Enchanting with Turtles

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SebWhittle

Jul 29, 2019
A basic Google search yielded nothing too helpful so I came here.... Ive previously seen turtles with tiny enchanting tables in videos.... ( I forget which, sorry) but is it possible to have a turtle store exp/and/or enchant items with it? If they can enchant, could we theoretically feed books into him for enchanting and have a fully automatic enchanted books farm running constantly? :)

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
XP turtles were added in one of the recent updates to Misc. Peripherals. You can read the CC forum post here and scroll down a ways for detailed info. The short version is that you get the XP turtle by crafting a turtle w/ an enchanting table. The turtle can collect xp within 2 blocks of itself or from accessing xp storing blocks (most notably brain-in-a-jar) and can enchant items at specified levels. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it also requires bookshelves to use max enchanting levels as though it were an enchanting table.

Here's a CC forum thread where the poster shows a prototype design for an automated system.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Misc. Peripherals.
To use it in-game you have to craft a turtle with an enchanting table, then use the peripheral.wrap() (or something like that, look up the API on the Computer Craft wiki) command to make it accessable. This will unlock a couple useful little methods under whatever directory you wrapped the enchantment table to, which you can get more info on in the Misc. Peripheral thread in the CC forums. Ctrl+f will probably help you find the peripheral you're looking for in the thread, or you can just peruse the whole selection.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you can. I set one up with a single tier 5 skeleton spawner and it filled a golden chest pretty fast with lvl30 enchanted books. Since you can't really sort the books afaik, you're limited by the storage space you got. 24/7 is not really practical.[DOUBLEPOST=1361306809][/DOUBLEPOST]
XP turtles were added in one of the recent updates to Misc. Peripherals. You can read the CC forum post here and scroll down a ways for detailed info. The short version is that you get the XP turtle by crafting a turtle w/ an enchanting table. The turtle can collect xp within 2 blocks of itself or from accessing xp storing blocks (most notably brain-in-a-jar) and can enchant items at specified levels. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it also requires bookshelves to use max enchanting levels as though it were an enchanting table.

Here's a CC forum thread where the poster shows a prototype design for an automated system.

it doesn't need bookshelves

SebWhittle

Jul 29, 2019
Well once you get the enchants, you can void pipe the non useful ones like disjunction 2 etc and put the good ones into barrels :p EIther way, I don't programme, so theres no way for me to make any system like this, I was just curious if it was possible :p That is, if enchanted books can be sorted via diamond pipe..?

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
You can, but it's more of a Because I Can build than a Because It's Useful one. Unless you can figure out a way to sort the books using more Turtles.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I've been wanting to test that, but I don't think they can sort individually.
One of my goal in SSP is to make a pigman/cow farm which auto-crafts books as needed, auto-enchants them, then ouputs them into a diamond chest for eventual manual sorting with automatic shut off of enchanting when the chest is full. Probably will also implement a way to turn off the turtle's XP collection with a lever so I can grind levels myself as well.
I can post pics of this when it's complete if anyone's interested, but it probably won't be for quite a while.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
Well once you get the enchants, you can void pipe the non useful ones like disjunction 2 etc and put the good ones into barrels :p EIther way, I don't programme, so theres no way for me to make any system like this, I was just curious if it was possible :p That is, if enchanted books can be sorted via diamond pipe..?

You can't sort them with diamond pipes or anything else. There is no automated way of telling the different enchantments apart, the game treats all the books the same.

SebWhittle

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I see, and can barrels not notice the difference? Couldnt you run pneumatic tubes above some barrels and it will insert into the correct ones? Or again is there no way?

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
... I would not reccomend relying on barrels. They're not really designed to store items with differing data values to eachother, and may behave... Oddly, if they accept the books at all.
I haven't tested it, though, so I reccomend testing it in creative mode. Who knows, maybe you found a way to sort them?

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
The books don't have different data value, that's what makes it hard. They have different enchantments.

I just tried the barrels, and surprisingly they CAN store enchanted books, and they DON'T accept books with different enchantments. So the barrel sorting method might actually work. For some reason I though that they don't accept anything enchanted, the same way they don't accept anything with a durability bar showing. Anyways, I will probably rework my exp system in a few days anyways, and I'll include barrels then.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
Huh, I was under the same opinion as you, figured that wouldn't work...
Now to compile a list of all enchantments + the levels available, so we know exactly how many barrels to store them all.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually thinking about enchanting thaumium tools and armor as they have the best enchanting scores and using that to power gregtech magic absorbers. I wonder how big of a battery of those I could keep fed with a single spawner.

Would make my blaze farm borderline useful again.

abculatter_2

Jul 29, 2019
I was actually thinking about enchanting thaumium tools and armor as they have the best enchanting scores and using that to power gregtech magic absorbers. I wonder how big of a battery of those I could keep fed with a single spawner.

Would make my blaze farm borderline useful again.
... This is a pretty cool idea.
It'd take a completely ridiculous number of nether stars to achieve any real EU production, though. Unless it's the 128 eu/t one which consumes enchantments?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
... This is a pretty cool idea.
It'd take a completely ridiculous number of nether stars to achieve any real EU production, though. Unless it's the 128 eu/t one which consumes enchantments?
Neah, 128/t one is for absorbing from the aura or dragon crystals. I'm actually going to make 9 of those for the crystals as well.

But yeah, nether stars I can get, I haven't updated yet and am planing to make the most of my t5 wither spawner. Don't even need to automate it, the wither is an incredible wimp.

FURIOUSGEORGE129

Jul 29, 2019
... I would not reccomend relying on barrels. They're not really designed to store items with differing data values to eachother, and may behave... Oddly, if they accept the books at all.
I haven't tested it, though, so I reccomend testing it in creative mode. Who knows, maybe you found a way to sort them?

I actually highly recommend barrels, just use signs to label them, I enchant over 5k books an hour.