Dumb Modular Powersuit Tricks

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

adjl

Jul 29, 2019
That seems to work. I'm guessing that that would let me switch between the crafting table and the other right-click features of the tool, if I had any installed?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
One dumb trick appears to be building MPS with Gregtech recipes at all. It's hellaciously expensive and power inefficient. :(

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I've been doing exactly this recently and the GregTech recipes actually feel much more comfortable and reasonable than what I was expecting them to be. Getting basic functionality is still expensive but the worst I need to craft is one Iridium Plate and some Chrome. Nothing too huge.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Actually I've been doing exactly this recently and the GregTech recipes actually feel much more comfortable and reasonable than what I was expecting them to be. Getting basic functionality is still expensive but the worst I need to craft is one Iridium Plate and some Chrome. Nothing too huge.

You basically MUST accept slowdown if you want to have power parity with even a lappack and you'd like to have any armor at all. Until you have lolmode iridium and can build good capacitors and force field emitters, anyways. I really don't understand the current balance on the power solutions. Each maxed out middle-tier battery lets you break... 500 blocks? Be still my branch-mining heart!

It's definitely a tough sell when the Ultimate Diamond Drill, Electric Jetpack, Lappack and enchanted armor is so so so much less costly.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently working on a setup where I will use Advanced Plating on my armor combined with an Elite Battery on my Power Tool giving me a grand total weight of 26kg - the exact point before weight penalties hit - and giving me 750kJ for my Power Tool and Shock Absorbers to use exclusively. The Power Tool is fitted with minimum clocked Axe, Shovel, Diamond Pick and Melee Assist. Only the Elite Battery has been particularly difficult to craft, the rest just involves spam-refining Bauxite and if the Advanced Battery wasn't so heavy I wouldn't need the Elite anyway because the Advanced Battery is well up to the task with such modest power draw.

This is at least enough to graduate from the Nano Suit without having to dump tons of Iridium into Quantum Armor. The entry level for MPS is still more generous than the alternatives but you have to prioritise certain modules.

However, yes, to actually get serious endgame performance out of the suit you need Energy Shields and those are expensive as hell.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently working on a setup where I will use Advanced Plating on my armor combined with an Elite Battery on my Power Tool giving me a grand total weight of 26kg - the exact point before weight penalties hit - and giving me 750kJ for my Power Tool and Shock Absorbers to use exclusively. The Power Tool is fitted with minimum clocked Axe, Shovel, Diamond Pick and Melee Assist. Only the Elite Battery has been particularly difficult to craft, the rest just involves spam-refining Bauxite and if the Advanced Battery wasn't so heavy I wouldn't need the Elite anyway because the Advanced Battery is well up to the task with such modest power draw.

This is at least enough to graduate from the Nano Suit without having to dump tons of Iridium into Quantum Armor. The entry level for MPS is still more generous than the alternatives but you have to prioritise certain modules.

However, yes, to actually get serious endgame performance out of the suit you need Energy Shields and those are expensive as hell.

If you have a reasonable supply of iridium plates, then the discussion disappears. An Elite battery is crazy-better than an Advanced one.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
The point is, that setup only needs one. :)

Yeah. Well my point was that the balance concerns between the different batteries are intense. You only need 2 elite batteries to power flight. By the way, I am not sure how you could possibly leave out sprint assist and possibly jump assist.

Although it IS nice to get my fast flight back on my new server. I'm going to build a kinetic generator tonight and see if that helps.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
My immediate aim is to have a suit that can trump the Nano Suit, then upgrade immediately. This means that as a priority it must match and/or exceed the Nano Suit's abilities. Anything it adds on top of that is gravy. As soon as I have that functionality nailed - and the hard part is the advanced plating actually - then I can move on to upgrading on top of that.

