Windows .exe Does my modpack have to be exactly the same as the servers for me to join it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlitterCloudchaser

Jul 29, 2019
Does my modpack have to be exactly the same as the servers for me to join it?

I don't really like the built-in minimap, and I want to use Rei's Minimap in place of it. If I use that will I still be able to join servers? I'm confused.

Woodopriest

Jul 29, 2019
Hi

You can remove mods like minimaps and such, or add them. as long as you have the correct version of the server mods and the configs , you should be fine :-D
you can even add armorhud mods and similar if you want as well.

Many mods can be used client side only.

Hope this helps
Sincerly Woodopriest

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
This is how it works. You have two things, Client and Server

The client is you. More specifically the client is what you play your game on.
The server is a separate entity that hosts an environment for the client.

In SSP (Survival Single Player) you launch your own private, local hosted server, though it's not available to be played by anyone but your client unless you open it to LAN to accept other local clients.
In SMP, you execute a server protocol that generates and maintains a world based on the mods you give it. You need to have the same files as the server on your client to enter the environment.

In answer to your question, yes and no.
Yes, you need exactly the same mods on your client that the server has.
No, you can have as many mods as possible on your client as you want however what mods you have on the client that the server doesn't have won't exist on the server. Also, client-side mods such as the minimap, ArmorStatusHUD or Optifine, which only effects you client-side, doesn't need to be present on the server to be used.

Also it would help if your config files matched the config files on your server.

Hope this helps.

PS; love your username and picture~.

Reactions: Woodopriest
Status
Not open for further replies.