Exile to the Dark Grid

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
You've seen me, I tend to play skyblocks, or themed overworlds. Today I bring you a modpack where it's both. Dark Grid. I'm a fan of Seth Bling, and of Mischief of Mice, so this one was a must. Please do, settle in, enjoy the story, amaze at the pictures, and be generous with the likes if you could (It keeps me motivated)?

I've moved to using Imgur instead of photobucket to hold my pictures, hopefully that fixes the troubles I've had. I'll add the ones I fix to the spoiler tag below as I fix them.

Let me tell you a little about the pack, ( https://minecraft.curseforge.com/projects/dark-grid ), it started with an idea that I saw Seth Bling make, a custom world where only every 5th block existed. The blocks too are random, so you can't be sure what you would find, or where. This pack has no questbook to guide and reward me, no hints, just the challenges I set before myself.

Just a little taste...

TJDPdMT.png

I find myself using both my skyblock skills (don't fall), and my habits that get me to make the most out of the limited resources I get when I have to mine everything by myself. The experience is new. The pack also has things I've never tried before, and things I've been looking forward to. I hope you enjoy this.

Past Stories (will be updated as I FIX them)

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
I think this must be punishment.

I've been in the void before, this is nothing like that.

I've had rough starts before, this is nothing like that.

Even in the worst of times I could see a tree, or they'd given me some lava. There was always something.

Here and now, everything looks out of reach. It's not, the world is not that unkind, but it is not easy.

A run, a jump, and a bit of luck, catch myself on the next block. Then I have to do it again.

And again.

And Again.

.... and ...

2gETYhk.png

Well, so much for that technique. Sure, that was enough logs to make a crafting bench and a pick. Even got myself some stone before one of them turned out to be a silverfish and pushed me off. Now I'm even more scared of the fall, and that sudden stop. There has to be an easier way, a better way to do this.

I stood on the bedrock for a bit longer this time. Before I was looking for resources, I moved towards the logs. This time, instead, I'm trying to be smart. Moving towards a shining blue crystal.

MQ0VbbM.png

Water. No way to move it, because all is new, but this is a resource of a different type then the blocks. This gives me safety, of a sort. In a way I've just claimed every block all the way down to the bottom from here. Night has fallen and skeletons have something to say about this, but as long as I am careful, I should be okay.

bDlLhke.png

This comes to a nice little pile of things I've found. Had to be a little inventive, the world gave me sand, gravel, and clay, so I made grout. It's my most common blocks now. Strange, but stable for making a platform to live on for now. From these few blocks of sponge and grout I can attack the very VERY precious dirt I've found. Sure my pick will let me get more kinds of blocks, but the hoe is most important to my survival. I took another dive down the water, and the few blocks next to it, letting myself fall, breaking blocks, and fighting my way back up the water.

W5X73ea.png

With only a few stone, but enough wood you can make a pick rather easily. I've also been lucky and found some prismarine. So I've made a pick that I can use, while in my water stream, that won't mind that I'm in water. Being that most of my world is water and what water can reach, this is very important to me. Just because there is only one block of water does not make this less true. Water is life. My food, and my blocks. It is my world.

lVxNiuR.png

With each trip I get a few more blocks, make my platform a little larger and spread my reach a little further. My ability to collect items is limited by the amount of food I can grow and how much I can collect in each drop. Hay gives me a little more bread. Melons become a bit of food too. Soil becomes more garden. Sadly the only bones around here are skeletons, so the gardening takes time, and so does my healing.

frRLHXs.png

A few more trips down, the occasional loss, but with a chest to hold the most valuable things before I go out, I need only recover my pick when that happens. This trip I brought back old reeds that I was able to revive. I've dirt enough near my water to let them grow. Paper, sugar, and possible as defenses from the monsters, why not start growing them now?

LFnWf6L.png

My platform growing large enough that I have to worry about lighting. Coal is as rare as everything else and I've not yet enough stone to make charcoal, so a lever from some of my precious stone gives me a lever, and that turns the lamp into a light. With the light I can be sure that my platform is safe when I return to the surface. With the wool from the last few trips I can make a bed, to ensure that I will always return to this place.

B8JNksY.png

Finally. Enough stone. A furnace. This brings troubles of it's own, fuel becomes so much more important. Without fuel it's just another block to stand on. On the other hand it is another block to stand on, making my platform larger and my reach ever more. With this I can take some of the clay and fire myself a bucket and move the water stream anywhere I like. Tame the water and access anything below me without a loss of health and the occasional loss of life.

UqKS4TJ.png

Down the water and harvest some things I left down there, this time with a crook to make sure that I get what I need from the leaf blocks, eventually. Oddly the first one to reward me with a sapling was spruce. Not what I expected in the middle of an ocean of insanity but any wood is a good wood. Planted it, waited for it, and tended it well, while throwing myself off again and again to try to find more. If my little world had spread enough that I'd started to find grass and mycelium growing at the edges of it, that did not make it time to stop.

lsrdnqZ.png

While I was not lucky in finding more saplings, I was lucky enough that my first tree grew large, and healthy, and fast. Further luck that I was able to get more then one sapling from it, though the cook does help turn the odds towards me, one must never assume. When resources are low, assumption is the mother of all fuck ups. The map around me was a riot of grave markers to testify to my unfortunate actions, but now I had a critical resource. With wood, I had fuel, and all the platform I could need.

syCk3ah.png

One of the dense iron ore blocks, and a lot of luck gave me an iron bucket to work with. Wood let me make my platforms as large as I could stand, and light enough to be safe. So I was able to recover a lava crystal into my bucket and bring back lava. On the other hand, living in a world made out of so much wood, above so much void, a cobble gen isn't the safest thing to make.

ebbR6zC.png

This goes double if you happen to be bad at it. The good news is, the flowing lava turned into enough blocks below it to be useful and let me more easily reach another lava crystal then it would have been otherwise. Could be worse, I could have set my platform on fire or burned up something important below.

U7JdA4c.png

So, on a second try, using dirt I'd picked up from my platform and some of the cobble from the first run, the ones I'd not needed to platform over to the next nearest bit of lava I could collect. Now I have a cobble gen. Cobblestone, gravel, sand, dust. As much as I have the patience to wait for. A platform as large as I could want. Water, wood, food. There are worse ways to start here, and worse places to stop for the night.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
(I remembered how to name spoiler blocks, now I just need better jokes)

aPOkcCA.png

I could compost to make my dirt, and latter when I want to automate things I probably will, but for now I'm going to use a rather faster method. This is the strange kind of world where you mix gravel and dirt, and then pick out the gravel with your hoe to make it into farmland, then dig it up again... well, you somehow get more dirt then you started with. On the other hand you lose the gravel that you broke the cobble from the cobble gen to get.

fGdJzTf.png

Amusingly, there seems to be some witches close enough to prevent me from placing down more stone to expand my platform and my safe fortress. I thought I'd make a bow, and I did, but when I went to fire it I'd completely forgotten about arrows. No chickens, no feathers, no arrows. Whoops. Well, I did solve that, eventually. Fishing rod, bit of a hook and flick, and the witches fell down away from the spawner. I was able to build in close enough to light it up before it was dark again. A strange tool to use, but my world is a little safer.

LzEh6lC.png

Admittedly I've not been the most interesting person to watch lately. I'm not sure if anybody is watching my exile and punishment. Sometimes the best warden is no warden. Nobody to take pity and release me. Still, this is work that needs to be done. I'm building just under the existing platform and using the builder's wand to get in under blocks with blocks before breaking them, trying to recover as much of my riches as I can. Riches? It's grout. It's planks. Some of these are only slabs. Yet, yes, this is my most valuable possession, these blocks. These, were my life.

TslX0cS.png

My life. Measured in blocks. A strange concept. Taking it further, turning this chaos of blocks into a safe stable platform. There's a metaphor there I guess. Time enough to think about that while I keep working. Some of those blocks out there are book cases. Those turn into a few books when I break them. I can break the books back down into paper. It's a simple matter to graft them with a sapling to get myself a tree that will grow more paper for me.

oONTPVv.png

Curiously, it seems that my paperbark also grows some jungle wood and gives me a few saplings. Once I get some apples from the scattered leaves I'll be able to do that for the apples too. That'll probably grow on oak leaves as well, so if I don't get a sapling before I get apples, I can make plans. Always keep planning, always keep moving. Growing, and improving. As I grow my platform, and improve my world.

q4M4ItF.png

Digging in the spreading grass, worms to tend my crops. Growing food again. Landed here, so I'm going to live here. Nothing wrong with that when explorations is as dangerous as it is. I return, time and time again to the cobble generator I made. Taking in turn cobblestone and gravel. Taking my time, the other resource I have, spending it, making the platform larger and making my little garden safer to be in.

fmDLUZn.png

With a small farm, I keep myself alive. With a larger farm, I stockpile a tiny amount to live on latter. With more resources I'm able to make the wheat into baguettes and bake them in the furnace. A primitive dough, not quite bread, but it's good food. The melon starts to become melon juice once I can make smooth stone. With those improvements the stored food lasts long enough to let me do this kind of work. The new garden grows, seeds harvested from the first crop let me plant larger crops. A watering can lets me grow them faster, and a single emerald taken from a dense emerald ore replaces the beating heart of a villager to give me a crop box. All this will take a while. Time to rest a bit, I'll write more soon.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
(thanks again for all the likes folks)

JtF8jgM.png

Plant crops, water them, and in time harvest them. After a while it adds up. Takes time, but as I've said before, time is what I've got. Found a dense emerald so I was able to get some emeralds early, made the shipping bin and started selling my crops for more emeralds. Sadly I've not located any testificates to trade with, still there are other uses for these things.

yjYKH9O.png

The emerald lets me craft the marketplace, and another batch of crops becomes another emerald. In trade for that I can get a single soybean seed. Tempting to complain a bit about only getting one for an entire half stack of work, but it's not like I can't grow as much as I want now that I've got it. I don't really need the soy, but I've not seen animals and this is as close as I can get. A varied meal is healthy, and it's not like there's much else to do for pleasure up here.

MimysSv.png

On the other hand, it looks like I can get chickens shipped in too, though at a much higher price. Still, some chickens wouldn't be bad company, and a pet that gives you breakfast each day, why not? Though this does mean I'll need to dedicate a little space to it. Think I'm going to make things a little larger before I give this chicken a hutch and think about going out to get a few more critters for company.

VBl1HWT.png

I've not been tangling with monsters, working hard to prevent them from spawning, avoiding them when I can't prevent it by keeping things lit around me. This has the downside of not obtaining bones or anything else from them either. So while I've been able to use my watering can, I've not actually had any bonemeal for my crops. Finally found a source, from the marketplace, but they want an extortion rate for it.

36rSI9f.png

Admittedly I was so eager to harvest that I'd quite promptly used the bonemeal, grown the huge jungle tree and cut it down before thinking twice about it. I'd been wanting vines for a long time, and now I have them. I've always loved vines, perhaps this comes from the distant days when they where the only decoration you could get when stranded in the sky. I've gotten so many better tools to make such places feel like home since then, but I still want the vines before I feel I've got a home.

9qovCtn.png

Not much of a place, but it is home. A bit of flowing water rapidly becomes quite a bit of squid and ink sacks, sand and gravel I can hammer out of my cobble gen. Then just craft and place the powder, then bring the water back to it and I've got concrete. Black was simply the easiest to craft, but I do like how it feels, giving me a solid contrast to the blue infinity of the sky around me.

oIb6NKW.png

Now that I've got space to work with, it's time to unstack my stacks of stuff and spread out on it. First a new work space, chests enough to store my stuff, the work tables, crop bins and marketplace. My so valuable furnace. I can already tell that I've not got enough space for everything I'll need and that I'll need to expand again, but for now there are other more important things.

kma4hIz.png

While a cobble gen made out of dirt and cobblestone isn't as dangerous as one made with wood, (And I've had to do that a time or two as well), open lava just isn't safe. It's also not a pretty thing to have sitting around. This design of mine is much nicer to look on and lets me get my cobble faster. It still fails to drop the stone sometimes but it works more often then the other basic form.

CzjaefM.png

Some of the first cobblestone from this new batch went into the furnace, and I crafted it up into a barrel. I can hammer the cobble all the way down past sand into dust and this is the tool that will let me convert it into clay. I've got a few uses in mind for more clay and not having to catch it from the ruins of the shattered world is an advantage. I'll take any advantage I can get.

