DW20 5.1 - RailCraft Steam Boiler Changes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

emmasteadman

Jul 29, 2019
So I updated the DW20 pack to 5.1. but I've noticed the Steam Boiler now consumes fuel (specifically Blaze Rods) at a heck of a rate. My low pressure max size boiler is at max temp/efficiency, but its more that my Tier 5 Blaze Spawner can keep up with.

Is this intended?

If so, the rate at which it is consuming fuel wouldn't make it worth while.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Must be a bug then, because at 500c max efficiency it's consuming 1 - 2 blaze rods per second.

That's definitely off, they're supposed to last ~7 seconds last I heard.

Try testing charcoal or another fuel and seeing how long it lasts, the fuel values might be completely borked or maybe he just secretly nerfed blaze rods.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you look at the tooltip you would see that it says Blazerods are worth .5k heat which is down from 2.4k heat. So probably between 6.14 and 6.15.3 he nerfed it without changing adding it to the changelog. It was probably expected because of what Soul Shards caused with blaze rod farming.

emmasteadman

Jul 29, 2019
Well if you look at the tooltip you would see that it says Blazerods are worth .5k heat which is down from 2.4k heat. So probably between 6.14 and 6.15.3 he nerfed it without changing adding it to the changelog. It was probably expected because of what Soul Shards caused with blaze rod farming.

Ye i just noticed it. Anyone know a way to change it back?
Some config perhaps?

I mean if I wanted it hard, I'd install GregTech or something.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. There is no config to alter fuel levels for the boiler in the Railcraft config. Accept it and move on. I wouldn't call it 'hard' to switch to a liquid fuel, which seems to be the only reliable way to fuel a boiler at this point. A 36 LP boiler will only use ~6 buckets of fuel per hour, which in a single geyser of oil of about ~400 buckets would last more than 2.5 real life days of running. Biofuel also works and is completely renewable. Blazerods are now dead as boiler fuel, just like lava.

emmasteadman

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. There is no config to alter fuel levels for the boiler in the Railcraft config. Accept it and move on. I wouldn't call it 'hard' to switch to a liquid fuel, which seems to be the only reliable way to fuel a boiler at this point. A 36 LP boiler will only use ~6 buckets of fuel per hour, which in a single geyser of oil of about ~400 buckets would last more than 2.5 real life days of running. Biofuel also works and is completely renewable. Blazerods are now dead as boiler fuel, just like lava.

Good to know there's a viable alternative, kinda makes solid fuel boilers redundant now though, since there's no realistic way to keep them fueled. Anyway, time to break out those tesseracts and start pumping liquids........gonna miss my blaze spawner though :p

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Do planks or peat still work? Those were both viable methods of fueling one.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't checked if it's been changed in this update, but I'm pretty sure you can run 2 solid fueled boilers off of the planks+charcoal output of a sawmill fed by a Steve's Carts tree farm.

EDIT: ninja'd

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Coal coke, alumentum and peat still work pretty well in solid fuel boilers. And they don't require you to solve the riddle of steel or look for two snakes coming together over your head, which is a plus in a post 1990 game.

But I thought that solid fuel low pressure boilers were always more efficient in smaller sizes? I thought liquid fueling was always the intended system for large boilers because of how insanely fast even blaze rods burned.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
Boilers have always been more efficient in larger sizes. Solid and Liquid both follow the exact same rules for all calculations with the only variables being the size and pressure of the boiler, the only difference between fuel types being the heat values. Liquids are really the most reliable in my opinion since they can be more easily pumped into the boiler without entities floating around.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Ouch, that smarts.

I did a steve's farm last time, was hoping to avoid it this time.

Oh well, que sera, sera. Just a bit more till fusion, after that it's electric motors for everything.

Wait a second, can you hear that?

m2CXFSu.jpg

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Well, at least now I know that I won't need to grind this Blaze Soul Shard anymore.
Time to abuse oil or automatically cook all my wood I guess

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
solid fuel boilers have not been feeling the love for quite a few railcraft versions. First it was the double heat needed and double the heat value of liquid (leaving solid fuels untouched), then it was nerf lava, not sure if scrap is nerfed yet or not since that was exploitable. and now nerfing blaze rods. I'm hoping the old forestry farms stay in the game as it still is the most efficient peat setup, and the machines can be stacked pretty efficiently. Although, sengir has talked about removing them and using the new farms only.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
The old farms will very probably be removed. In new installations they will be disabled by default even.

I personally don't mind that blazerods are nerfed. They were too easy to set up IMHO. With the Twilight Forest and Mystcraft in the pack it's very easy to get a soulshard to T5.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Looks like it was a good idea that I held back my boiler fuel efficiency spreadsheet until this update. I knew the hobbyist engine changed in Railcraft 6.15 (and I already incorporated that change), but together with the GregTech updates it looks like a total rework of the fuel table is in order. Guess I know what I'll be doing when I get home this evening... :confused:

FrozenBrain

Jul 29, 2019
My boiler also uses blaze rods to produce heat. Once it's heated up to a good 400°C a T5 blaze spawner can easily spawn enough blazes to keep the boiler running (I even get a lot of excess blaze rods).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Planks still work a treat once the boiler is up to max heat. My tree farm is producing more fuel then I can use.

No doubt the change was put in place to also help server load too. Blaze farms left out of control results in a lot of entities and more server stress.

Well, at least we know that one of DW20's later episodes will be changing his fuel supply for his boiler.