Basically I'm just trying to transition out of IC2's armor ASAP. :)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
My immediate aim is to have a suit that can trump the Nano Suit, then upgrade immediately. This means that as a priority it must match and/or exceed the Nano Suit's abilities. Anything it adds on top of that is gravy. As soon as I have that functionality nailed - and the hard part is the advanced plating actually - then I can move on to upgrading on top of that.

Basically I'm just trying to transition out of IC2's armor ASAP. :)

I think the big question will be, "How good are these generators?" If the kinetic generator can keep even with me branch mining on a 50% overclocked pickaxe tool and give me good longevity running around, that'd be a good outcome. Cuz like.. diamond drills are pretty good and last a LONG time with just a normal lappack. And I refuse to live life without perma-Haste. :)

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. Well my point was that the balance concerns between the different batteries are intense. You only need 2 elite batteries to power flight. By the way, I am not sure how you could possibly leave out sprint assist and possibly jump assist.

Although it IS nice to get my fast flight back on my new server. I'm going to build a kinetic generator tonight and see if that helps.
Speaking of which, a few editions ago I found a cool trick, which has likely been patched by now.
It requires a kinetic generator and a warp module on your tool. I had a maxed out kinetic generator and a warp thingy. Assuming I didn't end up in water, I could warp anywhere for free, as the warp only cost 1kJ, and I got that back when I landed at my destination. Even tested going less then five blocks and IIRC I still got the 1kJ back, which is why I think it'd be patched by now.
I think the big question will be, "How good are these generators?" If the kinetic generator can keep even with me branch mining on a 50% overclocked pickaxe tool and give me good longevity running around, that'd be a good outcome. Cuz like.. diamond drills are pretty good and last a LONG time with just a normal lappack. And I refuse to live life without perma-Haste. :)
You know the Modular Power suit can work with your IC2 Diamond Drill and your UE Powered Tools(such as the Laser Designator or any UE powered thingy), right?

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
When I was building maps in Creative I abused the opportunity to produce an optimal Power Suit. It's perfectly possible to get a monster of a suit with no speed penalty but you have to exclusively use Energy Shields and Elite Batteries to achieve this. I was able to pack roughly 10MJ onto the suit and a Kinetic Generator, and provided you didn't abuse your Plasma Cannon the suit maintained 99% power levels easily.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
When I was building maps in Creative I abused the opportunity to produce an optimal Power Suit. It's perfectly possible to get a monster of a suit with no speed penalty but you have to exclusively use Energy Shields and Elite Batteries to achieve this.

See my videos earlier in the thread. In IC2 mode it's not only possible, it's easy.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking of which, a few editions ago I found a cool trick, which has likely been patched by now.
It requires a kinetic generator and a warp module on your tool. I had a maxed out kinetic generator and a warp thingy. Assuming I didn't end up in water, I could warp anywhere for free, as the warp only cost 1kJ, and I got that back when I landed at my destination. Even tested going less then five blocks and IIRC I still got the 1kJ back, which is why I think it'd be patched by now.

You know the Modular Power suit can work with your IC2 Diamond Drill and your UE Powered Tools(such as the Laser Designator or any UE powered thingy), right?

Sure doesn't with mine. Maybe I need to upgrade to 3.1?

Reactions: Guswut

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It works on the Diamond Drill, but not the Advanced Diamond Drill of Gravisuit fame, because the ADD is tier 2, which means it can't charge off a tier 1 suit. :(

Huh. I'm surprised you didn't just lol-tier9001 it. :) Even the LV capacitor is like more expensive than a regular drill! In GT mode the suit is actually above the steel tier!

MachineMuse

Jul 29, 2019
Huh. I'm surprised you didn't just lol-tier9001 it. :) Even the LV capacitor is like more expensive than a regular drill! In GT mode the suit is actually above the steel tier!
The reason is because tier limits where you can charge it. I decided that having it able to charge in a batbox was more important. Now that we're moving into 1.5, the IC2 api will have itemstack-sensitive versions of all their item functions, so when I'm going through and reworking everything for 1.5, I can mix it up and have it depend on the tier of battery installed for example.