SZ9IrpS.png

Kitchen counters just happen to look best in black and take some of that clay I just made. Normally I'd store my food in one of the fridges but without much iron I've got to settle for simpler storage. The other holds mostly the tools to craft my food with, some bakeware, a cutting board, the squeezer, I'll get a full set eventually, though the last item takes things I just cannot get yet.

2JZH6Gq.png

I cooked up the grout I had once used as my ground, made more with clay and put together a small smeltery. First thing, melt down some iron and some clay, made a temporary cast, and poured myself a replacement pick head. Course I won't be using this iron pick for working in my cobble gen, had to craft another for that, but stone does not matter much now.

QMPNoF8.png

While I was doing this, more grout was cooking in my furnace so I could expand it a bit further. There's not much lava crystals around my home, but there was enough. Just a few of them into the tank to keep it fueled and one put into the smeltery to form some obsidian. Just had to make it a bit larger to hold the two buckets of fluid, the one of water and one of lava. Crafted this obsidian into a sharpening kit and used it on the iron headed pick, now I can handle almost anything around here.

Ejnmf2j.png

Another batch of clay and I've formed a coke oven. Coal isn't too common but if I turn it into coal coke I can get twice as much from it when I use it. Mostly going to stick with charcoal, and this gives me a way to make that without using up my fuel, if slowly. I'm going to head down and collect more of these resources around me. Now that I've got a pick that can break more things it's time to do some wholesale collection. I'll be back to write more latter, maybe I'll even think of something more I can do with my clay.

Last edited:

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
JtF8jgM.png

Plant crops, water them, and in time harvest them. After a while it adds up. Takes time, but as I've said before, time is what I've got. Found a dense emerald so I was able to get some emeralds early, made the shipping bin and started selling my crops for more emeralds. Sadly I've not located any testificates to trade with, still there are other uses for these things.

yjYKH9O.png

The emerald lets me craft the marketplace, and another batch of crops becomes another emerald. In trade for that I can get a single soybean seed. Tempting to complain a bit about only getting one for an entire half stack of work, but it's not like I can't grow as much as I want now that I've got it. I don't really need the soy, but I've not seen animals and this is as close as I can get. A varied meal is healthy, and it's not like there's much else to do for pleasure up here.

MimysSv.png

On the other hand, it looks like I can get chickens shipped in too, though at a much higher price. Still, some chickens wouldn't be bad company, and a pet that gives you breakfast each day, why not? Though this does mean I'll need to dedicate a little space to it. Think I'm going to make things a little larger before I give this chicken a hutch and think about going out to get a few more critters for company.

VBl1HWT.png

I've not been tangling with monsters, working hard to prevent them from spawning, avoiding them when I can't prevent it by keeping things lit around me. This has the downside of not obtaining bones or anything else from them either. So while I've been able to use my watering can, I've not actually had any bonemeal for my crops. Finally found a source, from the marketplace, but they want an extortion rate for it.

36rSI9f.png

Admittedly I was so eager to harvest that I'd quite promptly used the bonemeal, grown the huge jungle tree and cut it down before thinking twice about it. I'd been wanting vines for a long time, and now I have them. I've always loved vines, perhaps this comes from the distant days when they where the only decoration you could get when stranded in the sky. I've gotten so many better tools to make such places feel like home since then, but I still want the vines before I feel I've got a home.

9qovCtn.png

Not much of a place, but it is home. A bit of flowing water rapidly becomes quite a bit of squid and ink sacks, sand and gravel I can hammer out of my cobble gen. Then just craft and place the powder, then bring the water back to it and I've got concrete. Black was simply the easiest to craft, but I do like how it feels, giving me a solid contrast to the blue infinity of the sky around me.

oIb6NKW.png

Now that I've got space to work with, it's time to unstack my stacks of stuff and spread out on it. First a new work space, chests enough to store my stuff, the work tables, crop bins and marketplace. My so valuable furnace. I can already tell that I've not got enough space for everything I'll need and that I'll need to expand again, but for now there are other more important things.

kma4hIz.png

While a cobble gen made out of dirt and cobblestone isn't as dangerous as one made with wood, (And I've had to do that a time or two as well), open lava just isn't safe. It's also not a pretty thing to have sitting around. This design of mine is much nicer to look on and lets me get my cobble faster. It still fails to drop the stone sometimes but it works more often then the other basic form.

CzjaefM.png

Some of the first cobblestone from this new batch went into the furnace, and I crafted it up into a barrel. I can hammer the cobble all the way down past sand into dust and this is the tool that will let me convert it into clay. I've got a few uses in mind for more clay and not having to catch it from the ruins of the shattered world is an advantage. I'll take any advantage I can get.

SZ9IrpS.png

Kitchen counters just happen to look best in black and take some of that clay I just made. Normally I'd store my food in one of the fridges but without much iron I've got to settle for simpler storage. The other holds mostly the tools to craft my food with, some bakeware, a cutting board, the squeezer, I'll get a full set eventually, though the last item takes things I just cannot get yet.

2JZH6Gq.png

I cooked up the grout I had once used as my ground, made more with clay and put together a small smeltery. First thing, melt down some iron and some clay, made a temporary cast, and poured myself a replacement pick head. Course I won't be using this iron pick for working in my cobble gen, had to craft another for that, but stone does not matter much now.

QMPNoF8.png

While I was doing this, more grout was cooking in my furnace so I could expand it a bit further. There's not much lava crystals around my home, but there was enough. Just a few of them into the tank to keep it fueled and one put into the smeltery to form some obsidian. Just had to make it a bit larger to hold the two buckets of fluid, the one of water and one of lava. Crafted this obsidian into a sharpening kit and used it on the iron headed pick, now I can handle almost anything around here.

Ejnmf2j.png

Another batch of clay and I've formed a coke oven. Coal isn't too common but if I turn it into coal coke I can get twice as much from it when I use it. Mostly going to stick with charcoal, and this gives me a way to make that without using up my fuel, if slowly. I'm going to head down and collect more of these resources around me. Now that I've got a pick that can break more things it's time to do some wholesale collection. I'll be back to write more latter, maybe I'll even think of something more I can do with my clay.
I'm loving this so far :D and I'm really impressed how you've managed to keep your place looking nice! Good call on the concrete, and I love the kitchen counters too!

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
(new technique, spoiler on the old posts once I'm making the new one.)

