Electrical engines overheating while powering lasers?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
I have 2 lasers working on an assembly table. Now if I understand correctly, each laser has a maximum input of 4MJ/t and this worked great with magmatic engines for me, never did they overheat or seem to store any excess energy at all, however when I switched to electrical engines, immediately they started storing energy and slowly overheated even though it only outputs 2MJ/t. I also tried it with a Boost (1) so it would run at 4MJ/t. The laser is operational, however it seems to run with pauses as if it were running at less than full speed, which makes sense because that would cause it to store energy and eventually overheat.

hotchi

Jul 29, 2019
do you have the engines directly on the laser?
if yes try to use the engines on a wooden pipe (or thermal expension ones)

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
I did have it directly attached to the laser, same as I had it with the magmatics.

I wound up using redstone energy conduits while waiting for a reply and it solved my problem, the lasers are now running at max speed.

Sphinx2k

Jul 29, 2019
The default BC redstone pipes are a bit tricky/Buggy what ever. I got them building up energy in one segment without any reason in a powerline. So i am happy that the energy conduits exist :)

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Electrical engines overheat by design. You need to control their heat via gates if you want them to not overheat.

ExEvolution

Jul 29, 2019
Electrical engines overheat by design. You need to control their heat via gates if you want them to not overheat.
I've never had an electrical engine overheat until attaching it to a laser, except when I was testing and had a ton of engines chained together with boost upgrades to a quarry.

It can only overheat if it stores too much MJ in its internal storage, which shouldn't have been happening because the max input on a laser is 4MJ/t and the electrical engine only generates 2MJ/t with no upgrades. For some reason, only a portion of that 2MJ/t was actually making it out of the engine and the rest was being stored inside, causing the eventual shutdown

Reactions: Dravarden