Exploration mods

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
My kid is interested in creating a modpack with an exploration theme. What individual mods (not packs) do people like that add:

a) dimensions or
b) interesting overworld generation

If you can put in a bit about what it adds and why you like it, it would be great. :)

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Currently still deciding. 1.7.x mods wouldn't be a deterrent for either of us, but if we see that there's a good selection of 1.12 mods, it might tip the scales.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Recurrent Complex has some cool overworld structures. Roguelike Dungeons are fun to explore with loot worth finding. Tough fighting in it though.

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Chromaticraft adds quite a bit of worldgen, and in my opinion the coolest dimension in all of minecraft. It is however quite difficult to get into.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Chromaticraft adds quite a bit of worldgen, and in my opinion the coolest dimension in all of minecraft. It is however quite difficult to get into.

As in the dimension, or as in the mod itself?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Both. Chromaticraft is a Reika mod, which means it's difficult, obscure and requires significant guess work. And the dimension is late game Chromaticraft, requiring you be quite powerful to not die from damage on entry.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Insufficient documentation would make things a problem - although there's the fall back of 'That's what creative mode is for!' :-/

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Insufficient documentation isn't the problem. Everything is well documented and described. Once you find out about it. For example, there are flowers that exist in the world at generation. But they're invisible until you unlock the knowledge of them. If you don't know what something is, then not only can't you see it, but what you do see is gibberish. Reika's perhaps too clever, but is also very good at stymying players trying to cheat the system.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Insufficient documentation isn't the problem. Everything is well documented and described. Once you find out about it. For example, there are flowers that exist in the world at generation. But they're invisible until you unlock the knowledge of them. If you don't know what something is, then not only can't you see it, but what you do see is gibberish. Reika's perhaps too clever, but is also very good at stymying players trying to cheat the system.

Is there a good pack available for learning this mod? I found the available wiki resources quite lacking, so I'm guessing the 'documentation' is all in-game.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Is there a good pack available for learning this mod? I found the available wiki resources quite lacking, so I'm guessing the 'documentation' is all in-game.
I think A Polychromatic World is actually a great pack for it, because it’s well
integrated with the other mods and general progression - you need to progress through the different tiers, but it’s smartly done and spread across the whole timeframe of the pack, so there’s no crazy rush to learn loads of complex stuff at once.

Reactions: LordPINE

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
A bit of self promotion here, but between Thaumcraft, Chromaticraft, Twilight Forest and Mariculture, there is quite a bit of exploration in A Polychromatic World.

Other mods that you might be interested in, that are not in my pack, would probably be Abyssalcraft and the Aether. And maybe Divine RPG.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Yeah, Lensmanoz played through it on the Modular Mayhem pack on his channel, and the pack is if not based around it then interestingly different enough from most other packs to be worth playing. Plus it has more exploration mods, like Matter Overdrive in it.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Does the mod that put in those cylindrical battle towers still exist? I don't remember the name...

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
The first place I would start is https://minecraft.curseforge.com/mc-mods. You can then search for mods based on your preferences, but I recommend looking in the Adventure and RPG section for your needs. After that, I would recommend mods such as Mystcraft (magic based dimension exploration), RFTools (tech based dimension exploration) Roguelike Dungeons (overworld dungeon crawling), Astral Sorcery (magic based mod based on night time and searching for ruins in the overworld) Forestry / Bees (has a person searching the overworld for bee hives), Twilight Forest (dimension mod with insanely hard titans to fight, think Gaea and the titans), Biomes o Plenty (pretty world gen to explore), Abyssalcraft (like Astral Sorcery but demon based), Galacticraft (space exploration), and so many more. It really just depends on what type of exploration you want to do.