9hpVCTt.png

Tiny little pond is a bit too small to fish in comfortably, so I thought I'd put in a fishtrap to see if I could catch some with a more patient method. Any time I can get things to work for me while I'm not there tending them is a good time. It's a little tricky to do much automation but I think I've got what I need to get started, I'll have to look into it. (Don't bother with one of these, seems that at least here and now it won't work)

tBDZIj8.png

First step in the automation is to figure out power. A survivalist generator is always a good start, slow but insanely efficient. I'll just start it burning here and charging itself up while I get to the other work. It's going to need to be upgraded eventually to something else that provides more power, but for now I'm not in a rush.

9pW7U6P.png

While that's producing power, I've found the right place to put a tiny chopper and get started. The wood this collects from the single tree that it can handle without upgrades will keep itself running and the generator, as long as I remember to put the logs into the coke oven and process them into charcoal.

dtahUsE.png

On second thought, as it only costs me a bit more stone, I should upgrade from the wooden one to the stone one. Just as easy to make a stone tinker's axe to keep it running and repair that, as it is to maintain a wooden one. If obsidian wasn't as rare here I would be thinking about the paper tools and unbreaking upgrades. The only other axe that looks like it won't break is the rather insane fire axe. I can dream, but I shouldn't dream that big.

m4JVvbr.png

I've made up my mind, it looks like the reconstructor is going to be my best step forward. It'll take a bit longer to charge up, but power isn't expensive, it's only wood and that grows on trees. First conversion is some redstone, latter I've got plans for turning emeralds from my fields into crystal armor, but one thing at a time.

CPB5L5G.png

Blockbreaker is better then doing it myself, so the cobblegen gets itself another upgrade. This one won't cost me nearly as much iron as the other options either. Sure I had to invest to make the reconstructor but I'm pretty sure that I'll some out ahead. It only holds nine stacks at a time, but I can always pull that out and slap it into one chest or another.

3JcifpD.png

With a faster and easier source of stone it's a much easier time exploring and picking up resources. It's not long before I get myself a strange resonating fragment inside one of the redstone ore, if I'd found this first I might have picked a path other then this to get myself started. As it is I'm going to let this sit for a bit and come back to it.

lTJYc73.png

These nearby blocks also contained some snow and as I've got a mattock I was able to dig it up and form myself a pet golem. Snow is another one of those building supplies that I might have used to make my platform had it been what I'd found first. I remember a time when I'd started with it, a cold and empty world, but like the others I did improve on it before I'd left.

Vcgx61K.png

A few stacks of snowballs and a stack of snow blocks isn't hard to get. With the pumpkins from my garden I can make myself a number of golems and kill them until I've gotten what I want, the very heart of winter. While I don't need the snow, I can find more then a few uses for this.

3MGcKdm.png

I'll need a few more pieces to make the ultimate tool I have in mind for this winter cold, but until then these shears will do good work and never break. Such a tool is well worth making, having, and using. Now if there was just some sheep around here I'd have an easy time to harvest the wool from them and build with that. No such luck, but another option to remember.

p94apiy.png

Speaking of harvest, keeping my hands in the garden has had results. Gardening up quite a bit of the grown goods and shipping them lead me to have quite a few emeralds. Two blocks of them, with a few other nontrivial trinkets, upgrades the torch that gives light to my world into a mega torch that will work even more strongly work to protect me from the monsters.

yYhkFOc.png

More time passes and I build armor to protect myself from the emeralds and the power of the reconstructor. More time still and I've finally got enough materials to make the crusher. Now I don't need to fetch up lava in order to get the iron and gold ores to give me full measure. It also breaks down a few other blocks into useful forms.

yaFVSYm.png

Fetching up more iron and a bit of work means I've got another piece of my kitchen set completed. Nothing finer then a nice meal to finish an evening, and being able to make that meal with less work is quite a nice thing indeed. It's not yet a full set of kitchen furnishings but a little bit at a time is all I need to make life better here in the grid where I've been sent.

2FHUu1W.png

The coke oven keeps making more creosote then I can easily handle, I don't see any super large drums I could dump all this into. I don't want to dispose of it into a garbage can. Looks like I need to find a nice large tank to work with. I'll have to hit the faucet to dump into it now and then as I've no easy way to automate it, still better then moving it one bucket at a time.

Cid8yRe.png

Luck can go a long way here in this place. The scattered chests can have rare things indeed in them, a grafter that I couldn't make myself even though I desire one strongly is one of the best things I've found. Only a matter of time before I find the leaves and finish my collection of saplings and woods, dark oak will soon be mine. Though truth be told I'll likely just keep growing oak for now.

AwL7yn8.png

My little home casts a large shadow and in order to keep myself safe I find myself having to remove almost every block in this shadow, even with the megatorch to repel the monsters. So much time it's taken to make things safe, and I've collected quite a bit of resources while doing it. The more I claim, the more options that open before me.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
GAw1fvL.png

Reconstructor takes care of another thing that I can't easily get without traveling into the nether. Not entirely sure why I'm not going there yet, there is much that I could use from there.

Okay, I know why, I'm afraid to find out that it's just as bad there, as it is here.

As it is I can produce the soul sand with the reconstructor as well. Can't actually make the nether wart into anything yet, but I'll have it for when I can. Farm early, use latter.

SJ23UHp.png

Speaking of farming, those crops are adding up to more and more resources. One emerald. Three iron. An entire block of pig iron. It's a strange material, but it'll do just fine for a tool forge, as long as I don't mind the feeling that it's watching me. This will give me more options for what I can actually forge for myself, though now that I have it... What will I use it for? A hammer won't be of use. An excavator won't help me. My normal tools don't seem to have much meaning here in exile.

Fz2rSFF.png

A magnet, now that's something I should have made sooner. A number of times the block I wanted escaped me, now as long as I can keep producing power, none shall escape me again. Also need a way to infuse power into it to recharge it. So very slow with the survival generator but I've other things I can do while I wait.

MPl8Crp.png

The loot chests have been kind to me, there's been some meat out there, but there's better uses for it than eating it. If you let the meat dry long enough, the texture becomes close enough to leather that it's hard to tell the two apart. Can also do this with fish, when I take the time to fish. This leather is for a backpack, just a tiny bit more storage now that I've got the magnet to make things easier.

vlPbbNb.png

I've collected enough gold from the world, the reeds have been kind, and there are some bookcases floating in the grid. All this combines to give me the chance to make the enchanted wood. Six is enough for the enchantment table, though until I've made up my mind what armor I'm going to use I'll just use the least of the enchantments for now.

RH9DP3I.png

Yes, those last few things, not really that useful, I was just spending time and waiting for my ring to charge. It is time to admit that I need more power. This world has a few options but I'm just going to keep with what I've already started with, the power from the survival generator is enough to transform more crystals and craft a proper coal generator. This will make the power for me faster, though truth be told it isn't enough for the long term, just enough for now.

xttQCgl.png

Looks like the ground trap is as ineffective as the water trap. The only place to get critters seems to be from the spawners, nobody wanders past and leaves the offerings in these traps as they should. The bait is never consumed. Still, I had to know if it worked, you have to check. This makes the path clear, good thing I'd been preparing for this possibility.

RdIkiq7.png

Since I am avoiding the nether, I've got a bit more of the obsidian that I can spend as long as the use isn't too frivolous. A shield that will prevent me from being as easily launched out of the world seems a rather sure thing to get. It does make travel slow, but there isn't far to go in this world is there?

LdyVFUC.png

Down again, down again. I see them sitting there, watching me. Time to start collecting them. Easily enough done, build over, use a diamond chest mover, collect the spawner, put the chest mover into the leather backpack, and then climb back out again. I'd prepared for this, but it's going to be slow.

NxOY3XC.png

Another trip down, clearing more blocks and the last flower for botania is found. I could have perhaps had luck with bonemeal and magical fertilizer, but there's less of either of these things then I would like in my world right now. With this full set I know I can get a start, though the bones will help, when I get more.

e9Vrt04.png

Honestly, I've no idea what I might use polar bears for, but they are lost in this grid, exiled as I am and I feel sympathy. If nothing else I can bring them back to my platform and let them exist again some place safer then above the eternal void. Not everything has to have a use to have a right to exist, even in a world I've got to put together a block at a time.

Q0Ybol1.png

As I clean up the blocks, I find more and more of the monster spawners. It's not long before I find one that brings endermen into this world. Attacking from under a few blocks in a place of strength I am able to collect pearls and the strange glowing hearts from them until I've got more then enough. Enough even to experiment with.

1heidzv.png

With enough power to be using the grinder all the time now, I'm using the furnace enough that it's time to look into an upgrade. Sure I could make a powered furnace, and in time I will, but I'm sometimes reaching the limit of my power, just a stack of sand can set me back. No, the furnace upgrades, iron, gold, and diamond, those are the smarter way to go for now.

wlfhHF1.png

This must be a monster from the abyss. I've never seen a ghoul, and an anti ghoul is a strange concept indeed. The same safe place that let me take on the endermen works for them as well, though a bit more slowly. I've no idea what to do with the strange meat from them, but I don't trust it enough to try to eat it.

2jZwUFC.png

Looks like the lava here is just hot enough to melt ender pearls. Those still seem to blend nicely with iron, making a slowly pulsating metal with some of the properties of each. I took some time to experiment and tinker with it and discovered that there are a few things I can make with this, but anything more complex seems to require materials that I've not yet seen in the world.

2KogpLP.png

Down again. Protective walls, a bit of darkness, and out come the creepers. I'd found enough spawners of them for it to be worthwhile to sit and harvest from these strange exploding monsters. It takes me a long time before I get enough of the catalyzing glands for the things I'd thought about making. The creepers are unlikely to part with them, they are quite attached.

Gtj9gur.png

I've had this in mind since I'd harvested the frozen hearts but it took until now for me to actually make this staff. When I go into the nether it will be an effective weapon, but sadly it does not seem to work on the spirits that I've seen floating around sometimes. I'll need to craft something else when the time comes to face them. Still, a ranged weapon when I had none of use before, well worth having.

ha6rAxC.png

More importantly, when you combine the gland with other materials you get a block that's able to produce a rather strange alchemy. It takes in the light of one day and consumes redstone, and turns the strange energy of the redstone into a source of ever glowing light. It even produces slightly more then it consumes. Safer by far then going into the nether.

iOsKH4s.png

A little more iron from diving into the depths, and I've improved my watering can. The bonemeal isn't as rare anymore, now that I can have skeletons any time that I want but a watering can has more uses then the bonemeal does and will last me forever.

SmVhR51.png

One of those uses is pumpkins. Normally they don't respond to bonemeal, but patient watering with the watering can produces them just slightly faster then I'd get them from even the largest farm I have space for here. Those pumpkins become rather fine lanterns, and light the world as I expand it, just a little more.

It's getting to be quite the view.

(thanks for the likes folks, new entry going up now)

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
OtUiEje.png

Expanded the platform, time to improve my tools again. Hammer up a bunch of clay, grind down a bunch of cobble into sand, and work the sand into dust to get clay. Mix, smelt, and grout becomes bricks. With a tank from EnderIO to hold the extra lava, things are upgraded as far as I am likely to get for a while. There's just not as much lava here in the overworld, not nearly enough to run this all the time. Mostly it's only going to be for when I make a new tool.

r4SBeDY.png

I'd been running my little treefarm long enough that I've got a small stockpile of wood. This lets me get the start of a handle on my storage problem. Drawers to hold the most common things, probably everything that I recover from the world will eventually get a drawer for itself, until I am sure what goes to the void. I've built much less of the compacting drawers then I would like, but they take more iron then I can spare for such a task, still this is a start.

0O1UnX8.png

Supplies moved out of stacks of chests into a few storage crates, for those things that I can't spare a drawer for. Some things are just more complex and would always need a crate until I'm working with digital bits and images. My crafting benches, tools, diamond furnace, and the small kitchen. Off on the end is a device that converts the plentiful redstone into the glowstone I need for other uses.

