Efficient ways to transfer power across mods? (noob question)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
OK, so I have a bank of advanced solar panels feeding power into an MFSU.

I'm trying to use this power to run a couple of high drain appliances that need MJ instead of EU. This is tricky. The best solution i've found thus far is to run the power from the MFSU into some electrical engines and use those to charge up a redstone energy cell, but even with upgrades the electrical engines output is pathetic compared to the storage of the energy cell and the power needs of stuff like the purifier and inoculator.

There's got to be a better way, surely?

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid without power converters, there isn't. You have to spam electrical engines. When using them, make a simple circuit board for each one (or whatever the lowest tier circuit board is called) and an equal number of iron electron tubes. Use a soldering iron to attach 1 tube to each board and place 1 board in each engine. This will increase efficiency to 0.4MJ per eu.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
There is also universal cable from UE that seems to be able to convert on the fly. I converted from UE power to MJ with it at least. I'm not sure which mod actually includes it.

I took a quick look at their web page but couldn't find it. I know modding is something people do for fun in their free time, but that wiki almost seem like an orchestrated effort to keep people from using their mods IMHO.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
I'm afraid without power converters, there isn't. You have to spam electrical engines. When using them, make a simple circuit board for each one (or whatever the lowest tier circuit board is called) and an equal number of iron electron tubes. Use a soldering iron to attach 1 tube to each board and place 1 board in each engine. This will increase efficiency to 0.4MJ per eu.
Bronze electron tubes raise output by 4MJ each, but increase consumtion by 15eu/t.
play around with the tubes. a couple elect boosts and eff tubes will be your best bet.
if you can upgrade to using an ultimate solar panel, that can feed 10 electric engines running on two electic boost 2s (the bronze tubes) for a total output of 10MJ/t each. you may be able to get 12 running, but with 10 you can see the power gauge on the solar panel twitching.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Only method of changing EUs directly into MJs without Power Converters is the Electrical Engine. Otherwise, you're going to have to set up a separate infrastructure for MJ power.

Jakeb

Jul 29, 2019
You could feed the power from the mfsu into an oil fabricator, and then refine it into fuel and feed the fuel into an hp boiler to produce steam for your steam engines.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You cannot use your advanced solar panels, but you can use factorizatoin's steam boiler with steam engines or use trees (which are effectively solar) feeding a forestry biogas pipeline to make MJ.

Since you have so much EU, the easiest way by far to start providing MJ is not to convert the power but just to make a tree farm and use your free EU to make charcoal and put that into banks of cheap stirling engines or thermal expansion steam engines. It is very easy to produce a lot of MJ this way and you can power your farm off your EU.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
You cannot use your advanced solar panels, but you can use factorizatoin's steam boiler with steam engines or use trees (which are effectively solar) feeding a forestry biogas pipeline to make MJ.

Since you have so much EU, the easiest way by far to start providing MJ is not to convert the power but just to make a tree farm and use your free EU to make charcoal and put that into banks of cheap stirling engines or thermal expansion steam engines. It is very easy to produce a lot of MJ this way and you can power your farm off your EU.

Yeah, but then you end up with the mirrors looking disgustingly like this:

Kraken_Mouth.jpg

Lol. I saw someone post it once...and the moment I saw it, I got goosebumps all over because it reminded me of the picture above.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but then you end up with the mirrors looking disgustingly like this:

Lol. I saw someone post it once...and the moment I saw it, I got goosebumps all over because it reminded me of the picture above.

Errrhhhh,, ummmmmm....

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Does it give you the heebie jeebies too? Lol.[DOUBLEPOST=1375058153][/DOUBLEPOST]

No. I saw someone showed their setup of the factorization solar boiler farm using mirrors. I can't remember where it was. Top down, it looked like the image I showed in my previous post.

No. It looks like a mirror farm. You may be one of those people with a fear of repetitive and clustered patterns.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
OK, so I have a bank of advanced solar panels feeding power into an MFSU.

I'm trying to use this power to run a couple of high drain appliances that need MJ instead of EU. This is tricky. The best solution i've found thus far is to run the power from the MFSU into some electrical engines and use those to charge up a redstone energy cell, but even with upgrades the electrical engines output is pathetic compared to the storage of the energy cell and the power needs of stuff like the purifier and inoculator.

There's got to be a better way, surely?

Conversion of different energy sources and "efficient" simply don't go hand in hand I'm afraid. One ultimate solar panel can provide you with a full 100j/t, however.

No. It looks like a mirror farm. You may be one of those people with a fear of repetitive and clustered patterns.

Probably. I got goosebumps (and still occasionally do) when I first saw the completed outcome of a large quarried area. The bedrock was just utterly gross and reminded me of holes on the surface of your skin. This is one of the reasons I now solely quarry in oceans, so I don't have to see bedrock.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Probably. I got goosebumps (and still occasionally do) when I first saw the completed outcome of a large quarried area. The bedrock was just utterly gross and reminded me of holes on the surface of your skin. This is one of the reasons I now solely quarry in oceans, so I don't have to see bedrock.

Did you know that this reaction actually has visibile (via MRI and fMRI) characteristics in your brain? Everyone has a bit of discomfort, but profound sufferers can be utterly debilitated by it. It's called Trypophobia. A jokey but semi-serious test: can you stare at this page for more than a few seconds?

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Did you know that this reaction actually has visibile (via MRI and fMRI) characteristics in your brain? Everyone has a bit of discomfort, but profound sufferers can be utterly debilitated by it. It's called Trypophobia. A jokey but semi-serious test: can you stare at this page for more than a few seconds?

* freaks out *

Hey, I learned a new thing about myself. :p