Endgame Power Storage Solution?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

What should I use for my endgame power storage?

• A ridiculous number of Resonant Energy Cells

• A Draconic Energy Core (or multiples thereof)

• An Industrial Coil (or multiples)

• A bank of Auroral Batteries

• Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Another cool method of storing power at truly insane densities would be a DSU full of bedrockium drums of hot CO2 from ReactorCraft. Much like fish, you then have to convert the hot CO2 into energy with the appropriate setup but (2^31) * 65,536,000 mB of Hot CO2 running through a nicely efficient boiler/turbine setup will make a monumental amount of power.

https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/th...-of-big-reactors-and-tesseracts.109476/page-2

EDIT: I did the math a while back and one DSU of bedrockium drums of hot CO2 should yield around 200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 RF using an efficient setup. :)
Is is possible to heat CO2 using, say, a friction heater? Sure, it'd be horribly inefficient to convert shaft power to hot CO2 and back, but stuffing DSUs with bedrockium drums filled with hot gas is entirely useless if the only way to get hot CO2 is with an HTGR, and you've just built a fusion reactor.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I'm aware, only an HTGR core can heat a CO2 heater. Filling bedrockium drums would be...deeply impractical. That would require massive amounts of wood to make the cold CO2 and numerous optimal HTGRs running in tandrm to get it going at anything resembling an adequate speed. Standard drums would be better from a "getting results in a reasonable amount of time" standpoint.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
It never ceases to amaze me how fast power systems jumped the shark in Minecraft. I understand wanting to build a massive reactor that outputs insane amounts of power just because you can, but the goal of any great power system should be somewhere in the vicinity of 15% above general usage with a buffer just large enough to adjust for any sudden spikes in the grid. People talk about not wanting to waste power during conversion from one system to another while most of the time their intent is simply to waste it by storing it eternally. Show me a build where you actually need the output of a ReC reactor and I'll be impressed. Till then it's just building ridiculous for the sake of building ridiculous (not that there's anything wrong with that, but just call it like it is).

The best way to store power is to use it effectively. Otherwise, it may as well just be wasted (unless you're looking for a scoreboard).

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
(unless you're looking for a scoreboard).

5a8a0c12a4479f95b5e26ab6bf6a03b0c842af356b5506ffc59138be4872361b.jpg

Reactions: Dezz and PierceSG

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019

I know. Crazy right? I totally used to. I made a massive ME system and filled it with all the things. I made massive power systems and filled massive batteries. Then, I stopped.

Now, I've found much more challenge in using the things as fast as I can acquire them. The answer has been to let need dictate production (for power and materials both), and build shut-off valves for anything I can't use efficiently. Funny thing happened when I changed this mindset: my builds started looking less like an engineer's lab and began resembling logical, thought out settlements. I've allowed my entire build to be the scoreboard, rather than just one terminal or readout.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
I usually do, as well, but I like having buffers. Makes on-demand power easier to implement. Plus, if things fail, I have a little extra time before my systems shut down to fix things.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
One of the reasons I adore EnderIO is that the Power Monitors make for easy sequential step up of power options. So I can run the base on maintenance power from IE water wheels, or fire up Reactors when the processing system starts. Along with the ability to alternate charge/discharge from EnderIO capacitors.

Reactions: RavynousHunter

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
One of the reasons I adore EnderIO is that the Power Monitors make for easy sequential step up of power options. So I can run the base on maintenance power from IE water wheels, or fire up Reactors when the processing system starts. Along with the ability to alternate charge/discharge from EnderIO capacitors.

You adore them... while me on the other hand, I've never used an EnderIO Power Monitor because I never thought they actually really did anything useful. LOL I swear I played with the block a little bit, didn't see anything interesting, and never used it since. Welcome to my world, the Land of Misfit Toys. LOL I'd go read a wiki to try and learn about how to work the Power Monitor, but I'm just too lazy these days. I rely on reading random posts on random forums to learn anything at all. haha

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You adore them... while me on the other hand, I've never used an EnderIO Power Monitor because I never thought they actually really did anything useful. LOL I swear I played with the block a little bit, didn't see anything interesting, and never used it since. Welcome to my world, the Land of Misfit Toys. LOL I'd go read a wiki to try and learn about how to work the Power Monitor, but I'm just too lazy these days. I rely on reading random posts on random forums to learn anything at all. haha
Well, the Power Monitor has a mode (I think it's called "Engine Control" or something like that) in which it basically acts like two comparators and an RS-NOR latch. It lets you specify two percentages. When the total amount of RF stored in all capacitor banks attached to it via energy conduits (the monitor MUST be attached to conduits- it won't work if you just slap it on a capacitor bank) drops below one percentage, it'll start emitting a redstone signal. It will continue emitting a redstone signal until your storage rises above the other specified percentage.

The idea is that you use the redstone signal from the power monitor to turn on your generators, which are assumed to have a warmup/cooldown cycle, so you don't really want to be flickering them on and off all the time. If configured properly, the power monitor will turn your generators on before your storage runs dry, and turn them off again before your storage fills completely.

Reactions: asb3pe and Pyure

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Exactly. I've used it for monitoring Reactors, conventional generators, as well as output sides. IE, running an MFR laser drill, without completely draining the base power.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Question: can one hook the monitors up to things other than EnderIO conduits? Like Mek power cables or ElC RF transfer cables? If not, I guess I could just hook the gennies up to the capacitors with the big boys and use EIO for going from the capacitors to the consumers. It'd be a little bit...gross, to me, but it'd get the job done.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Question: can one hook the monitors up to things other than EnderIO conduits? Like Mek power cables or ElC RF transfer cables? If not, I guess I could just hook the gennies up to the capacitors with the big boys and use EIO for going from the capacitors to the consumers. It'd be a little bit...gross, to me, but it'd get the job done.
You can use a single block of EIO conduit to hook your power monitor up to a capacitor bank otherwise fed and drained by other mods' cables, and that will work fine. If you are, indeed, using an EnderIO capacitor bank for most of your storage, that is. I dunno how well it works if you try to hook it up to other mods' batteries.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
It doesn't read other mods power storage properly, but you only need to give it a conduit it can read from. It'll then read attached capacitor banks, even if those are feeding or fed by other mods power cables, or transmission mechanics. (IE Wires for example.)