extra smp security with AE

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
not sure how many people play on pvp heavy servers. if so, somebody has probably already posted this, somewhere, but oh well.

i was playing around in creative trying to figure out how to make my place a bit more secure on the server i play on. raiding is legal, forced pvp, but it is a towny server, so...grey areas abound. i figure i could use a small AE system with a wireless access point as an extra layer of security.

i set the level limiter to invert signal, and put in a random item. something nobody would consider (don't tell anybody, but i plan on using a flower near the entrance of my base), something you're not carrying with you, just in case your controller is um, lost.

just a very basic mock up, i plan on integrating it into security further on server:
i505.png

small AE system and a computercraft terminal through an and gate before it gets to my door. that way even if somebody were to hack my terminal, they would still need this layer.

Reactions: kaiomann

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
the idea is to be able to easily give others access while still keeping secure. can't exactly do that with warded or illusion.

WingATC

Jul 29, 2019
You can use warding focus. If you use an arcane door with it you can craft keys which you can give to anyone you want to have access.

Outside of thaumcraft, there's always force fields with the biometric identifier.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
force fields are generally disabled on larger servers, mine is no exception. and thaumcraft again, what if you're not a mage? this is an AE system. anybody can craft it.

the AE isn't the door, isn't the door knob. this is just the Lock.
p511.png

thanks for the suggestions, but I've tried all variations of doors and entryways using the items suggested, and nothing that i've come across so far has the simplicity (as in, you don't need to do thaumcraft research) with the security. I just thought i'd share it for others with a dislike of magic playing on a server with a similar ruleset.

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually thought about this idea myself, using AE to trigger something if you put a certain item in. This use to open a safe door with it is quite awesome :)

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking, you could use an enderchest instead of a wireless access terminal. Have it diamond locked to you, then set it so that AE detects it has a certain combination of items in it then opens the door. Could even make it a subtractive as well as additive so you have to half the number of torches in your enderchest to open the door. Stuff like that.

If you want to make it so other people can have access when you arent around have a non diamond locked enderchest for them. For added security on the public enderchest, add in some logic that will pull items out of that chest after a certain amount of time.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
yep, all of those are possibilities to integrate. it just depends on a person's circumstances. ideally you wouldn't rely on this, though. this would just be one layer in your onion of security. although personally i feel enderchest anything is a pain.

in our situation, we've got access to computercraft and i can write a pretty secure password program, and towny is in place on the server. not all in my town are privy to this enclave, hence the extra measures. but, set up this way, even if one of my guys were killed with their wireless remote on them (it happens), and even if the killer knew the items to put in that particular AE and where to stand to be inside it's tiny range, they would still need the computercraft password, and be on my towny friend list (not just a member of the town).

the only reason i feel i even need this is the traffic, and the overall attitude of the server. if they can find a way in, they will exploit it and kill everybody inside.

Last edited:

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
yep, all of those are possibilities to integrate. it just depends on a person's circumstances. ideally you wouldn't rely on this, though. this would just be one layer in your onion of security. although personally i feel enderchest anything is a pain.

in our situation, we've got access to computercraft and i can write a pretty secure password program. even if one of my guys were killed with their wireless remote on them (it happens), and even if the killer knew the items to put in that particular AE and where to stand to be inside it's tiny range, they would still need the computercraft password, and be on my towny friend list.

the only reason i feel i even need this is the traffic, and the overall attitude of the server. if they can find a way in, they will exploit it and kill everybody inside.

Would be a good idea to have defenses as well. Have computercraft scanners that will drop poisonous liquid if someone other than you and your friends enter the base. Maybe drop some sand/gravel and go for the conventional suffocation. Maybe a Tinkers bridge that retracts the floor out from under them so people fall to their death and you can have a vacum hopper suck up their stuff and deposit it into the system. Make people think twice about entering your abode again. Especially if all those items get sent somewhere else for safe keeping.

Jus2beast

Jul 29, 2019
Well what Im doing is having an Myst age and then the book enterance is glass (warded) an an arcane door.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
dirty mages and their arcane warded dohickeys.

tbh i was envisioning blizzard's little keyfob thing when i thought to use AE like this, "what could i use for simple authentication?" because i already had a pretty slick piston door secured with computercraft, i just wanted it more secure. my password program is hardened, but i'm sure it's hackable if one is determined.

and if i wanted to get really crazy, i'd use multiple NAND gates. you could use 9 input items, for example. 3 AND gates, each outputting to another AND gate, which outputs to the NAND gate taking input from the computer and outputting to the door. if that makes sense, because i'm confused at this point, which is why the single input. ;p

security starts with information sharing. some may beat their head against a wall for days trying to hack my computer to open the doors and not even realize there's "something else" if nobody opens their mouth about AE in use as a secondary authorization. warded glass and a door is obvious.

CreepaCatcha

Jul 29, 2019
I once made a door where you needed to put a diamond in each chest, then push a button.
If you did it right a door would open for a certain amount of time,
This was 1.2.5 though..

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I always liked the till soil and the door opens trick. Easily reset with a piston, and will automatically shut when the dry tilled soil degrades back to dirt, then grass. Plus I can hide my "switch" somewhere away from my door if I want to be extra tricky. Not many people walk around with a hoe either, but if I forget mine, its not crazy difficult to make one in a pinch.