Example of generating early game power using DW20 1.6.4 pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
For another community I made a little album of how to power your quarry at an early game stage (or at least.. The way I do it ;)). I figured it might be of use to some of you guys out there.

At this point i'm a few days into a new map. I'm using the DW20 1.6.4 pack.

What do you need to get started? A handful of diamonds, maybe 2 stacks of copper, iron, tin, gold and lead. Yeah you need to do a little branch mining manually but that shouldn't take too long. Also you'll need the Jungle saplings and some rubber to make the MFR stuff.

A brief summary, more info at the link below.

• Using the MFR planter and harvester with jungle saplings.
  • Using default BC pipes for transport (yeah yeah I still need to figure out the itemducts 'n stuff, I'll get there eventually but this works too).
  • Using redstone furnace's to make charcoal.
  • Using steam dynamo's for power.
  • No tesseracts yet, so only able to power a quarry at close vicinity of this build. Can't find the damned Endermen!
  • Fully automated.

Link to the imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/IE9JP

I'm fully open for advice though, if you guys spot any improvements!

Last edited:
Reactions: Neoxon

Vircomore

Jul 29, 2019
I'm definitely going to try and set up at least the tree farm part of this when I get home. I haven't used MFR before but this looks so simple that I can't see a reason not to try it.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Oh yeah the treefarm is pretty simple. You can add range upgrades to a max of +11 I believe which makes a total of 25x25 blocks. Pretty impressive.

You can use it for more than just tree's though. Normal crops work, IC2 crop sticks work and it's all really easy to setup. Only downside is that it won't work on some of the extra tree's added by Natura 'n stuff. You can even mix tree's of different types, or mix crops and tree's.. There is a filter grid inside the GUI for the planter.

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry what do you mean? This is actually made on the Direwolf20 1.6 pack! Or do you mean, you need to install those packs?
Racemol
Yeah I meant trouble installing the DW20 1.6 pack, I have had bugs with the launcher before and I use mac so there is less technical support

Edit: btw the only improvement I would suggest is range upgrades for the farm

Last edited:

JoeDolca

Jul 29, 2019
Fluid ducts and itemducts work automatically. You can make the opaque versions that don't require the induction furnace if you don't want to use obsidian. It just takes a hit of the crescent hammer and the arrows are self-explainatory. I guess the only problem would be filtering and the such...

You can make some small upgrades like iron ones to make a bigger tree farm, iron is incredibly cheap and you get a considerably bigger range.

Otherwise this setup looks baller. I usually just do things manually until I get to magmatic dynamos and ender tanks...

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to make a forestry tree farm and avoid MFR, it just feels a little too OP to me for the mats required.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Having TE3's recipes set to true might help. The latest MFR has it set to requiring not only yhe machine frame and coils but also invar tools instead of the regular iron tools.

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if you get an autocrafter working you could turn the wood into scaffolds from IC2 and use that as fuel aswell

TheAwesomater

Jul 29, 2019
Just realised that you could use the vines for plant balls and more biomass in the forestry fermenter. If you can run 1 engine off that you could increase your energy production by 5 mj or 50rf.

EDIT - sorry, there is no recipe for vines to plant balls, although there really should be.

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
The trick to jungle tree MFR farming is that a 2x2 tree only takes one fertilizer. You might want to try it with your dirt reduced to 2x2 instead of 3x3. Can get by with just 6-8 cows that way. :)

You can also generate good starting power with just about any tree. I like to setup my first base all the way down at 13 or so since I'll be doing a 2-3 days of manual mining for my first resources. I dug out a room and setup this oak tree mfr farm which drives 2-3 steam dynamos, produces charcoal for my furnaces, excess oak for the many uses wood has and powered my initial pulverizer and energetic infuser(flux capacitors on all of my TiC tools). Now that TE ducts/conduit are tiered I was able to use it for all of this, avoiding BC transport pipe entirely.

7ibNXNV.jpg

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the nice suggestion guys.
@ JoeDolca I figured the TE3 ducts out by now, thanks for your info. Though I do have an issue with fluiducts and MFR stuff. The sewer to the composter for example, the liquid flow would just stop after a little while and I need to break the ducst and replace them to get it working. I switched back to bc pipes for the fluids there.
@ Yusunoha I'm going to try that next time, looks promising though!
@TheAwesomater Unfortunately my pack does not contain a recipe for plantballs using vines. Just saplings and leaves I think.
@twisto51 Awesome. I did what you suggested and the coal yield was totally mad. Initially I started without fertilizer just to make it easier, but I see how this works perfectly now! tyvm.

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Next step: Once you get all that charcoal produced, get a LP or HP solid fuel Railcraft boiler setup with some steam engines and start cranking out the RF or MJs. Edit: will prob need a 5 or so range upgrade in the MFR farm to support a 18LP boiler and a steam oven for quick charcoal cooking.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
For now i'm not going to use any range upgrades. With the fertilizer the 2x2 jungle tree farm will instantly grow a big jungle tree. Harvester chops it down and a new one is grown almost instantly again. This really gives an insane amount of wood/charcoal. This basically means the one harvester is continually chopping tree's. Adding more range to it doesn't help since its working 100% of the time anyway ;-) What would help is using more harvesters, but I would just build me another one of those 2x2 tree farms I guess.

I'm running 10 redstone furnaces non-stop to make charcoal and 25 steam dynamo's are fueled by it.. With still a large surplus of charcoal being voided. I'm sure I can power one, or even more, 36HP boilers with it.
Not messed with the steam oven yet though, going to work that out now.

steve g

Jul 29, 2019
something to consider: i saw a vid on youtube on how to run a jungle tree farm on an 11x11 platform, with no fertilizer, but the harvester was underneath the platform, next to the planter. theres a turtle placing oak logs in front of the harvester (must be different wood type from what the farm is growing) and this triggers the harvester to look for more wood above it. The thing with this is the harvester needs no upgrade, it will reach all of the 11x11 grid without an upgrade. only the planter needs it. its pretty quick on the jungle growth too...they were spawning pretty damm fast and i had well over 50k logs after an hour or so running.

found the vid: