Easiest/Best way to obliterate all silverfish/monster eggs from your game?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Muckbeast

Jul 29, 2019
Please help! :)

What is the easiest/best way to remove/eliminate/obliterate all silverfish/monster eggs from your game? I consistently find them absolutely frustrating and annoying and they don't add any excitement or fun to gameplay. Everyone I play with agrees, so we want to eliminate them.

I'd prefer some kind of config file edit, but I'm willing to try other things as well.

1) Ideally something that can work on a game that is already running. I don't want to have to start over from scratch to do this.

2) With #1 in mind, if there is a great solution that can only happen in a new game, I'd still like to know it. Then I can just do that when I make my next world.

3) If the best way to do this is via a mod, hopefully something simple that doesn't interfere with other mods. I always play some kind of modpack and they usually have a lot of mods already. I don't want to break the modpack just to do this.

Thanks so much!

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
I can think of a couple ways to do this, maybe.

First off is World Edit, which can replace all of a block type with another, though I believe that it can only mess with a premade world. So, you's have to replace the monster egg blocks basically every time you load new chunks.

Second is Mob Properties. It can't remove the blocks, but it should be able to let you make silverfish die on their spawning in some way. Maybe have 0 health, or for humerous intent make them explode like creepers or tnt without block or entity damage. It doesn't get rid of the Monster egg blocks, but the silverfish won't be a problem.

However, If you want silverfish to add excitement to gameplay, then I would suggest Infernal mobs or my previous exploding silverfish idea. With Infernal mobs' configs, you can set ratios on how often specific mobs are infernal. Something that me and my brother like to do, is to set all mobs infernal on a 100% chance. Every mob becomes dangerous. You can also use this to make it so that specific mobs are never infernal in case you would want to make Silverfish a serious threat, but leave other mobs as is.

Reactions: RedBoss

Muckbeast

Jul 29, 2019
First off is World Edit, which can replace all of a block type with another, though I believe that it can only mess with a premade world. So, you's have to replace the monster egg blocks basically every time you load new chunks.

Does this mod safely "play nice" with other mods? Sounds like this mod is pretty handy to use for a variety of reasons.

Is it easy to break your existing game using this?

Second is Mob Properties. It can't remove the blocks, but it should be able to let you make silverfish die on their spawning in some way. Maybe have 0 health, or for humerous intent make them explode like creepers or tnt without block or entity damage. It doesn't get rid of the Monster egg blocks, but the silverfish won't be a problem.

Again, does this mod play nicely with others?

Mods I am using right now in Magic Farm 3:

http://www.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/227425-magic-farm-3-harvest

However, If you want silverfish to add excitement to gameplay, then I would suggest Infernal mobs or my previous exploding silverfish idea. With Infernal mobs' configs, you can set ratios on how often specific mobs are infernal. Something that me and my brother like to do, is to set all mobs infernal on a 100% chance. Every mob becomes dangerous. You can also use this to make it so that specific mobs are never infernal in case you would want to make Silverfish a serious threat, but leave other mobs as is.

Magic Farm 3 uses: "AtomicStryker's Infernal Mobs (by AtomicStryker)"

Is that what you mean?

Does that mean I could use that mod to change silverfish behavior? Anything that just gets rid of them or nullifies them would be nice. Disappear, harmlessly explode, anything.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Does this mod safely "play nice" with other mods? Sounds like this mod is pretty handy to use for a variety of reasons.

Is it easy to break your existing game using this?

If you go messing around with it, without knowing exactly what you're doing and how to do it, then yes. It is very easy to break a world. Fortunately, if you do mess something up, if you know how, you can use world edit to fix it. It basically only messes with what you tell it to.

Again, does this mod play nicely with others?

Mods I am using right now in Magic Farm 3:

http://www.curse.com/modpacks/minecraft/227425-magic-farm-3-harvest
Yeah. It should already be in the pack. All you'd need to do is know how to edit the json file associated with it. Also a thing that breaks stuff it you mess around instead of knowing exactly what you're doing and how to do it.

Magic Farm 3 uses: "AtomicStryker's Infernal Mobs (by AtomicStryker)"

Is that what you mean?

Does that mean I could use that mod to change silverfish behavior? Anything that just gets rid of them or nullifies them would be nice. Disappear, harmlessly explode, anything.
Yeah, sorry, I was talking about AtomicStryker's version. I searched curse for the mod page and the other one was the only one to pop up, so i assumed it was the right one.

If you want silverfish to disappear, rather than becoming a threat, then no Infernal mobs doesn't really help. If you just want the silverfish to go away, then Deadly world is the mod that makes them spawn so frequently. You can use its config to keep all the extra monster eggs from spawning. Note that this doesn't prevent vanilla spawned monster eggs in strongholds or extreme hills biomes from spawning, and would require a world reset to get rid of the ones that are already there. If you know java, and you can edit Json files confidently, then i would suggest making silverfish just explode when spawned and deal no damage rather than restarting.

Muckbeast

Jul 29, 2019
So Magic Farm 3 doesn't have WorldEdit or MobProperties. It sounds like WorldEdit might be something I want to learn and install in general for not just this mod but the future. It looks like that gives you a LOT of control over stuff.

Am I correct in assuming that simply adding/installing WorldEdit will not in itself change, alter, or affect a modpack or gameplay. I have to start using its commands to actually cause things to happen, right?

I will look into editing some Deadly World configs to see if I can eliminate the silverfish problem that way. My java knowledge is so-so and I'd rather avoid editing them if possible.

Thanks so much for the help!

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
So Magic Farm 3 doesn't have WorldEdit or MobProperties. It sounds like WorldEdit might be something I want to learn and install in general for not just this mod but the future. It looks like that gives you a LOT of control over stuff.

Am I correct in assuming that simply adding/installing WorldEdit will not in itself change, alter, or affect a modpack or gameplay. I have to start using its commands to actually cause things to happen, right?

I will look into editing some Deadly World configs to see if I can eliminate the silverfish problem that way. My java knowledge is so-so and I'd rather avoid editing them if possible.

Thanks so much for the help!
World edit isn't a mod, it's a program. And yes, unless you use it, it won't do anything(even if it is a mod, this is true).
My advice, since no one has said this yet, is before using World Edit, backup your world that you're going to use it on; safety first.
And most mods these days use .cfg files for their config files, which is a renamed .txt file basically. No Java needed.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
World edit isn't a mod, it's a program. And yes, unless you use it, it won't do anything(even if it is a mod, this is true).
My advice, since no one has said this yet, is before using World Edit, backup your world that you're going to use it on; safety first.
And most mods these days use .cfg files for their config files, which is a renamed .txt file basically. No Java needed.
I think you mean MCEdit. :p
World Edit is a bukkit plugin, I believe.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta be careful with WorldEdit though I remember crashing my server by overlaying a 10 chunk radius with fire. Lets just say the server did not like it one bit.
This was vanilla beta days though.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk