Eleventy-billion wither skellies and... one skull?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm trying to meet Mr. Wither Boss for the first time (yeah, I was busy with other things ok?).

I safari-netted a wither skelly and took him home to hug him and pet him and call him George. Oh, and to auto-spawn him in an MFR machine. Hours and hours later, one goddamn skull... and I'm not even sure if that came from the machine, it might have been one of the times I was in the chamber, trying to figure out if everything is working (it is).

So now I figure, ok, maybe the machine-driven way has been nerfed or just has insanely low odds of dropping a skull or whatever. So I'm in the nether, hunting them with a Looting-3 sword. No skulls so far. What gives?

Is Mr. RNG just having his way with me? Am I supremely unlucky? Has all this been nerfed? Should I just continue with the auto-spawner (it's running right now, back at my chunk-loaded base) and wait several *more* hours?

Frustrated,

Me.

Lisranda

Jul 29, 2019
You aren't that unlucky. The last time I did that the old fashioned way I ended up with 5 or 6 stacks of Coal before getting all three skulls.

My advice is to get a Tinker's Construct "Cleaver" -- a higher tier weapon. They come with the "Beheading" trait built in. Alternately, you could apply the Beheading trait to any other TiC weapon. It won't guarantee drops, but I'd be surprised if I didn't get a skull for every 5th skeleton or so.

Reactions: Someguy

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
Oh
You aren't that unlucky. The last time I did that the old fashioned way I ended up with 5 or 6 stacks of Coal before getting all three skulls.

My advice is to get a Tinker's Construct "Cleaver" -- a higher tier weapon. They come with the "Beheading" trait built in. Alternately, you could apply the Beheading trait to any other TiC weapon. It won't guarantee drops, but I'd be surprised if I didn't get a skull for every 5th skeleton or so.

Oh you know what? I totally forgot about the beheading thing... thanks for the reminder, I'll give that a try.

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not 100% certain, but encrust some lapis on there as well. I think the rare drops luck applies to includes heads.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019

It also stacks, so make yourself a cleaver with the strongest blade you have access to, preferably mahnamahna but any other decently strong metal will do, and make the rest of it from thaumium, load it up with maxed out lapis and use the remaining slots for beheading, which takes one ender pearl and a block of obsidian each.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Are things like lapis and such modifiers available in the non-smeltery old version of TiCo? It'd give me incentive to actually play around with it. (1.4.7 doesn't have a full version of TiCo, just the adopted "beta" version of it)

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
Shit, I have no clue. Your best bet would be to find the mod's changelogs and work your way down to there.

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
Are things like lapis and such modifiers available in the non-smeltery old version of TiCo? It'd give me incentive to actually play around with it. (1.4.7 doesn't have a full version of TiCo, just the adopted "beta" version of it)

I'm not really sure, I think modifiers are in that one, but it doesn't have tier 2 tools if I recall correctly.

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
The changelog says it has been fixed. OP, are you still on Ultimate?

I'm actually on my own pack, pretty similar to Unleashed, most mods at latest or near latest.

My MFR version is 2.6.4 and the MFR changelog for version 2.4.0 says:
"
  • Changed: Grinder can drop Wither Skeleton skulls
"
But it has not happened in many, many hours now.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
As a side. Yes you put lapis on a weapon and give it enough to give it an effect and it will list itself as Looting.

Since wither skeletons also have there head as a random loot drop it is possible with a high beheading + looting to get more then one skull from a skeleton.

This is what I used last time I needed skulls. This was before thuamiaum was an option.

cleaver by Saice, on Flickr

Riuga

Jul 29, 2019
As a side. Yes you put lapis on a weapon and give it enough to give it an effect and it will list itself as Looting.

Since wither skeletons also have there head as a random loot drop it is possible with a high beheading + looting to get more then one skull from a skeleton.

This is what I used last time I needed skulls. This was before thuamiaum was an option.

Dont worry. Thaumium only +1 mod even if theres multiple thaum pieces.