Downside of chunk loaders

EricBuist

Hi,

I am definitely overloaded with tons of problems each and every time I try to play the game. Almost one time over two, I arrive into my base and the AE system is down. I just cannot have a sustained power supply, even though I set up a steam boiler similar to what Direwolf20 used in his Let's Play series. The steam boiler works, but the AE system runs down, because the disk in the steam turbine wears out or something else goes wrong.

The main issue here is that I have a server running 24/7 and chunk loaders in my base. I need the chunk loader for the things to run while I am away in other dimensions or far from the base, but having the power running all the times even when nobody is logged in is starting to be an issue. I just cannot keep up with the overhead it causes.

Yes, I thought about a nuclear reactor, but that's way way way too much work, and by the time I will leave the server running, it will have run off uranium and will be down as well. If FTB Monster had Advanced Solar Panels, I could get off with an array of Tier 2 or 3 advanced solar panels that would produce energy forever. With just compact solars, it would literally take a TONS of resources to get a compact HV panel that would probably be enough to sustain the ME Controller.

Are there some intelligent chunk loaders that would turn off when nobody is logged in, or will I have to remove all the chunk loaders before logging out, and put them back up when logging in. If I am to this point, I will be better off turning off the server, but then my friend will not be able to log in anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using chicken chunks chunk loaders, you can set them in the config to turn off a certain amount of time after their owner goes offline.

Reactions: Padfoote

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Hi,

I am definitely overloaded with tons of problems each and every time I try to play the game. Almost one time over two, I arrive into my base and the AE system is down. I just cannot have a sustained power supply, even though I set up a steam boiler similar to what Direwolf20 used in his Let's Play series. The steam boiler works, but the AE system runs down, because the disk in the steam turbine wears out or something else goes wrong.

The main issue here is that I have a server running 24/7 and chunk loaders in my base. I need the chunk loader for the things to run while I am away in other dimensions or far from the base, but having the power running all the times even when nobody is logged in is starting to be an issue. I just cannot keep up with the overhead it causes.

Yes, I thought about a nuclear reactor, but that's way way way too much work, and by the time I will leave the server running, it will have run off uranium and will be down as well. If FTB Monster had Advanced Solar Panels, I could get off with an array of Tier 2 or 3 advanced solar panels that would produce energy forever. With just compact solars, it would literally take a TONS of resources to get a compact HV panel that would probably be enough to sustain the ME Controller.

Are there some intelligent chunk loaders that would turn off when nobody is logged in, or will I have to remove all the chunk loaders before logging out, and put them back up when logging in. If I am to this point, I will be better off turning off the server, but then my friend will not be able to log in anymore.

Thanks for any help.
Well, setting up sustainable power sources are not really that hard tbh. You are well on your way with the boiler+turbines. Why not automate the ME network to replace the turbine blades etc?

If you have liquid fuels(such as ethanol or creosote) you can also just pump them into the Semifluid Generator for really easy EU.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
that would be as simple as putting a turbine blade pattern in the MAC, and putting a precision export bus set to craft on the turbine block right?

Omegatron

Mar 29, 2013
England
I thought you couldn't automate putting the turbine blade in the turbine, did that change? If it didn't, you could use some of the steam from the boiler to power steam dynamos and use those to power your AE system.

Racemol

Jul 29, 2019
For chunkloaders: Railcraft has the personal anchors, they only work when you are online. Depending on the config settings, you might need to fuel them with enderpearls.

Besides this easy fix, you might want to work on your power system. There are a lot of ways to create a self sustaining power system. You can work on automating the replacement of the steam turbine rotor or just switch to steam dynamo's who do not need maintenance. Check how much MJ your AE controller is using and multiply that by 10. That's the amount of RF you need to generate. Each steam dynamo can generate 80RF/t.

The easy way is to make a separate power system for your AE system. That way you can fine-tune the amount of power you need to generate and not get drained by some machine you didn't expect.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
I thought you couldn't automate putting the turbine blade in the turbine, did that change?
i strongly doubt it did.

but why bother with RC's steam turbines anyway? it's not like people use EU these day *trollface*

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
i strongly doubt it did.

but why bother with RC's steam turbines anyway? it's not like people use EU these day *trollface*

Umm DUH! STORE your EU and bam your problem is now solved! To calculate your storage needs just multiples by the following X*20*60*60*Y=total storage

X= the eu/t your using
Y= the number of hours you need to sustain the figure

Then to be safe round to the nearest next storage unit, from the sound of it your probably going to need by the MFSUs full.