DW201.6 holy cow thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
meh, more like just an unofficial thread to discuss your experience with the modpack...

Among other things... 1.6+Twilight Forrest= bro, bring your chainsaw... its going to be a long day at teh zombie apocalypses. You best come packing with your finest gear. This is serious business here. Can't imagine what the horizons pack looks like when trying to tackle a hollow hill :eek:

Feyriin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm still just trying to figure out how to set a waypoint.. I haven't used vanilla methods for marking my base in a long time.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
what did I do? :confused:
Mapwriter is the minimap, right? Opis is the server-owner mod that tests your server and finds sources of lag. Telling someone to mess around with Opis will cause them lots and lots of lag because it's testing for lag sources every tick interval you set, which turns out to be bad because they suddenly have lots of lag and don't know why. xD

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Mapwriter is the minimap, right? Opis is the server-owner mod that tests your server and finds sources of lag. Telling someone to mess around with Opis will cause them lots and lots of lag because it's testing for lag sources every tick interval you set, which turns out to be bad because they suddenly have lots of lag and don't know why. xD

I was more aiming at the configurations to for example change the look of the minimap and modes, wasn't meant at changing those kind of configurations :p

Reactions: TheAbstractHippo

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I believe the waypoint setting is done by pressing the insert key on your keyboard. It will place a marker on your hud map after you enter a couple of organizational questions.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
His modpack is basically just the 1.6 packs we've been all playing months ago, and have gotten bored of or have continued playing.

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
If you install the pack, you'll note that just Opis is in the /mods folder; Opis by default has a built-in copy of MapWriter. This actually caused some people some confusion earlier because they wanted to disable MapWriter in preference of another minimap mod, but couldn't find the MapWriter .jar file to disable it.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
His modpack is basically just the 1.6 packs that I haven't been playing and have been waiting on since months ago, and have gotten really excited to see an explanation of everything that has transgressed since 1.4.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Presumptuous and unproductive.

Sure, but the complaint that his modpack is exceptionally conservative and only incrementally different from his 1.5 modpack is definitely a valid observation. In fact, it's VERY much like his season 4 modpack, as well. qCraft is abut the most exciting thing.

I suppose I should be happy though. If DW20 competed with my novelty-build strategy directly, my YT channel would be crushed. ;)

Deftscythe

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's only valid if you assume that his SSP series is for experienced players of modded minecraft only, but he's made very clear in the first episode of the new season that one of his goals(perhaps even the primary goal) is to expand the community of players.

Also, one could argue that the big changes to IC2 and thaumcraft(and to a lesser extent TE) make them practically new mods.

Don't get me wrong though, as a viewer I'd love to see Direwolf branch out more and use some mods that are out of his comfort zone. That being said I think his goal is a worthy one and I'm glad there's someone with as much exposure as him doing it.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I think that's only valid if you assume that his SSP series is for experienced players of modded minecraft only, but he's made very clear in the first episode of the new season that one of his goals(perhaps even the primary goal) is to expand the community of players.

That's the deep irony. He does things the hard way and eschews mods that might help. Look at the end of his most recent (at the time of this writing) SMP episode where he decides to set up ethanol to power a quarry. Set aside that he is using Railcraft (that's for the sport of it) and notice that he's using ExUtils for water but not for fuel, power, or items.. Maximum difficulty build: engage.

He also passed on Chisel, which is like crazy-go-whackanuts. But I digress. Seriously, want a 1-step process to make a 9x9 look awesome? Run the material through Chisel. There. Done.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Yep. To me all of the packs took substantial evolutions. they are all just new mods, none to the RR players of course, but to common ftb players, they have never seen TC4 or TE3, etc.