DW20 1.7.10, funky locomotion mining machine??

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
Been toying around with making a mining machine(vertical tunnel bore) using funky locomotion and terrain smashers, but I have come upon a problem. I have a reliable 6-axis caterpillar drive to move the thing, but I have not been able to figure out a way to actually attach the terrain smashers too the bottom of it and still be able to pipe items out of it. This is using the DW20 1.7.10 pack.

The problem arises when trying to find a pipe that I can use to accept items from the terrain smashers, and still be able to use the hollow frame panels to tie the terrain smashers to the rest of the mining machine. Ender IO item pipes do not work with the hollow frame panels, nor do BC pipes. MFR plastic tubes do not work with them either. Extra utility transfer pipes DO work, but the item transfer nodes do not...

The design is a 7x7 tower with the caterpillar drive inside it, and an ore processing facility on top. The cutting head is a 9x9 of terrain smashers that need to be routed to a single feed line that runs too the ore processing facility on top of the machine.

Anyone have any ideas how too attach the terrain smashers and piping too the bottom of a "funky locomotion" platform, in such a way, that the platform , piping, and terrain smashers can move together?

I'm a bit stumped here.

I could just make a "world eater" using BC mining wells, but that just seems a little too easy at this point. And I prefer the idea of the whole machine moving through the terrain to devour it instead of just hovering above it.

Scott DTA

Jul 29, 2019
Use the ae planes. Not sure they can be placed facing down, but do work for horizontal movement.

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
The AE planes can be placed facing down, and they do indeed work. But with a 9x9 area of them, I run out of channels even using the advanced smart cables. But I might be able to get enough working if the P2P tunnel trick still works and I can split up the bottom of the mining rig into enough sub networks. I'll have to re evaluate that option. Thanks.

Any other ideas using something other then AE? I would still like to see if it is even possible to do it with terrain smashers/block breakers. Options are optional, but having them does indeed help.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
i'm still trying to figure out how to use funky locomotion. Can't even get the frame slider block to work. So really can only give ideas.

Could you pop down all the pipes. Then put conduit facades on them. Attach frames to the facades. Guess that wouldn't work. Still need at least one conduit in the same square as a facade. Maybe a frame cover?

I will see what I can figure out.

Edit: Couldn't get any of the piping systems I used to connect to frames.

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If you're really determined to not use AE (or want to save on channels without using tons of subnets), you could use the old 1.2.5-style Redpower trick: make your drill head consist of alternating rows of block breakers and closed frames, and have it be able to shift back and forth, so it cuts through a layer of blocks in two steps. It won't run as fast as a solid wall of annihilation planes, of course, and is trickier to engineer, but that's the cost of saving resources.

I haven't played with Funky Locomotion enough to know what happens if a frame pusher (or puller or slider) tries to move another pusher. I know that in RP2, a frame mover (or frame with a panel attached to it) would drag any frames in front of it along with it, but would NOT move if the frame adjacent to the active face of the mover (or the paneled face of the frame) was moved by another mover. If the Funky Locomotion equivalents work the same way, the necessary setup could be relatively simple- just two pushers facing toward each other that are activated whenever the drill moves forward.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
the multipart version of the frames work like their full block versions.
I am not sure. I found I could hook extra utility item transfer nodes to the terrain smashers. Just couldn't get any of the muliparts to connect the smashers to the frame with the item nodes. I finally got frame strips to go on the same side of the block as the smasher was next to. It still wouldn't move the smasher. I can get everything to move. Just not the smasher as well, except on its own.

DeathOfTime

Jul 29, 2019
got it partially worked out.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums...raft/Modded/2014-12-11_071928_zpse3b1948b.png

Open blocks block breakers. ProjectRed framed wires and wires. Vacuum hopper feeding a ender chest. This was all in creative. Kept having problems getting all of the frame to move at once.

Couldn't figure out any way to use Thermal Expansion terrain smashers. I tried everything I could think of and they just wouldn't work for me.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
The AE planes can be placed facing down, and they do indeed work. But with a 9x9 area of them, I run out of channels even using the advanced smart cables. But I might be able to get enough working if the P2P tunnel trick still works and I can split up the bottom of the mining rig into enough sub networks. I'll have to re evaluate that option. Thanks.

No need for any P2P tricks... for 9x9 you have 81 planes which means only 3 sides of a single controller block supplies enough channels. Run out of the controller with a few dense cables and branch off with normal cables as needed (the most symmetrical setup is probably to use 4 sides with 20/21 planes each).

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure. I found I could hook extra utility item transfer nodes to the terrain smashers. Just couldn't get any of the muliparts to connect the smashers to the frame with the item nodes. I finally got frame strips to go on the same side of the block as the smasher was next to. It still wouldn't move the smasher. I can get everything to move. Just not the smasher as well, except on its own.
I'm not sure strips are going to work, I think it has to be covers or hollow covers. And a transfer node is too big to fit into a hollow cover.

