinda dumb and useless'. There's really no point in messing with them - just go to gold or diamond, and in some ways, the XP is more 'valuable' than the items, so if you consider that, the EU2 methodology is backwards. The golden spikes should drop items and diamond should drop XP.

If you ask me, this is all a bit 'goofy'. It should be more like this:

Wooden Spikes: Half heart of damage inflicted until half heart remains, mob will remain at half heart at that point.
Stone Spikes: Not really sure other than maybe doing damage a little faster than wooden spikes.
Iron Spikes: Mobs drop common items but no XP
Golden Spikes: mobs drop XP but no items
Diamond Spikes: Mobs drop XP and common items
Emerald Spikes: Mobs drop items, rare items, and XP (maybe with an emphasis on rare items?)

Let's be honest: the diamond spikes are pretty expensive to make. Diamonds are a bit harder to come by than gold. And emeralds are even harder to come by than diamonds - so in my thoughts above, if you follow the diamond recipe for emeralds, it would be pretty darn expensive. Even (or especially) if you threw some diamonds in there like the EU1 recipe did with gold for the diamond spikes (The diamond required three gold spikes, so if the emerald required three diamond spikes to be crafted....).. Throwing three diamond spikes into the recipe for emerald spikes would make an emerald recipe REALLY expensive.

Just throwing my thoughts out there.