Early projects in new DW20 pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi All,

Looking at some of the Mod walkthrough's from DireWolf20 in his latest pack...

So what are people thinking of as an early project for things like Power, Storage etc?

-Wuffle!

C

Culprit

As I just started as well, I am about midgame right now, just set up an AE system, but when I started I immeaditly set up a SAG mill and Alloy smelter on either side of a Stirling Generator. All of these are easy to make and now you have a easy ore doubling method that just takes coal to power. As soon as I had the resources I made a Magmatic Dynamo hooked up to a drum filled with lava. I used Ender IO pressurized fluid conduits but you could probably use Buildcraft pipes or another type of piping. I also made a leadstone energy cell to store the excess energy. Pretty much a infinite power source.

For storage I would use barrels for your heavy hitters such as cobble, dirt, and wood, and then iron chests or even more upgraded chests for storage.

I don't know about you but for early game resources I used a mining turtle. As soon as you have three diamonds you can make it, and it never will break or anything. Check out this video
for instructions. Don't worry, you don't need to worry about setting up a GPS yet as long as you don't exit the server while it's going. Just download the program, put in the name of the program, i used OreQuarry, and then do it like this: OreQuarry 10 x (then stand next to it at the same level and check the Y pos on your minimap and then put that down, here I used x as an example) then just hit enter and there you go, plenty of resources. I would set up a chunkloader for it as soon as you get 2 more diamonds so if you go out of the chunk it doesn't lose its code and just stop because that is a pain in the butt.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Hrm... probably a bit more of a challange to myself than "using everything you can", my early project is:
- Immersive engineering
- Forestry farms

I only used tinker's tool up to stone with no modifiers (to at least have a little easier time while mining and chopping trees) and the grindstone for very early, manual ore doubling-chance. My main early-game-focus is immersive engineering when it comes to power-creation, ore doubling, smelting and such things. (probably a bit of peat-generators from forestry, too)

Reason for me is pretty simple: whenever I see someone using immersive engineering it's always the waterwheels, then ignoring 90% of it to come back later when you already have so many ressources that you don't know what to do with them anymore (cause of alot easier to set up ore-doubling, automatic mining and so on).
So I'm quiet curious how immersive engineering plays "for itself" (besides a bit of forestry for farming for bio diesel) without having alot of backup from other mods which are not that expensive to set up :)

[edit]
I might add in a bit of actually addition when it comes to power/item transfer. Since I always had problems with the IE cables and conveyer belts in 1.7.10. So in case they made a lil bit of trouble I switch them out.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm I have never heard of water wheels, what kind of power do they generate?

I think the max is around 88RF/t, using 1 dynamo, 3 waterwheels and a bit complicated use of where to place water-source blocks.
At least it was so in 1.7.10, not sure if they changed that a bit in 1.10.

While it's not that strong compared to other power options, it's big advantage is that it's free power. So no worries about coal, lava and so on.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
As I just started as well, I am about midgame right now, just set up an AE system, but when I started I immeaditly set up a SAG mill and Alloy smelter on either side of a Stirling Generator. All of these are easy to make and now you have a easy ore doubling method that just takes coal to power. As soon as I had the resources I made a Magmatic Dynamo hooked up to a drum filled with lava. I used Ender IO pressurized fluid conduits but you could probably use Buildcraft pipes or another type of piping. I also made a leadstone energy cell to store the excess energy. Pretty much a infinite power source.

For storage I would use barrels for your heavy hitters such as cobble, dirt, and wood, and then iron chests or even more upgraded chests for storage.

I don't know about you but for early game resources I used a mining turtle. As soon as you have three diamonds you can make it, and it never will break or anything. Check out this video
for instructions. Don't worry, you don't need to worry about setting up a GPS yet as long as you don't exit the server while it's going. Just download the program, put in the name of the program, i used OreQuarry, and then do it like this: OreQuarry 10 x (then stand next to it at the same level and check the Y pos on your minimap and then put that down, here I used x as an example) then just hit enter and there you go, plenty of resources. I would set up a chunkloader for it as soon as you get 2 more diamonds so if you go out of the chunk it doesn't lose its code and just stop because that is a pain in the butt.

Im going on the assumption that the "new DW20" is referring to 1.10, which has no versions of a number of mods you reference. This is why I am opposed to reusing the same pack names over numerous Minecraft versions. That's a fight for another thread though...

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Try to get an Angel Ring before anything else except some tinkers tools (smeltery is required though gotta have you a hammer).
Early game for me was Smeltery, Hammer (bit of Actually Additions for a bag and the only tool you will always have on your hotbar an Obsidian AIOT), (bit of IC2 for a Jetpack cause I aint chasing Ghasts on foot) Angel Ring (with associated power gen).

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
I started with 1.10 as well last weekend. For the moment I wen´t Tinkers Construct (Slime tools works pritty well) and basic manual farms for basic String, food, wood. EnderIO Basic maschines (SagMil + Smelter).
Now I would like to start with some basic passive RF creation and I think I will go with Immersive Engineering. But first I would like to get Ender Pearls and Blaze Rods in a semi automated way.
I can´t stand hunting down Endermen or Blazers so normaly I abbused MFR to get a spawner running asap. In this pack now I¨m not sure how to handel this.
All Spawners even if semi Automated seems pritty late midgame... Anything I oversee?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I started with 1.10 as well last weekend. For the moment I wen´t Tinkers Construct (Slime tools works pritty well) and basic manual farms for basic String, food, wood. EnderIO Basic maschines (SagMil + Smelter).
Now I would like to start with some basic passive RF creation and I think I will go with Immersive Engineering. But first I would like to get Ender Pearls and Blaze Rods in a semi automated way.
I can´t stand hunting down Endermen or Blazers so normaly I abbused MFR to get a spawner running asap. In this pack now I¨m not sure how to handel this.
All Spawners even if semi Automated seems pritty late midgame... Anything I oversee?