1m442h2.png

Oddly, I've let my garden get smaller. Now that I've got my kitchen and tools enough, even a small patch of crops will provide enough interesting food to keep me going for a long time. Some of these things are rather useful resources, and eventually I'll make myself a bigger and better garden, automate some production and power a culinary generator with it. Until then mostly I only need to make a stack of food now and then, and pumpkins to keep my world lit up.

d3NkEbg.png

Over here is the coke oven, the place most of my logs end up to become fuel as I need it. I've put down the myclium over here, growing the mushrooms, cactus, and netherwart, the slow crops. The enchanting table, magic wood, and a single bookcase for the times when I only need a small boost. The anvil is a bit of a story, lets just say I'm lucky I wasn't completely crushed. Came from a block I broke above me. Helmets. Wear one.

amSqdDI.png

Looks like the solution to making my treefarm better was just a matter of making my wrench and remembering to use it. Seems it was always able to push things out into a chest, if I'd thought to ask properly. The diamonds to upgrade the machine itself all the way to the top are nearly trivial with the number of them in the world. The price that bites hardest is the obsidian needed to turn my tool into one that will never break. The old survival generator and a generator core will let me use the fuel even more efficiently. This is now one step from running endlessly and effortlessly.

yRZfsD7.png

Okay, okay, I have to admit I have a problem. I am hesitating. I fear the nether. It's bad enough here in the overworld when a skeleton or a witch might come at you from any dark block and toss me into nothingness. Once I go through the portal, the entire world will be blocks that can be destroyed, and the ghasts might be anywhere. I just want a little more security. I'm never going to get it. If I'm willing to spend more then half a stack of obsidian to make an unbreaking tool, it's time to use it and make the jump.

8dBp18r.png

Quite the jump. Portal on this side has a tiny platform to catch me but the world is a so hostile place. Blazes, wither skeletons, ghasts, and skeletons with bows. Trouble everywhere. No way to delay more trouble coming every day. I just need to get a little quartz and some netherack, then I can run away again. If I am brave though. If I dare. Do I?

AcmqPWq.png

Not yet I don't.

As soon as I could I took what I had and retreated. A bit of lava. The demonic well recreated in the overworld. A bar of gold as sacrifice. And then another because I want an entire blade, not just a knife.

This is a strange material, it whispers to me...

5Y6diaL.png

... whispers strange things. It is though strong. Very strong. With it I am able to make quite the sword. Back into the burning darkness I go with this new tool. When my sword and staff I can press further into this cubic void. I don't need to go far, I don't need to go deep, I just need to get the spawner out and bring it home.

gKQgWar.png

That little bit of quartz I brought out becomes a miner's lens. Now all my power is being spent converting more and more of the blocks of the nether into quartz. While waiting on the power to fill my machines, I'm back into a dark room with the spawner, breaking bones. Taking skulls. Improving my sword more and more.

eOYSUaM.png

Another trip with my blade and staff and a lot of luck. This trip unending until I was able to pack a ghast spawner into my backpack and make it back alive. This beast required me to make a larger room to contain it, and from the room into a lasso, to be contained there permanently.

0ph9Yja.png

The bat was oddly, harder. The spawner was right within the shadow of my home. Oddly no amount of darkness made the squeaking box produce for me a bat. I had to take it down nearly to the bedrock and blanket much of the space around it with darkness, only then did a bat let itself be summoned into existence under some blocks.

yx0iKQa.png

This put me in the odd place of having crafted a ring with nothing to power it. But...

The grid provides.

Though it's going to take me a lot of work to make use of what I've been given.

H3jz4au.png

With my sword upgraded with beheading and many levels of looting, into the small dark room with the wither skeletons. It takes stacks and stacks of the skulls to gather enough withering force to reinforce glass to resist the explosions that are coming. The explosions I must survive if I want to carve the essence of the nether out of it's heart.

sRJRCWh.png

Before I can channel this to my uses, I have to tether myself to a millstone and grind for the power myself until the polished stone is stone burnt.

Stoneburnt, nether star, the resonating crystal, and a redstone wheel, and then I've got my device.

R2e1W1C.png

The grid provided.

Between the forces of the end, and the reaction produced by the nether star, eddies of power flow. This makes the wheel turn, and grid power is formed. Enough to power my ring. Enough to let me fly. The world is now open to me.

nKTTY36.png

Around the world. Searching far. In the deep distance I found this chamber. Inside are secrets that have been tempting me, out of my reach. The secret to the sky.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
3XikvMw.png

I've been finding, and collecting resources from, marble structures floating above this grid of a world, but what I needed was sunken into the grid, hidden. For within that sand covered marble was this tiny shrine with a crystal that did strange things to starlight, glowing and pulsing in the light of the night sky.

jY0Bsq2.png

The concentrated starlight made changes in some objects. Some of those changes more obvious then others. That book I had found early on lead me through the basic steps of making a crafting table that could amplify those effects and a wand to trigger resonance in the table.

CLnWKeI.png

With it I crafted a few other basic things, including lenses to focus the light, and a tool that would help me to locate places where the starlight was naturally focused. There was nothing else I could do here, for now, so it was time to return home with these carefully wrought tools and my new knowledge of the skills of starlight.

YEegLw5.png

A brief pause at my base, taking some of the quartz from the nether that I had not yet exhausted to upgrade my storage wall with an interface that would nicely sort things for me. I took a moment to also collect out all the marble I had taken from the other floating shrines. I knew I would need much of it, if the book was to be believed.

6gJv1cX.png

I did have some luck, there was a spot in the grid not too far from my base that focused the starlight in the strange way that the book had predicted. I already lived high, but the best view of starlight was slightly higher. Thus did I build myself a bridge up into the air. Surely there are better ways then this, but for now I think I shall let things be simple. A bridge can only go wrong so many ways, other things have larger risks.

SZCBP9Y.png

Shimmering clouds, a sign that the light here was thick with the energy of the stars, and a fine place to build the structures to study the starlight. Though before I did any of that I setup the telescope and made an attempt to track down some of the constellations. I didn't have much luck, but I knew I could craft improvements.

2ro8mc1.png

The very night of my landing, the stars were blinding, bright, brilliant in this field. It was enough light without even any modification for me to concentrate it into the table and cause it to upgrade itself. These tables, if given the right materials, could, and would grow into larger and more complex forms, it only took the strange starlight.

bAuVlcF.png

Though that was not enough, yet, to make the next improvement. It required a larger structure of the pure marble to focus the light into itself before I could work with it. And any more complicated work then I had been doing before required that I setup a further system of lenses to focus more light into the workings to give it more power.

zp9vHSI.png

Still, with nightfall I was able to make the next wand. A simple device, but it resonated with the crystals and those things made from crystals, letting me link them to eachother and control the flow of the light through them. Now, iron had reacted strangely to the starlight before, but the pure ingot was too refined. I suspect it was actually one of the impurities in the iron, and so I took with me a measure of iron ore that I'd collected from the grid.

aGOHyfh.png

Back to the floating crystal, so that I could borrow of it's properties. Using the linking wand I was able to direct the starlight into the iron ore and infuse it into a starmetal of sorts. It took me a while to collect enough of this infused ore, but once I had enough I took it back to my base. It may be quite a while before I have to return here, but I did mark it on the map.

