Ender IO Farming Station vs MFR Planter/Harvester Combo , Efficiency

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
But that wouldn't cause less load :)
It would cause less load than constantly unloading, then reloading chunks. I'm sure that's more of a dynamic load. If you already have to render the block breaking, might as well keep the chunks loaded while you are at it.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Or just chunkload them all.
Stupid forum didn't notify that you quoted me...
What I meant was that whenever a block is placed or broken in a chunk (actually it's not a whole chunk but a 16 block high column of a chunk), the chunk's geometry has to be recalculated and rerendered. This has nothing to do with chunk loading.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
MFR wins hands down. Not only because it only consumes power when harvesting and not requiring tools. Its also perfect for planting 9 different trees (its modded, you should have acces to 9 different trees) and use the sapplings for biofuel ==> more power.

Combo it with TE and sawdust alone can power it and all its support tech (AE system/sawmill/sludge boiler/etc).

Though for the best of the best, try autonomous activators/dynamism tablets for sapling placing and tree chopping using unbreakable TiC axes. Use some of the saplings to power a lamp of growth. And if the goal is power, make the axes with looting III and auto smelting. Dont forget, 9 different trees for biofuel would be best! Definitly not a simple "place magic block and done!" type of deal though! Could look like this:
skyqula said:
jcgvkn4.jpg

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
MFR is more friendly towards mine craft mechanics than EIO. EIO does not do natural 9x9 farm setups of which vanilla and other mods are configured to as well. MFR is far more configurable with 9 sub settings. But to brutforce 1-4 growables, EIO is best.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Actually MFR planter have a 3 by 3 grid inside for you to configure what to plant and where to plant it at. So you can have one set of MFR planter and harvester handling up to 9 different kinds of crops if you want to.

Set the planter to not consume stacks will make it save at least 1 seed/sapling/crop out of the stacks you gave it, and cover the rest of the inventory spaces with stuffs it can't plant, like cobblestone.

That way, you can limit how much spare stock it holds and also always be holding the crops you want due to it holding on to at least one of it.

Odovbold

Jul 29, 2019
I like EnderIO farming station more:
1. it only need one block (vs MFR planter/harvester, 2)
2. don't need to dig a tunnel underneath dirt (planter)
3. power supply and item transfer is much simpler
4. can use enchanted/TiC axe
5. use MFR planter/harvester too much it get bored

tindin

Jul 29, 2019

1. ender io is more then 1 block to automate
2. how do you get the power to the ender io one?? go above? can do that with mfr
3. it's realy about the same
4 this is the best of ender io

mfr is simpler to setup for auto pilot
ender io is a little more work to get on auto pilot

in the end there about the same

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
1. The farming station is definitely not a one block deal. Not if you want to automated it fully. A transdimensional transceiver is a must if you do not want to do pipes and conduits under or above the farm. Then you will need the automated machines to provide it with the tools it consumes unless the latest version of it made it so those indestructible tools aren't consumed.

2. See reply above.

3. For my MFR farms, I attach a tesseract to each planter and harvester for power and item transferring. I don't see how Ender IO can be simpler. At most, I would say Ender IO is as simple as MFR.

4. That is something Ender IO does better.

5. Entirely one's opinion and I can respect that choice.

Last edited:

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
if it was possible, I'd have used the ender io farm if you could actually charge any RF tool placed inside the farm by simply powering the farm aswell
I know you can charge a RF tool in a killer joe by using a wireless charger, but that just requires another block and takes away the compact setup of an ender io farm for me.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
with some jungle sapplings you will be drowning in wood and charcoal after the first big 2x2 grows so it tends to get moot after that

Reactions: metalim

metalim

Jul 29, 2019
with some jungle sapplings you will be drowning in wood and charcoal after the first big 2x2 grows so it tends to get moot after that
First sensible answer. Also, spruce 2x2 works as good, or any other tree with 2x2, 7x7, etc. IMO automating wood is overrated, when you have either TC LumberAxe, VeinMiner or any TreeCap axe. Automating crops is more important in some modpacks. And here range of upgraded MFR harvester may come in hand.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
First sensible answer. Also, spruce 2x2 works as good, or any other tree with 2x2, 7x7, etc. IMO automating wood is overrated, when you have either TC LumberAxe, VeinMiner or any TreeCap axe. Automating crops is more important in some modpacks. And here range of upgraded MFR harvester may come in hand.

I dont think you get why people automate wood. Its not for building a few chests (or annything crafted with wood) or powering a few dynamo's every now and then. If that was the case, then you are absolutly right. However, automated wood farms exist to get an actual power plant going that can produce large amounts of RF/t, with the main goal being sustainability and no maintenance. Having to manually chop trees means the setup will not run forever and therefor is not a solution to the problem.

In the case of the OP where he wants to power a BR turbine with steam, likely produced in a boiler, you run into a problem with your suggested aproach. Namely you run out of fuel. When you run out of fuel your boiler cools down and starts producing less and less steam/t. Less steam/t means the turbine slows down and becomes less efficient untill the point it stops completly. The result here is that you get a big startup time before you hit that efficient power production level or even the desired power production level because first your boiler has to warm up again and second the turbine has to speed up again.

metalim

Jul 29, 2019
<cut the lengthy answer>
I know this subject. My point is: you don't need advanced farming/harvesting setup for a wood plant. Even farm with 4 blocks of dirt for a single 2x2 tree, instead of 9x9 filled with Oak, would work for most setups.

N

Nemis05

With EnderIO I reccomend to use an unbreakable tinkers axe. That costs 40 obsidian, 8 gold and material for the axe (I reccomend using paper, since then you get more modifiers. You need 5).

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
With EnderIO I reccomend to use an unbreakable tinkers axe. That costs 40 obsidian, 8 gold and material for the axe (I reccomend using paper, since then you get more modifiers. You need 5).

Please mind the post dates. The last here was in January 2015. The discussion has long since died.

I'm not saying you're wrong about using an Unbreakable axe, just that likely nobody from this thread cares about this thread any more.

Reactions: zBob and Hambeau