But retrieval nodes should indeed work.

mcalpha

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played with Funky Locomotion enough to know what happens if a frame pusher (or puller or slider) tries to move another pusher. I know that in RP2, a frame mover (or frame with a panel attached to it) would drag any frames in front of it along with it, but would NOT move if the frame adjacent to the active face of the mover (or the paneled face of the frame) was moved by another mover. If the Funky Locomotion equivalents work the same way, the necessary setup could be relatively simple- just two pushers facing toward each other that are activated whenever the drill moves forward.

I've had success with a pusher and a puller. The pusher pushes the main machine, and the puller then pulls the pusher (and a few extra frames to connect the redstone clock with the pusher) back into the starting position.

The nice thing about that is that there is no complicated redstone involved, a simple clock from XU on the pusher and a redstone block on the puller are sufficient.

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
Using the frame sliders does not quite work like it did in redpower, but yet, it also does. The main difference is that sliders can only touch each other if they are a pair. So, the cluster that moves your frame in the four primary directions needs to have an open gap between the frame sliders. But this does make one thing easier, you can place your power conduits in the center of your cluster of frame sliders because the open gap still counts if it contains conduits.

Using two frame pushers also works, just as well as what mcalpha suggested. One pusher pushes the frame, the other pushes the first pusher back into place. The main thing I have found is that the pushers need to be supported on two sides when being moved with the frame, otherwise they kinda break. A sample of a two direction caterpiller drive takes up a 5x5 space. Make a second one that is rotated 90 degrees and place it above this and it will be able to move all 4 directions.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/caterpillardrivecore_zpse324505a.jpg

you also add a line of frames that goes either under or over the power source and conduits so that they move with the frame as well.

The 4 axis drive core, using frame sliders isn't all the complex to make. basicly a 5x5 platform where the lower sliders dwell and a 3x3 platform where the upper sliders dwell. The frame sliders are positioned so that they ahve a hollow center which I used to place a power source and a conduit so that all the sliders have power. The lower sliders would normally be directly under the upper sliders, so that they can recieve energy from the power source. But I moved them to their pushed out position so that it is easier too see how it is setup. The frame under the lower sliders is set to interact with the slider, while the one under the upper slider(where the lower ones would normally be) is set to not interact. This lets the upper slider push the lower slider out before the lower slider moves the whole frame over. I don't think facing down is a requirement, that is just how it ended up after some testing.

http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/4-axisdrivecore_zps31be6c8a.jpg

got it partially worked out.

http://i1114.photobucket.com/albums...raft/Modded/2014-12-11_071928_zpse3b1948b.png

Open blocks block breakers. ProjectRed framed wires and wires. Vacuum hopper feeding a ender chest. This was all in creative. Kept having problems getting all of the frame to move at once.

Couldn't figure out any way to use Thermal Expansion terrain smashers. I tried everything I could think of and they just wouldn't work for me.

I'll have to give the open block breakers a try. it might just be the thermal expansion one will not work with the piping available...

Ok, final note: After testing out the open blocks block breaker method, it does indeed work. The block breakers are attached to hollow frame panels, with framed redwire above that and another set of hollow frame panels on top of them. Then a layer of frames, and a hollow space that holds some conduits and 4 vacuum hoppers. Seems to work, not 100% efficient, but works. the block breakers are triggered by a redstone clock, the hoppers collect the items that pop out of the block breakers, and the whole thing is moved by the 6-axis funky locomotion tower.

Word of warning though: Tried automating the movement of the frame sliders. This worked when they were being used, but when I tried raising the platform that way, the whole thing bugged out with a funky locomotion ticking entity crash that seems to be pretty much unrecoverable... Luckily it was in creative so no real harm done. Just be careful how you plan out your drive cores everyone. Until I tried auto cycling the drive core using a constant redstone signal to the reset frame sliders, it moved flawlessly. So, no constant redstone signals going to frame sliders in a caterpillar drive it seems.

Last edited:

Jakalth

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, currently with beta-2 of funky locomotion, this design has a fatal crash problem... So this design is on hold. But by chance, I figured out an elegantly simple alternative to a plunge miner that does not use any currently suggested ideas for how to do it, at least none that I have seen. This design is not a world eater, and is such a simple design that it nearly brings tears to my eyes.

Funky Locomotion + Blood Magic Ritual of Magnetism = beautifully simple, movable, mining system. Building a 7x7 platform and assembling the ritual of magnetism on top of it is easy. And all that is needed are outer columns to support the ritual stones and a single terrain smasher in the north/west corner of the ritual, 1 block up from the stones. It's simple, and reliable. Best of all, when you move the frames, the ritual picks right up where it left off without even a hickup.

The ritual does not mind being moved at all. The design is small and only needs a single axis of movement since the ritual has no vertical limit for it's search area.

Isn't it beautiful? http://i1346.photobucket.com/albums/p685/Jakalth/RitualMiner_zps6efa499a.jpg

Reactions: PhilHibbs