CEBkbNq.png

The ore did indeed process in a furnace, forming hard ingots that seemed to have much of the sky and starlight about them. They reacted to the crystals and I knew I had gotten it right. Though it was not quite what I needed. I had to take the grindwheel and break down the starmetal into dust. Now I had three things of the stars, the long sleeping crystals, the fine purple black dust, and the liquid starlight.

fg5Dudz.png

A bit of careful work and I'd found a way to combine them. To take the long sleeping crystals, repair and infuse them with the starlight, and then wake them with the starlight infused into the iron. The only thing these needed after that was time. Time to grow on starlight and become an entire small cluster of crystals. These in turn can be sharpened with the wheel, and grown large and healthy with more starlight. Still slightly imperfect, but large and reflective and bright in the starlight.

EA936A4.png

Back to crafting while I waited. First a better way to collect the starlight. To be able to draw only a single aspect of the starlight into the device so that I could use it to attune the crystal, and myself. It required a very large structure, larger then I had planned when I built my platform. Still, with that much starlight I was able to infuse myself and take an aspect atunement.

s1cydsC.png

For things more fragile then a crystal, I needed a more refined structure. A starlight infuser. This was key to awakening the aquamarines from the slumber, making them remember the stars. Other tools can also be upgraded with this too, when the time comes. It takes a little starlight sometimes when I awaken the aquamarine, but I've got more then enough, and perhaps could automate things so that there would always be more...

LWiYEHw.png

Here the entire little base can be seen, a better view of the attunement altar, and the infusion altar. I've put in quite a bit of work to make these, with all of the marble in little shrines at quite a distance from here. Things are not quite complete and done, but I am well satisfied with the machines of crystal and marble.

aN20Pln.png

With the crystal fully grown, attuned and infused, with a structure built to help it focus the light, I can now work even in daylight. Starlight more powerful then the sun. An odd thought. A giddy sensation, or perhaps that's just the power I've attuned myself to, it's hard to tell.

Ip8Z13g.png

Time for the rewards of my work. Though I am sure there will be other rewards in time, possibly with adjustments in attunement, and the production of more crystals. Starting simple though, a construct infused with light, combined with glowstone. It lets me trap bits of the light into glowing fragments that illuminate the platform quite nicely. If I wish it so, I'll never need a torch again.

2gDeHFe.png

Along side the building wand is this new formation wand. Less simple in construction, but rather simple in effect. All I need to do is want the blocks to exist, and point. Then they are formed in the space between myself and the block I have pointed at. Combined with the building wand I can whisk structures into existence rather rapidly.

nohbZ7g.png

Though most of those structures are simply made with cobblestone, they don't have to stay that way. I've also made this conversion wand. It'll let me swap what I've placed with anything else I have on hand. So it becomes simple to throw together a space, and then change it until it's what I desire.

And now, I do so desire change. There are other things I can do with starlight, but they support and bolster other efforts, not things done just because I can. So if I wish to make use of them, I must craft with other crafts a while.

Goodnight.

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
(well, I finished, was easier to get to the end of things then I thought)

ZgEOkHD.png

While I was cleaning up under my platform, making sure there wasn't space for anything to spawn while I was living here and otherwise making sure to keep myself safe, I found a few more spawners. These times they were not monsters in boxes. Instead these are captive animals. I've not got a place to properly place them, but I can give them a home for now, collect them as I have the others and can place the grass needed to release them as needed.

RYSGzdb.png

A nice patch of grass, took me longer then I thought it would. I'd not stockpiled enough ahead of time. Even given unlimited materials it seems I'll have to remember to make my stockpiles a bit larger in the future. I didn't go as far with the bridge this time, I didn't want my botania to be far from the base as it will be a number of trips to get my botania setup started. Gardening above a void, again. This is getting familiar.

UOD3eDd.png

I've been inspired to make my setup for the pure daisy different then I have before. With a building rod there is no reason that I should ever have to place a single block by hand, is there? Strange that it took so long for me to notice such an amazing trick. (Thank you Mischief of Mice). I'll start converting some of these earthly materials into a magically infused form while working on the next thing.

O5gbBoY.png

The next thing? Getting all the flowers, getting the petals I'll be needing, and making sure to have everything I'll need for my projects going ahead. I've got an idea or two of what I'm going to do with nature power and there's some things I always like to have, even in a place like this. Bonemeal, and lots of it, to plant the petals, grow them large. The shears of ice to clip them down. Magical fertilizer to grow the new flowers from the ground. This isn't the work, this is just the preparation.

TbmvESP.png

A small pile of endoflames. To feed them a special dropper, made with crystallized materials. The pressure plate to watch it and make sure that I only get one at a time. The mana starts to build for the tasks ahead. My treefarm continues to work to grow the wood I'll need to make charcoal enough, for the fuel. This is only half of that setup, eventually I might not be paying attention and one of these could get wasted.

xPmrsjE.png

The other half is simple enough, as I've got mycelium, both from the world, and from witchwater production. A single block placed under a hopperhawk, so that it dreams, half sleeping. Further the chest near it gets an item frame, it is asked to only respond to charcoal and only place the charcoal into the one chest. A slow and dreaming flower to pick things up that get missed when the other flowers are full, this is where my mana comes from now.

fVl3Zsf.png

Conversion alchemy, the last piece I needed. I'd found some chorus from the randomness in this world, but it was in a form that could never grow, and for what I wanted, I needed the vibrant form. With this I could make the end rod needed to form my gateway. The endstone was a simple matter of glowstone and lava.

UYB1lnj.png

With this, I know I could breach into the end with a portal made myself. I can't but think that I want a bit better before fighting such a monster as a dragon, and there are other preparations I could make, or at least start. Time is a resource I have, as much as any other, and in this place, something I have quite a bit of.

g9cMNyd.png

Time. I'll just have to remember to feed more stacks of coal coke into this to keep it working. It took quite a while to get the gold and redstone needed to make the blocks, but the hardest to get was the quartz to get the lenses. Took longer still before I had the right materials to make power enough to keep it running.

