Enchanted books and barrels - not stacking properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandantjones

Jul 29, 2019
So I hooked my mob/xp grinder up to an xp turtle to auto enchant books, and sent the output into a barrel/diamond pipe sorting room. At first, it all worked ok. The barrels would stack books with the same enchantment and level on them, and i went around putting signs in front to tell what they were. Now, an hour later, I turned the grinder on, and all the books that are output aren't stacking properly into their barrels.

Example for clarity: I have a barrel with 6 books of Efficiency IV. the grinder produced 2 more Efficiency IV books, and they won't stack into the barrel. They will stack with each other in a new barrel, but when I try to put them in the barrel manually, it says 'the item is different.' This pattern has repeated with more than 10 other types of books.

Is there something inherently wrong in the barrel sorting system? It worked with all of my 2 diamond chests full of backlogged books, and several new ones. But now a bit later, they're not stacking properly.

What should I do??

For an example setup - I adapted mine from Direwolf20's video here:

Pointern

Jul 29, 2019
Have the same issue... both with bc pipes and tubes..
The sorting is the problem rly..
All my books after a while comes back to overflow chest and if i try to place them manually i get "that item is diffrent"
Works fine for some while but suddenly all books go back to overflow.

commandantjones

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. Now I have 3 different sets of Efficiency IV books, and they wont stack with each other. They were all produced by the same XP turtle, in the same mob grinder, but I have a set of 8, a set of 14, and a set of 3, and they stack within the set, but not with each other. They all look identical to me! And that's just one example with one enchantment. What's the deal, and how do I fix it?

Reactions: Pointern

Pointern

Jul 29, 2019
Hoping someone can answer this and give us a solution :p got like 4 witherskeleton spawners that generate xp :p So need a good sorting for it :)

commandantjones

Jul 29, 2019
Still nothing, eh? I guess enchantments are stored in the NBT data, so it must be in there somewhere, with some difference between the seemingly identical books that wont stack. I have no way to look and see. The thing I don't get is why the NBT data on books enchanted by the same turtle, just at different times, would have any differences at all...

Pointern

Jul 29, 2019
its kinda strange.. because i tried this system both with bc pipes and with pneumatic tubes. At first it works just fine. Suddenly everything go to overflow chest and wont stack at all. So i really dont know why. And i was hoping that someone actually could help us with this issue.
Clearly this is mod issue that should be looked at by someone.

commandantjones

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure the pipes have nothing to do with it. It's the barrels, and the way the enchantment data is stored. I get the same non-stacking behavior even without pipes at all, just manually trying to put the items in barrels.

At this point the thing that confuses me is that all of my books from my first day or two of auto-enchanting stack together with themselves just fine, and then I have a second set of books from when this problem first appeared, and they all stack with themselves, but not with the first set, and now I have at least a third, if not more (i stopped trying), set, that all stack within themselves too, but not with the first or second sets. So something is changing the NBT data stored in the enchanted books at some semi-regular interval, so that there's a hidden flag or piece of info stored in the books that's changing, which is probably unrelated to which enchants are on the book, and how it was made (mine are all made by the same xp turtle in my grinder). I don't know if it's time of day, server reboots, or what, but there has to be something stored in the NBT data that's changing, independent of what the actual item, or its enchantments are....

But I don't know of any way to look at the nbt data for an item stored on a server....

Status
Not open for further replies.