Enderman Spawner Drop Fail

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
I got me a tier 5 enderman soul shard. I set up a drop of 47 meters. This should be two more than the required distance to kill them. I haven't put up walls around the drop zone, the spawner is just hanging up there in the sky. When the endermen fall, most of them teleport in mid air and don't take any damage. Since they can teleport through walls, I don't think that having walls will make a difference. I am doing my testing during the day. Are they able to teleport away because of the light level? How do I fix this? I am planning on having glass walls so that you can see them drop.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Endermen cannot teleport into blocks that are beneath water or lava. If you place your spawner in a room that is directly above the sea, where there are no blocks in a 32x32 area that they can teleport into, you can then cover the entire floor of the kill room with water leading into transposers that collect the enderpearls and lead them into storage. The reason for the 32x32 area, is that they can teleport outside of solid blocks, but only to a certain range, which is 32x32. With this setup, what should happen, is that the Endermen fall into water, start taking damage, but can't teleport anywhere else, because there isn't anywhere else to teleport to that they can access, so they'll just stand still until the water kills them, and the items are collected by the transposers. Be sure to also cover the roof of your building with water as well, so they can't teleport into the roof of your building.

The best setup would be a 11x11x9 room, with the spawner positioned smack in the middle of the interior 9x9x7 space, so in the middle block 3 up from the ground, and 4 away from every wall. This gives you maximum spawning coverage for the spawner, which will be able to spawn the maximum amount of endermen possible. You set up water source blocks all around 2 sides of the room, leading into the central line, which will be covered from the water streams using signs (because water can't traverse signs, but items still can), and finally, that final line which is dry, you cover with transposers. You can make the floor of the room out of ice so that the items traverse more quickly to the transposers, and so cause less lag. You'll also want to cover up the transposers with water, putting a water source block on either side of the line, so that the water flows to the center. This won't prevent the items from getting sucked up into the transposers, but will prevent the endermen from teleporting to the transposers and being safe from the water there.

This is more efficient and reliable than the fall trap. If you don't have an ocean nearby, you can also set up a Mystcraft age using either the Ocean biome, or a Void age, and this will also prevent the endermen from being able to teleport away. I'd most certainly recommend the Void age, since the endermen may still be able to teleport to BELOW your trap in an ocean biome if there are any empty spaces available in the Y axis, so either make sure that that's not the case, or set the trap high up in the sky, so they can't teleport vertically out of harm.

Test this setup in a creative test world. I'm thinking you'll rather like it :D You'll know if it's working if they don't move at all after being damaged by water.

EDIT: You don't actually need the stuff with the signs and water streams if you just make your floor out of transposers and just put a layer of water on top of it. All items will still get sucked by the transposers, and it will actually cause a bit less lag that way.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
32x32 centered on where the endermen spawn, so yeah, you'd need to make it so that there isn't any teleportable block in a 32 block radius around each of the edges of the room. I kind of had forgotten about that. It's one of the reasons you may want to just use a Void Age since you'll already have absolutely 0 teleportable blocks outside of your trap if you build it right. (Collection area should always be 2 blocks tall so the Endermen cannot spawn or teleport there).

If you don't have access to Mystcraft, or don't want to make a Void Age, you can use the End. Just build away from the End Stone central island, and you should eventually be far enough away from the island that it's effectively a void age.

MouseyPounds

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried simply putting a roof over the spawn area to keep them from being in sunlight? Before we got a soul shard I had a small drop trap on our server which was just basically a 20x20x3 room with a quicksand floor high above the ground, and the endermen which spawned there never teleported away.

dakamojo

Jul 29, 2019
I just abandoned the drop idea once I finally found quicksand. Now they just spawn at ground level with their heads in quicksand.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Boccob

Jul 29, 2019
I just abandoned the drop idea once I finally found quicksand. Now they just spawn at ground level with their heads in quicksand.

Yep, that's what I did. Quicksand is my go to trap method now. I have a one high room and a two high room. And it's nice that golems are only one block high so Creepers, Zombies and Skeletons die and a wood golem runs across the bottom to collect everything.

lazaruz76

Jul 29, 2019
My current spawner setup it a drop trap with a 100 meter drop kill. And yes I like overkill. :D:D:D

biomirth

Jul 29, 2019
I think they get a chance to teleport right after spawning so they will teleport if spawned in sunlight. Otherwise I don't believe endermen can teleport in mid-air as you get 100% kill rates at night or indoors. So yeah, roof, night, or alternate kill method.

perroman8698

Jul 29, 2019
You could have just made a "curtain" of water around the building. Enderman can't teleport through water so they will stay in the building until they hit the ground. Little late to say but just so you know!

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I found that with the quicksand trap, if you line the walls with ice or snow blocks the endermen cant pick them up & will stay away from walls, endermen do not like water :), I tested an ice floor but this didnt work out too well so settled for snow, with a golum collection, simple & effective, & far less work than a stepped plate & piston grinder.