ETdFL7i.png

While that is running, I took my time crafting in botania. A rod of the depth means stone without having to stop at the cobble gen. Means that this and my mana tablet can take the place of an inventory full of cobble. No limit to what I could build now.

NIzZhoa.png

Faster then working with my bucket and due to a lack of a really nice container an easier way to hold a lot of liquid, but it's still mostly a backup. Still, I might need squid. This will very nicely work to fill up a tank when I get to it. Sadly while I can fill the apothecary with it, I can't automate it with an avatar. Perhaps I could use a mechanical user? Perhaps.

MfOzX0I.png

The shifting crust is the hardest of the rods I'm making today. With it I could make my platforms from anything and change it out easily latter. Always nice to be able to fix mistakes if I make them, and always nice to be able to do things easier. With the building wand, the formation wand, and the shifting crust I'll be able to work fast and neat in this world.

GApcOJk.png

While crafting botania armor I've taken the time to make a better shield. Now that I've got flight I don't have to worry about knockback, I don't need the shield I had. So instead I've gone with one that can consume mana to repair itself like the rest of the botania materials.

fsAZBLI.png

Piles and piles of mana gathered, and it was only enough to just barely make this first piece of terrasteel. It's an insanely expensive thing when the fuel for it is charcoal. Even with the diamond furnace burning charcoal in stacks. For what comes next I'll need even more.

7pDrIcq.png

The gateway.
Another world to connect into, but it seems one I'll not be able to reach.
I'm still trying to get enough mana, so I'll pass the time with a bit more work.

kwv9GWi.png

I didn't picture the rod of the earth when I made it, but here I have it in an avatar, making more dirt for another platform. I've got to build up a stockpile for latter, as I used it all in making this little slice of nature in the sky.

RnPRmSM.png

A quickly crafted tainted blood pendant, there's a few effects that are useful even out here in the void. Soul crossed lets me gain life, even beyond the necrotic effect on my sword. It's always useful to gather a little more health for myself.

oBazRzT.png

A bit more terrasteel to finish the tools and I've got an upgraded magnet, and the best possible aura ring. It'll take an act of Gaia to get my amulet any stronger, but in the meantime I'll be able to not burn if one of the foes takes a shot at me. When I'm wandering around in the base I'm using the manaweave to make the wands operate as efficiently as possible.

KUKDVwr.png

Yes, I know, I'm delaying. Procrastinating. Time to fire up the portal.

Time to throw the book into it.

There's the reply.

I'm going to work a bit with these new answers....

Last edited:

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
lxxIhp3.png

Mana diamonds, manasteel, mana infused ender pearls, and a bit of magically infused glass, these are the offerings that the elves had use for. In exchange they offered materials, things that where not just infused with the mana, but had grown and existed in the high magical field of that realm. It was much better for working with mana then anything I could get my hands on myself. The first upgrade was to make a better mana spreader, to pass the power from the flowers to the pool faster.

MENam7x.png

Because each of these pieces of the terrasteel armor takes quite a bit of mana. I was hoping to put together a full set of it for the coming fights. Then upgrade it with the will of nature herself. The full set first though, so I could have protection in that battle.

XcK5WHO.png

While letting things work for me to build up the mana, I prepared for other projects. With the first catalyst I could transform things to obtain items I had no easy way to find in the windings of the grid. This next form of catalyst, conjuration, is used to replicate basic materials. Finding things on the grid is always just a matter of time, but if I can save some of the time by spending some mana, there are a few things that are worth it.

sdxmkuA.png

I grew impatient. I produced another flower and gave it another of the improved spreaders. This one consumed the memories of my experience in battle. Much like I might draw on that power myself to enchant things. I think the two forms might be related in some way, it's close enough for this flower to bridge the gap and produce more power for the tranformations.

haZTUUU.png

Eventually I was out, and there's no point in standing and watching while the flowers feed. Only so much working with the trees to get the charcoal to feed them. So finally I had the time to sit down, and check things.

And I was wrong.

I thought I was going to have to combine an ender drop with an artifically constructed patch of the end, made out of materials I'd infused and transformed. I thought I'd have to trigger the gateway myself.

Turns out I needed only to make some of this so strange cake.

DC9mh7K.png

Of course, I wasn't smart. I was a little too eager in producing the cake, gave it too much power. It grabbed me, pulled me through and I was in the end in an instant. At least I could fly, though I wasn't sure what I would find here. All I knew was that the end of my quest was here somewhere...

ihPL2wP.png

Ah. A fertilized dragon egg. All I had to do was hatch it. Then it was a matter of defeating the newly hatched guardian. While hanging magically in the air. Without any of my armor. Without having taken the time to prepare a proper weapon. Only a handful of arrows.

qIIttO1.png

The dragon seemed to know that I did not have the same powers it possessed. While she is down in the blocks I have to dodge around them. Almost never being able to see through a clear open path to take a shot with my diminishing stock of arrows. On the other hand, I did have food, and every time she flew away I was able to heal a bit. In the end it was a lucky shot that did it.

UsCUdDS.png

This portal.

An end to my exile.

The end to this challenge.

There is much that I didn't try here, other dimensions I might have breached into.

Instead I wanted to return to work yet undone.

Be well, everybody.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Well done dude, I've really enjoyed this thread! :)

Random question: The Astral Sorcery crafting table/altar things you had look different from the ones I've seen myself - but, I've only played with AS in 1.12; are those an earlier version do you know?

Reactions: ICountFrom0

ICountFrom0

Forum Addict
Aug 21, 2012
Vermont
Absolutely true.
This is from 1.10.2, so it's a much earlier, more primtive, but still complete enough to be FUN version of astral sorcery. There's a tier of table, possibly one or two more constelations, and I think the potion brewing mechanic not in this one yet.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Absolutely true.
This is from 1.10.2, so it's a much earlier, more primtive, but still complete enough to be FUN version of astral sorcery. There's a tier of table, possibly one or two more constelations, and I think the potion brewing mechanic not in this one yet.
Ah OK! :) I quite light the table designs in this version! They're pretty cool :)

It was a bit like that in Botania for 1.6.4 - while it was much more primitive and limited, there was definitely still fun to be had.