Efficient EU Production?

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
The Magma Crucible + Geothermal Gen is so powerful that breaking into the Nether is one of my first priorities. It also allows a single breakout point for BC/IC2 power (lava running TE magma engines for BC, GeoTherm for IC2).

At first, manually mining rack and carrying it back is a viable bootstrap to an automated system with a quarry, as the Crucibles are efficient. Once a quarry is running, you'll need some lava storage:

Y6rFB.png

A mere 3 quarry runs (standard 9x9) in the nether filled this supertank, with a silver chest full of Nrack left over as buffer. YMMV on this amount, based on where you set up the nether quarry. I scaffold to the top.

I would prefer to replace the kludgy Nether Chest / BC pipe solution with Mystcraft portals and rails, but I haven't gotten around to discovering crystals yet.

AnnaMayBelle

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, shows how out-of-touch I am... I just -stared- at the supertank for a minute. I've never actually seen one before. XD

Yeah, we need to get to exploring Mystcraft Ages soon so we can get into fun stuff like that ourselves. But now I feel especially excited to get into a Magma Crucible setup!

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, shows how out-of-touch I am... I just -stared- at the supertank for a minute. I've never actually seen one before. XD

Yeah, we need to get to exploring Mystcraft Ages soon so we can get into fun stuff like that ourselves. But now I feel especially excited to get into a Magma Crucible setup!

Heh that is not the "supertank" it's just "bigger than small" (7x7x8) the supertank is 9x9x8 though I do believe it is only available if you set a config to allow it :)

Katrinya

Jul 29, 2019
I'm envious that you got your fiance to play Minecraft with you. Mine won't even give the game a chance. *sad face*

On topic, I'm a big fan of the portal-Nether-pump-tankcart setup that others have described. Around 6 or so geothermal generators is more than enough to keep my advanced machines running and power a mass fabricator (with scrap). Add some magma engines and you can have one room for all your power-generation needs (well, almost).

If you don't like that setup or want to avoid the Nether, I think a Steve's Carts treefarm and biogas are your best bet. Bump it up to biofuel if you like, but I like never worrying about my engines overheating. Of course, biogas engines require a bit of lava too, but only a little! No need to schlep to the Nether. :)

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
Ir you disable gregtech stupid recipes: use solar.

If not, use pump + lava lake + Geothermal.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Forcicium produce sick amount of EU with simple setup. You can convert one Forcicium to about 1 000 000 EU. Just put capacitor, extractor with converter beside it and another converter for output. Then link extractor and converters to capacitor. After that set capacitor next to the extractor to sufficient voltage (I tested with 2048 EU/t) and jump start it with one coal in a generator next to the extractor. Without any boosters it is stable at about 190 Eu/t constant output. What the best, you get 10 forcicium from one ore, it is basically nuclear reactor with very cheap setup.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Why does everyone want to tromp back and forth to the nether for netherrack? Hop into the nether, build a quick cobble house near a lake, toss down a pump, connect it to a magmatic engine and a liquid transposer. Use 2 ender chests (one input, one output) and a stack of tin cells. Back home, reverse the ender chests and have a transposer empty them into a tank for you. You'll quickly have more than enough lava to power several Geothermal Generators as well as a few more magma engines for BC power =)

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Forcicium produce sick amount of EU with simple setup. You can convert one Forcicium to about 1 000 000 EU. Just put capacitor, extractor with converter beside it and another converter for output. Then link extractor and converters to capacitor. After that set capacitor next to the extractor to sufficient voltage (I tested with 2048 EU/t) and jump start it with one coal in a generator next to the extractor. Without any boosters it is stable at about 190 Eu/t constant output. What the best, you get 10 forcicium from one ore, it is basically nuclear reactor with very cheap setup.
Do you mind posting a screenshot?

jim johnstone

Jul 29, 2019
Here's my design for an energy farm. 4 floors. Bottom floor is a peat farm, then 2 floors of wheat and a tree farm on the roof. The peat produced by the bog powers all but 4 engines (which burn biomass -being right next to the tank- and are located in the basement, producing the bog earth and humus) with enough peat left over to toss in generators.

The wheat produces mulch for bog earth and humus, the bog produces dirt and the tree farm produces the sand needed for bog earth. The logs farmed on the roof go to another building next door with 4*6 coke ovens, producing charcoal (that gets tossed into the generator too) and creosote. The whole systems is almost hands free, lacking additional buildcraft objects or, to be more specific, round robin pipes, as there tends to be a buildup of resources in the bog earth machine. The whole system runs through the building core, growth due to glowstone is 24/7 and it produces loads of creosote, seed oil and biomass as well as a surplus of materials which gets tossed in the generators.

Overall you produce EU from charcoal, biomass (which can be turned efficiently into biofuel as previously posted) and excess peat. The whole system can be turned off with 1 lever.
20121204164439.png

20121204164514.png

Reactions: TiGG and noah_wolfe

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Do you mind posting a screenshot?
Here you are:
Lua98.png

There is a redstone signal to both of the converters; extractor is filled with forcicium. Extractor and converters are linked using MFFS cards to the capacitor, converter next to the extractor is set to 2048 EU/t. Without gregtech (i.e. without Matterfabricator) this setup is self sustaining with uu-matter without needing scrap (even after uu-matter recipe nerf in 1.4.5). Without overclocking one extractor is enough to power second converter with 190 output, with full overclock (19 upgrades) it can sustain about 1800 EU/t output, consuming a lot of Forcicium in the process.

Reactions: ksbd

BlackFire

Jul 29, 2019
Here you are:
Lua98.png

There is a redstone signal to both of the converters; extractor is filled with forcicium. Extractor and converters are linked using MFFS cards to the capacitor, converter next to the extractor is set to 2048 EU/t. Without gregtech (i.e. without Matterfabricator) this setup is self sustaining with uu-matter without needing scrap (even after uu-matter recipe nerf in 1.4.5). Without overclocking one extractor is enough to power second converter with 190 output, with full overclock (19 upgrades) it can sustain about 1800 EU/t output, consuming a lot of Forcicium in the process.
Thank you!! didnt know it was that simple. I'm going to have to play around with that.

Maico

Jul 29, 2019
Here you are:
Lua98.png

Mhm, anyone else experiencing the problem that the output on the converter can't be changed?
Nevermind, i had to take the link cart out before changing the output x)

Qwe1rty

Jul 29, 2019

EDIT: Nevermind, thanks! :D

Alfuken

Jul 29, 2019
Here you are:
Lua98.png

Hey, is this setup still viable? I'm playing on server with gregtech, and was unable to build this thing to even keep itself up and running. To me it looks like the extractor consumes 1 EU per 1 unit of Forcicium Power. Absolutely zero profit - second converter even can not be powered as there is no FP left.

UPD: Just measured: extractor cosumes exactly 1EU per 1FE extracted. Sad.