A basic darkroom mob trap can help tremendously in the early days, and can be upgraded with conveyor belts as time and resources become available to create an automated setup. So far as Blaze hunting, I usually set up a manual grinder on a Blaze Spawner for the early stages, since that and a Ghast tear or two are my priorities when I breach the Nether.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I find it to be pretty easy to get to tier 4 blood magic as self-sacrifice has been improved tremendously and the largest cost is a few diamonds and a bit of time. From there I use a cursed earth(really easy to get in 1.10.2) room for the well of suffering ritual and then put a call of zephyr ritual near the well of suffering ritual to pick up all the items. Makes a nice mob farm and if you build the cursed earth 3 high a nice way to get ender pearls. As a extra precaution which almost seems needed in 1.10.2 I put a ender tether in the middle of the cursed earth room to prevent enderman from escaping.

It's nothing fancy but it supplies all my LP needs, feeds me a decent amount of gunpowder,string,bones,and rotten flesh along with the ender pearls.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Some great ideas here :)

I am currently using the Smeltery and mining ores, got a basic food farm going with bread and now using the machines that Dire is using in episode 3.

I scored an Emerald too in my mining, I think it's the first time i've found an emerald in a LONG time.

I'm on the same seed as DW20 (but different base location) and I have found some rubber trees, might give IC2 a bit of a go and see if nano suit is available...

-Wuffle!

vlademir1

Jul 29, 2019
I went the route of smeltery for early game ore doubling (tons of lava in my world) which I semi-automated by pushing out molten metals to Ender IO tanks via EU2 (the EU2 node and pipe recipes are dirt cheap for early game) each with a faucet and casting table or basin as appropriate. I then made an engineers hammer, used that to make an iron plate which I used to make a plate cast from which I jumped into early game IC2 power intending to do EU->RF via IE only to hit a wall on that front and having to go forestry electric engines to convert the output from my geothermals (like I said, tons of lava). That gave me enough RF to jump into using AA to make RF (AA farm for canola feeding into a Forestry squeezer then still to make oil which goes into the AA oil generator at a net gain of 102 kRF per 13 canola) which is now the main power gen for my base (powering early Ender IO machines, early AA machines and a couple other auto farms). Now I'm upgrading my lava pumping setup to use RF (was using an IC2 pump with attached geothermal) and passing lava via endertanks to the smeltery and geothermals and heading down the road to an IC2 jetpack so I can find a nether fortress and get a cursed earth mob farm going.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at backpacks, with the iron backpack mod. Just wondering, what do you think is the best one for mass mining?

-Wuffle!

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Looking at backpacks, with the iron backpack mod. Just wondering, what do you think is the best one for mass mining?

-Wuffle!

I'm using two Iron Backpacks, both diamond, one as my "toolbag" and another as my "void this crap so I don't have to stop mining every 3 minutes" bag that one is "mining, compression (3x3), void", main backpack has "adv nesting, restocking" nesting just so i can put the nasty voiding mining bag away when I'm not using it.

I'd also suggest the actually additions drill as a superb use of effort. I have 2 that I'm using one which does a 5x5 panel with the second speed upgrade and can place some block I specify, the other is max fortune, second speed upgrade as well and uses the place function to activate a "not enough wands" illumination wand.

Starfang42

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running a diamond-tier storage-emphasis backpack which is pretty much WTFFFS's "Void this crap" pack, with a "dump everything into a chest" tacked on as well. Not super-useful at the moment (really only good for dumping stuff into Storage Drawers), but eventually I'll be building my base proper with a refined storage system, and being able to just dump everything into an input chest will be win and awesome at that point.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Well, just been pottering around, keeping pace with DireWolf's videos at the moment. Using the same seed, but base is much further south of where DireWolf is on his video's.

2016-11-30_21.15.23.png Here I am overlooking my new base, built into the side of a hill, you can see my farm with one of each of the harvestable crops in rows that I have come across, including coffee
2016-11-30_21.15.50.png Here is a close up shot of my machines from the 'Actually Additions' mod.
2016-11-30_21.15.58.png And Tinker's construct

I've made some half decent tools, the smeltery is up and running too. Found a good source of Lava nearby.

I'm going to make an old fashioned storage barn! Not finished yet but on its way.

Will need to go to Nether shortly, am dreading that..

2016-11-30_21.23.07.png

Will post more pics and updates :)

-Wuffle!

Attachments

• 2016-11-30_21.15.28.png
    2016-11-30_21.15.28.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 2016-11-30_21.17.54.png
    2016-11-30_21.17.54.png
    392.6 KB · Views: 37

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Make sure you are ready with a bow and lots of arrows, Blazes can spawn outside of Fortress boundaries. If possible, get a bucket of slime water, you can pour that in the Nether to turn lava into Obsidian and save yourself a major headache.

Reactions: JaRyCu

Greystoke

Jan 7, 2016
Is Biomes of Plenty in the DW20 mod pack? Could try using the liquid blood in the Nether to make lava into obsidian.

Reactions: JaRyCu