Energy Conversion Issue

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
Below is my set up for EU to MJ power conversion.

Here you can see the Redstone Energy Conduit running down the center of 4 Electrical Engines. Each Engine has a glass fibre cable running beside it in addition to a redstone block.

Here you can see the more of the system and how I have it set up. The branch on the right goes off to my AE system ~100 blocks above current location in addition to my grinders/smelters/ect. The one on the bottom left is where I have my energy tesseracts and redstone energy cells to charge.

The issue is that, randomly, my AE system will just stop. It will shut down and claim no power. It consumed 250-350 Energy/t it claims, but only requests 50-75 MJ a tick, something the 136 electrical engines I have set up can more then provide.

The EU energy drain isn't enough to overthrow my production, as I have ~20 Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panels each producing 512/64 EU/t.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Is there a maximum that the conduits can carry that is much less than the 1000 I believe it is?

Cougar281

Jul 29, 2019
Its hard to tell, but it looks like in your first pic, you have the conduits set to send energy out into the electrical engine, rather than into the conduit from the engine. The 'arrow' shows the direction of energy flow. If a bunch (or all) of you conduits are set to export energy rather than import....

If you have so much EU production, why are you converting it to mj for ae?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

angelnc

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, the conduits are in the wrong mode. Wrench them all and it should work.
Btw: Tesseracts have a limit in what they can transmit per connection.

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
I checked the Wiki and it said that my way was the correct way to do it. I am receiving energy from it, just not as much as I would expect. I will try to switch it to that way though.

As for why MJ instead of EU, MJ's power line is closer to the AE system then my EU one.

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
I switched them all to be input cables, and I am checking to see if that works.
For engines it doesn't matter anyway.

@TS: are you sure that everything is actually chunloaded?
Yes, it's all under one chunk loader with the EU generation being almost directly above the MJ generator.

all 3 of the tesseracts link to the same name/frequency called "Generator" so combined they can only pull 100 MJ/t out. I did the math in another thread and, since I have ~35 or so engines with circuit boards in them, I should be producing ~650 MJ/t if I remember correctly. Even with all the tesseracts pulling 100 MJ, and, at the very max, the Energy Cells pulling 100 MJ/t times 3, I should still be producing ~250 extra MJ/t that is wasted.

Is there a limit on redstone energy conduits? If this isn't helpfull I'll see about recording and uploading a video soonish.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
all 3 of the tesseracts link to the same name/frequency called "Generator" so combined they can only pull 100 MJ/t out.

AFAIK the limit is per input/output tesseract, not per frequency.

Is there a limit on redstone energy conduits? If this isn't helpfull I'll see about recording and uploading a video soonish.

There's a (very high) limit per conduit connection, but the conduits themselves don't have any throughput limits.

How are you supplying power to the engines by the way? Could you measure the EU/t from the source to the engines?

Platinawolf

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried putting a Redstone energy cell as a buffer between the conduit and the AE system? Should help even out the energy spikiness?

Reactions: PhilHibbs

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I always have a Redstone Energy Cell as a buffer at the receiving end of a tesseract. It means I can burst output 100 MJ/t rather than 75, or higher if I add extra conduits, and also I can throttle it down as low as I like if I want to slow down or stop a quarry for example. At my quarry I have two tesseracts feeding the REC.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I always have a Redstone Energy Cell as a buffer at the receiving end of a tesseract. It means I can burst output 100 MJ/t rather than 75, or higher if I add extra conduits, and also I can throttle it down as low as I like if I want to slow down or stop a quarry for example. At my quarry I have two tesseracts feeding the REC.

Yup. It also makes it a lot easier to see if you're actually energy-positive or not.

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
I set up a wall of 3x3 energy cells that seperate my AE system. There seems to be no issue now, but I also upped the MJ output using circuit boards.

Gemain

Jul 29, 2019
I hope your reason for building this is that you do not have the power converters mod ?

I used to use the same way you did untill the engines gave too much lag (having 200+ engines to keep up with the MJ i needed)

iwishiknew

Jul 29, 2019
We do have the power converters mod, I believe. I just don't like the idea of "Energy Bridges" running through out my system.

Gemain

Jul 29, 2019
as i previously stated i used to do the same untill it got laggy with all the engines :p

So powerconverters we go :D

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I like interesting builds and I love seeing stuff move, which is generally why I prefer MJ production over EU production. But, at some point, 100+ engines causes server or at least client loading/rendering issues, and I'll grudgingly go with PowerConvertors if it prevents greatly degraded performance. They are boring, yes, but they get the job done.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
I like interesting builds and I love seeing stuff move, which is generally why I prefer MJ production over EU production. But, at some point, 100+ engines causes server or at least client loading/rendering issues, and I'll grudgingly go with PowerConvertors if it prevents greatly degraded performance. They are boring, yes, but they get the job done.

lol, you sound just like me. Not sure if you've seen my skyscraper build yet, but it was initially going to be 75 boilers with a total of 1,350 engines. I only got to 216 and the client lag was already beginning to be noticeable (specially with steam engines that do a double lag whammy of motion and sound).

It makes me sad, but I'm going to have to switch to power converters as well.

Reactions: MigukNamja