eu - hv to mv

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, I tested this with my mfsu and it seems that only need 1 mv transformer to get it down to mv. But still need 4 lv transformers to get it to lv.

But shouldn't you need 4 mv transformers to get it from hv to mv?

Thoraisius

Jul 29, 2019
You only need 1 transformer no matter what 1 MV transformer to go from HV to MV and 1 LV transformer to go from MV to LV

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
A transformer splits a higher voltage packet into four smaller ones. I thought this was the case, but later I found that I needed one transformer per MV machine, so I'm more inclined to say that it changes the voltage request from the MFSU from 512 EU/t to 128 EU/t, instead of splitting a single 512EU packet.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Transformers do not change EU/t, they merely change EU/p. The sum of EU traveling does not change, only the size of the packets.

EDIT: Transformers, however, have a limitation on how much conversion they can do per tick. So, indirectly, the outcome of their conversion limit per tick changes the flow of EU/T on the output-side.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
You only need 1 transformer no matter what 1 MV transformer to go from HV to MV and 1 LV transformer to go from MV to LV
Transformers do not change EU/t, they merely change EU/p. The sum of EU traveling does not change, only the size of the packets. So as Thoraisius says, you only need 1 transformer for each step of the way.

Incorrect. Transformers can only process as much EU/t per tick as their maximum rating allows for, and thus they become a throughput choke.

A LV transformer can do 1x 128 <--> 4x 32. No matter which direction you choose, you can put no more than 128 EU/t through the transformer.
A MV transformer can do 1x 512 <--> 4x 128. No matter which direction you choose, you can put no more than 512 EU/t through the transformer.
A HV transformer can do 1x 2048 <--> 4x 512. No matter which direction you choose, you can put no more than 2048 EU/t through the transformer.

Therefore, Wekmor is correct in stating that to transform the full 512 EU/t of a MFSU down to LV, he needs one MV transformer feeding into 4 parallel LV transformers.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Omicron, answer me this.

I had a HV line (we'll say 512 is HV and 2048 is UHV) connected to a single MV transformer. I wanted to split that 512 EU/t rating into 4x128 EU/t lines, allowing me to power my three GT grinders (excessive but it's symmetric with regards to my design.. >_>).

I got the insufficient power error. Three MV sides of the MV transformer were connected together, then to my machines. I don't think it's any different if I had an individual line for each GT grinder, as so long as the three sides all connected to the same line. Er:

--------------------------___________
--------------------------|-------------|
[HVsource]------[xformerMV]-------|--------------[3xgrinder]
--------------------------|-________-|

After that I connected another MV transformer in parallel to the same HV line. Two of the three machines worked with the last one still giving me the insufficient energy.

edit: that's as clear as I can fucking make it.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I can't explain your phenomenon here. I can, however, invite you to my server where I can show off my GregTech factory, which happily runs three industrial grinders, an industrial blast furnace and an industrial electrolyzer (that's five 128 EU/t machines), plus assorted sub-LV machines behind LV transformers, off of two MV transformers.

You can however remove two of the connections to your transformer. The number of cables connected is entirely irrelevant, as any cable can transfer an unlimited amount of packets per tick. A single connection can easily handle an input of four packets per tick. If you connect multiple cables, you're potentially forcing the transformer to further split up its packets into for example two 43 EU packets and one 42 EU packet. Which should again not affect your industrial grinders.

I say should not, because it might, depending on what you do with the grinders. If they are out of juice and already have work waiting, then giving them too small packets may or may not cause them to fail to recover because it receives the first packet, consumes it, notices it is too small to satisfy its per-tick energy requirement and instantly stalls again. This is speculation on my part, because I'm not sure how the grinder works internally. However, there are other IC2 machines that show similar behavior. Try for example powering an empty luminator with a solar panel.

I'll also say that on my server, running GregTech 3.05g, I've encountered a bug where a GregTech machine that runs into Insufficient Energy Line even once will never recover again, regardless of how much energy I feed it. I have to wrench and replace the machine.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. I'll do some more experimenting then. The way you have described it has been my assumption until that mishap. Maybe my MFSUs were out of energy and I didn't check that.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Incorrect. Transformers can only process as much EU/t per tick as their maximum rating allows for, and thus they become a throughput choke.

A LV transformer can do 1x 128 <--> 4x 32. No matter which direction you choose, you can put no more than 128 EU/t through the transformer.
A MV transformer can do 1x 512 <--> 4x 128. No matter which direction you choose, you can put no more than 512 EU/t through the transformer.
A HV transformer can do 1x 2048 <--> 4x 512. No matter which direction you choose, you can put no more than 2048 EU/t through the transformer.

Therefore, Wekmor is correct in stating that to transform the full 512 EU/t of a MFSU down to LV, he needs one MV transformer feeding into 4 parallel LV transformers.

You're right, mostly. I mistakenly was thinking of something else. I even have the same setup in my server where I use transformers to slow the bleed of EU from lightning rods by doing EV to HV to MV.

To make my point clearer, I should have said the following:

Transformers do not directly change EU/t by design. But because they have a limitation of how much EU/p they can process per tick, the consequence is that EU/t is capped on the outflow, thus reducing the flow of EU/t on the output side. Furthermore, transformers have the benefit that it ignores how much EU/T is traveling within the network it is connected to, and that it will not blow up, as long as the EU/p size are met within the network. It will merely take as much EU it can process per tick, effectively making them good methods of bottlenecking EU.

P.S. I just wished my transformers would suddenly turn into Optimus prime, in-game.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
What kind of cables are you using?

If you use Gold Cables (because it's "only" MV), they have an incredibly high loss rate - 2 EU per 5 blocks. And this reduction is per package. If you have 25 cables between your MV Transformer and the grinders, then the 512 EU from the the MFSU would turn into 4 x 118 EU. And GregTech is really picky about the amount of energy you need, to keep the machines running.

Or are you using Splitter Cables? That one is a loss of 0.5 EU right there. (Glass Fiber loses normally 1 EU per 40 cables, with a splitter this goes down to 20 cables.)

gusmahler

Jul 29, 2019
Omicron, answer me this.

I had a HV line (we'll say 512 is HV and 2048 is UHV) connected to a single MV transformer. I wanted to split that 512 EU/t rating into 4x128 EU/t lines, allowing me to power my three GT grinders (excessive but it's symmetric with regards to my design.. >_>).

I got the insufficient power error. Three MV sides of the MV transformer were connected together, then to my machines. I don't think it's any different if I had an individual line for each GT grinder, as so long as the three sides all connected to the same line. Er:

--------------------------___________
--------------------------|-------------|
[HVsource]------[xformerMV]-------|--------------[3xgrinder]
--------------------------|-________-|

After that I connected another MV transformer in parallel to the same HV line. Two of the three machines worked with the last one still giving me the insufficient energy.

edit: that's as clear as I can fucking make it.
I've had the same problem: 1 transformer to 4 128 EU/t machines just doesn't work. 1 of the machines will not get the full 128 EU/t. I don't know why. The solution is pretty simple, though. Instead of connecting each grinder directly to the cable, put an MFE in between each grinder and the transformer. The one grinder that's not getting the full 128 EU/t before will get the full 128 EU/t from the MFE. It's just that the MFE will slowly lose EU, while the others will stay at 600,000 EUs the whole time.