Exploding... Router? Autocrafting table? Laser?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
SOMETHING has blown up twice in my base - I'm using conduits in lieu of conductive pipes, and am 99% sure it wasn't a creeper.

I've lost a router and some of my lasers both times, I can't find anything definitive on which (if any) are detonation prone.

Help?

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Uhm, I don't think any of those.

What are you using for power for the lasers? Combustion engines love to explode. Several other engines are capable of exploding. Forestry engines ( such as biofuel, biogas, electrical ) are all safe. Steam engines you have to let run out of water, keep heating them, then add water back in.

A few more ( I believe including the hobbyist, but not forestry engines ) can blow up if they are running but their energy is not being used. Conduit also fixes this as it always takes the power in from the engine. It just deletes that power if there is nowhere to send it.

Mass Fab can go if you send in more than 512 eu/p, but that is supposed to be a really big explosion.

Pipes love to get full of items and explode, but I've never heard of them damaging anything else.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
SOMETHING has blown up twice in my base - I'm using conduits in lieu of conductive pipes, and am 99% sure it wasn't a creeper.

I've lost a router and some of my lasers both times, I can't find anything definitive on which (if any) are detonation prone.

Help?
Also check your light levels, I've had stuff surprise me before. If you are using NEI, I believe F7 will show you areas that still capable of spawning monsters.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Also check your light levels, I've had stuff surprise me before. If you are using NEI, I believe F7 will show you areas that still capable of spawning monsters.

Ah, yes. I place torches all over so I forget this. Don't be stingy with your torches:) If you don't mind the look, placing your torches at ground level is best due to the way they spread light. Mobs care about light at the ground level.

My friend always has problems with this, he's really good about having that 1 square in the corner not lit well enough. Couple days later, a creeper finally decides to spawn and blow things up.

Another thing that can help with this: Xycraft blocks ( the xycoridite blocks and such ) all prevent mobs from spawning on them. Make your floor out of those blocks, and you can have light level 0 and no mobs will spawn. Just be wary some items can allow mobs to spawn on them. Bookshelves for example.

Reactions: southernfriedbb

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
My friend always has problems with this, he's really good about having that 1 square in the corner not lit well enough. Couple days later, a creeper finally decides to spawn and blow things up.

Yeah I was having them kamikaze drop off of my roof, which I had thought was well lit. I used the F7 trick and 1 square was spawnable. Glad I found it though, I was getting tired of replacing walls.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I was having them kamikaze drop off of my roof, which I had thought was well lit. I used the F7 trick and 1 square was spawnable. Glad I found it though, I was getting tired of replacing walls.

I had a fun one, and it's the reason I know bookshelves can spawn mobs. I have a nice sky island age on my server. I cleared the island so no mobs could spawn, it's eternal day. I built my house out of xycorium bricks. At one point, I made an enchanting room. I flew off to get some stuff for a different room, come back and there are 50+ mobs crammed into a 10x10 room:( With nowhere else to spawn, it was forcing a huge amount of mobs to spawn on top of my bookshelves. Similar to a mob farm on a skylands map ( such as the FTB maps. ) I still can't believe even with gravisuit and a nano saber that I was able to clear the room without blowing the place up.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
I've been checking with f3 and aggresively lit the room - but will review.

I just wanted to eliminate some of the posibilities...

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Did you know that if your lights are at or above eye level, that you actually have to light everything to 9, not 8 using F3? That displays light at eye level, so 1 block above the ground. If the lights are not on the ground, then you need to light it up 1 more to keep the floor above 7.

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
They should make it so mobs need more unlit blocks to spawn on... So they'd spawn in places you don't light up, but you wouldn't have to place billions of torches in ugly places.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
I've been checking with f3 and aggresively lit the room - but will review.

I just wanted to eliminate some of the posibilities...
Try hitting F7 it should mark all the spawnable nearby spawnable spaces with a red x.[DOUBLEPOST=1366339332][/DOUBLEPOST]
Did you know that if your lights are at or above eye level, that you actually have to light everything to 9, not 8 using F3? That displays light at eye level, so 1 block above the ground. If the lights are not on the ground, then you need to light it up 1 more to keep the floor above 7.
TIL. Never realized that f3 light levels were at eye level.

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the f7 tip, I did have a danger zone right behind the laser rig - my little access path was a creeper zone. :eek: