Epic Mushroom farming FTB Infinity Evolved... ?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

OK, I need to make a TON of nutrient distillation..which means.. mushrooms!

Mushrooms, lots and lots and lots of them.

This one has me scratching my head.. I've made a Mycelium room and planted a basic minecraft mushroom.. and .. after a while, another one appeared next to it. Then I went and had dinner and came back to find.. those two same mushrooms just staring at me.

Obviously this won't cut the mustard, I need to make lots of these little things..

Anyone got some ideas?

-Wuffle!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
I have a thought! It might not be a good thought - but bear with me :)

Have you considered Agricraft? I'm not 100% sure on whether its in the particular version you're playing - a quick bit of research tells me it should be though.

You SHOULD be able to get mushroom spores by breeding nether wart and either poppy seeds (for red mushroom spores) or potato seeds (for brown mushroom spores). The latter will be easier as I think you need to breed your way to poppy seeds.

Once you've got this, you can breed the shrooms to 10/10/10 (again, I'm considering the normal configs, I don't know if FTB:IE has those altered at all) and this should provide MUCH more productivity.

Finally, if you can get to golemancy in Thaumcraft, a golem with a harvest core SHOULD be able to harvest those automatically!

Just my two pence :)

- GwnG

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
if you have plenty of bonemeal you should be able to bonemeal the mushrooms to make them big. Then just harvest the blocks which should drop more mushrooms.

(I believe the mfr harvester has an option to harvest only big mushrooms rather then small ones)

Another thing you can do is upscaling the farm and use water that washes only the new mushrooms away every so often instead of the normal modded minecraft harvest options.
Also note that you only need mycelium if you want the mushrooms to stay while in daylight make it dark and regular dirt will do just fine. I believe that podzol can also be used to keep the mushrooms in daylight but not sure about that.

T

Terminuz

I have tried different solutions to this problem and found thai agricraft/MFR harvester is by far the best solution.

Raid a Village for the mushroom spore, breed it to 10 10 10 and harvest with the MFR. You dont even need a planter.

In a few hours you Will have thousands of mushrooms

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Just one more note to the Agricraft Mushroom farming, Vanilla style mushrooms (red and brown) require a dark room to grow, but Pam's Harvestcraft White Mushrooms don't. Also, so long as you aren't playing Skyblock, you should be able to forage all three versions from Mushroom Gardens on the fallen logs in Forest Biomes.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone!

Thankyou all so much for your thoughtful replies, It was fairly hectic for me over the last week so i haven't not been able to get online to read them until this evening.

I'll give all these great ideas a go and post here to update soon :)

Thanks all!

-Wuffle

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
OK,

It took me a little while to figure out what you are all saying, but since i am still getting my head around agricraft i thought i would go with the approach of making giant
mushrooms with bonemeal. Since I have a skeleton powered spawner running i have tons of bonemeal. (I will still go into Agricraft, as it looks fun).

SO i spent a while chopping them up and planting new ones.

I am not sure how to breed things with Agricraft, so will read up on this, but i guess what you are saying is to get 10/10/10 mushroom seeds, plant them in a dark room
with those crop sticks and then use an MFR harvester?

-Wuffle!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
OK,

It took me a little while to figure out what you are all saying, but since i am still getting my head around agricraft i thought i would go with the approach of making giant
mushrooms with bonemeal. Since I have a skeleton powered spawner running i have tons of bonemeal. (I will still go into Agricraft, as it looks fun).

I am not sure how to breed things with Agricraft, so will read up on this, but i guess what you are saying is to get 10/10/10 mushroom seeds, plant them in a dark room

-Wuffle!

Agricraft is pretty simple to get into, and NEI will tell you how to crossbreed plants if you look it up (parents needed, soil type, and any special block needed below that soil in some cases). Breeding two to four of the same plant type with a cross crop (place crop sticks, then place another in the same space) can increase the stats (speed, gain, strength). By default, a 10/10/10 seed will produce four drops per harvest, and it will grow quite quickly. Strength helps protect it from weeds (if enabled) as well as making clippings have a higher chance to succeed.

Red and Brown Mushrooms require Mycelium and a dark room. White Mushrooms from Pam's Harvestcraft can be grown in the light, so I use it more often when available.

A MFR Harvester will pick the drops from Agricraft Crops without breaking the plant, so it requires no replanting, which saves time, power, and infrastructure.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
OK,

-Wuffle!
That seems to be the consensus, and what I would recommend personally.

Agricraft is great, and pretty simple, there are just a couple of things to get the hang of and you'll be away. You'll need a seed analyser and a journal (dead easy to make). The idea behind Agricraft is that, unlike vanilla crops, you have to grow its crops on cropsticks. Seeds are planted on single crop sticks (4 sticks sticking up out of the ground vertically), and when mature (WAILA is your friend for telling you this) they can then spread to an adjacent block of land that has cross-cropsticks (cross-crops) planted on. These are what you get when you apply cropsticks twice - once for the vertical, a second time applies 4 horizontal sticks. Depending on the configs, they may only need one adjacent mature plant to spread or they may need more (default is 2 I believe).

Now to the plants: in vanilla minecraft, there is one basic type of seed - wheat seeds. Well, two, if you count nether wart, and that's relevant later. Agricraft adds 2 others: carrot seeds, and potato seeds. These can be obtained from breaking grass. To start working with the seeds, you need to analyse them with the seed analyser. Once you've done that you'll find they now have numbers attached: 1/1/1. Seeds obtained in this way will always be bottom level. The figures are for Gain, Growth and Strength (the order may be wrong there) - basically: Gain is how much you get when harvested, Growth is how fast they grow, and Strength is resistance to weeds (and chance of success at planting clippings).

To increase these values, you need to breed the same plants together (usually - again, depends on configs I think). So if you have three blocks of farmland, the two on either end with cropsticks and the centre empty, you would plant a 1/1/1 wheat seed at either end, then wait for them to mature (or bonemeal them up!), then plant cross-cropsticks in the centre block. When this spreads to the centre, you'll notice the cross-crops now appear to be normal cropsticks and there is an unidentified wheat plant in the centre. If you break this and analyse the seeds, there should be a small increase in at least one of the stats.

Why did I say wait until they were mature?

Weeds. I mentioned them before, and they are the bane of your existence. They have a chance to appear on cross-crops (and cropsticks I believe) that have no plant on them. So you'll need to keep an eye on your centre block and make sure it is wheat and not weeds when the cross-crops disappear. If you do get weeds, break the cropsticks and replace them to get rid of the weeds. You can use the rake, but I rarely bother. Weeds can spread and overrun an entire field of crops if unnoticed - a high Strength stat increases the time this takes, but there is no immunity to weeds.

One thing worth mentioning is that (again in the default configs) if you have 4 mature plants around a cross-crops (diagonals don't count), the stat increase you will observe when it spreads to the centre will be higher than if you use 2.

Coming back to the plants at last: the idea behind Agricraft is that EVERY plant bar those 4 (wheat, carrots, potatoes and nether wart) can be bred from those starting plants. So, sugarcane seeds (that's right, even sugarcane can be bred!) are bred from wheat seeds and carrot seeds. This works similarly to the improving of stats - adjacent plants can spread to cross-crops - but instead of improving stats, they produce a whole new plant which, unlike breeding the same plant, only takes some of the stats of its parent (so two 10/10/10 plants usually produce a 5/5/5 crossbreed).

One more thing to consider is soils - most seeds can be grown on farmland (tilled soil, hydrated of course) but certain things require the expected "soil" under the cross-crops - so sugarcane and cactus both require sand, mushrooms require mycelium, nether wart requires soul sand. The ore crops have other requirements I won't go into here.

EDIT: D'oh! took me so long to write this, someone else did a better job, more succinctly!

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all the information :)

I've started working on white mushrooms and brown mushrooms, so far the white ones are at 6/10/9 and improving. The brown mushrooms have been
stuck at 5/2/4 for a long time now, about four or five cycles with no improvements.

I'm enjoying this mod, a lot of work needed to get all of these things to 10/10/10 but i imagine that the results will be well worth it.

What I'm really wanting to do is get a big arm of mushrooms to keep my EnderIO 'The Vat' making nutrient solution to keep my 'Killer Joe' running 24 x 7
killing everything my bank of EnderIO auto spawners are summoning :)

Luckily though i have no encountered any weeks.

-Wuffle!

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
Right, quick one @WuffleFluffy - are all your brown ones the same - 5/2/4 - or is that the highest of them? Also: are you using clippers to take clones of your highest ranked plant so all 4 are of that same high stats?

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
My preferred mushroom maker has always been with mycelium and the making of witch water.

open - Terrain - Terrain - open
Smasher Smasher
Water pipe - open - open - Water pipe
Barrel - mycelium - mycelium - barrel
Witch pipe - open - open - Witch pipe

Set the terrain smashers to point down at the open space above the mycelium.
Can collect or void the witch water.

Every time the Water converts to witch water a mushroom grows.

a 5x2 mycelium farm like this can fill a jabba barrel of red and brown mushrooms in a few hours.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
My preferred mushroom maker has always been with mycelium and the making of witch water.

open - Terrain - Terrain - open
Smasher Smasher
Water pipe - open - open - Water pipe
Barrel - mycelium - mycelium - barrel
Witch pipe - open - open - Witch pipe

Set the terrain smashers to point down at the open space above the mycelium.
Can collect or void the witch water.

Every time the Water converts to witch water a mushroom grows.

a 5x2 mycelium farm like this can fill a jabba barrel of red and brown mushrooms in a few hours.

This method is a nice trick for Skyblock maps (or any Ex Nihlo pack). Unfortunately, if @WuffleFluffy isn't playing the Skyblock, this won't be a valid solution (but still a "good to know" setup for future reference). I forget now if Fluffy is playing Skyblock or not...

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

I'm on the FTB Infinity Evolved mod pack on 'hard' mode, sorry that i did not clarify that earlier.

More great ideas here, thanks so much.. I have almost got my 10/10/10 brown mushrooms, should have
them tonight.

-Wuffle!