Does Carts/Golems work on empty chunk loaded server?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
I play on a FTB ultimate serve with my friends and yesterday i've built a HP steam boiler running on charcoal, a steve cart's cart cutting wood that gets cooked and goes to a barrel with a golem filling an enderchest that supply the boiler. I left the server and on the other day the boiler was cold(it was 500º), the barrel with 100 packs of charcoal, the enderchest empty and the golem crazy trying to fill the ender chest. So i made a few tests and when there isn't anyone on the server neither the golem or the cart work. I'm using spot loaders on all the chunks.
Is there anyway to get them working?

Sorry for bad english I'm Brasilian

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
The only explaination i could think up for this is that mobs dont move when there isn;t a player in a certain range. However i am pretty sure that golems and carts dont use this rule and should just work properly. Are you sure that all blocks are chunkloaded? If the golem moves to even a single unloaded block it will unload and stop working. A other option that might be that the golem is not fast enough? Then again you mentioned it was at 500 degrees. I never had a problem with my carts stopping, but i did had trouble with my trees not growing occasionally when i wasn't around. If you cant get things working in the end, all i can say is: switch to AE storage and use a export bus on your enderchest. And for the cart you can replace with MFR harvesters. I have been using that before our server resetted and it worked without problems.. Granted the occasional tree not growing problem. But thats just minor as i made a massive storage to get through the night if it happend (my storage was accually 3 days worth of fuel, biofuel and planks for 9 boilers.. but its enough for a night as it stores more then a night)

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
The server might be set up to only chunk load when the player is online.

Eta it's my experience that this (somehow) causes some things to load but not others. I had a similar experience, and we now stop our server when we're not playing. Sorry for the vague explanation but I haven't done any troubleshooting. I just want to play the game :D

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
This reminds me that i once heard something about a bug from a combination of chunkloaders, railcraft multiblocks and chunkborders. I dont know the details about it so dont hold me on it. Im just trying to trow in possibilities to try to help.. Eiter way the problem was that when railcraft multiblocks are near chunk borders that they can sometimes lose there multiblock..ness.. Causing them to reset. With tanks this empties them. And with boilers it resets there heat. Combining that with Skirty's point that some servers only chunkload when the player is online.. The two can be combined with your boiler resetting and nothing happening cause the chunk unloads.

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
The golem was fast enough even with the boiler cold but i changed to a sorting machine under it.
I'll see the MFR harvester but for now i'm using peat from 4 peat bogs.

Thank you for the help,

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Entities won't do anything if no player has been online in the last 60 seconds, regardless of chunk loading. Blame Notch (or possibly cpw/lex for not changing it)

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
Entities won't do anything if no player has been online in the last 60 seconds, regardless of chunk loading. Blame Notch (or possibly cpw/lex for not changing it)

Am I reading you wrong? I have golems that maintain every aspect of my main base, delivering juice, honey, combs, oily/refined propolis and the like all over my base, well basically the movement of any resource to production/processing lines for my Bees, Biomass production and fuel stations (squeezers supplementing biomass production) for a total of 10 max boilers and since my systems have yet to go cold in my absence over night or through a weekend I can only assume the golem entities are doing something or is my perception of what is going on at the base horribly wrong? The only time the system is upset is when a golem goes derpy and just randomly stops doing anything regardless of if I'm online or not and the queues will dry up for some areas until I beat them with a stick or throw them against a random wall.

in total they:
maintain an inventory of wood for the carpenter to mass produce impregnated sticks
maintain a stable inventory of string for the impregnated frame fabricator
maintain an inventory of propolis (oily/refined) in two seperate squeezers which in turn keep respected tanks full
move combs from a central processing station (diamond chest) to centrifuges/squeezers at my main bee line (non honey production)
move combs from a storage facility to a line of centrifuges at my honey production

Other random not nearly as important automation tasks...

My tanks never go dry, oil, fuel, biomass or biofuel, my frames never run out (unless that stubborn bastard goes all union on me), and my honey/juice is moved to respected processes without a hitch.. nothing is frozen in my absence... as my boilers have yet to fail or tanks not be full (its common for me to not be around for 12-18 hours at a time and with 3 boilers each fuel/biofuel my tanks would noticibly take hits (or at the very least the stocks of propolis at the squeezers)...

If golems aren't moving in my absence, how are all my systems staying productive?

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
The entinies not moving most likely only applies to vanilla mobs.. Youknow.. Zombies and stuff.. Golems are a thing on there own and my own golems work well enough on a empty server. The only reason i could see a golem stopping with working is if he moves to a unloaded chunk, has a pathing fail and ends up somewhere he cant come out off, or has a mind derp and tries to do something impossible and just wont give up on it.. Also.. Watch out with portals, they cant walk into them and end up who knows where. Had that happen once and my base overflowed. Since the golem in question was in charge of managing my quarry output

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
Never mind, I see it was fixed at some point so that chunk loaders will work the same as players (stopping the 60-second timer)

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
Do anyone know how many MFR harvesters and planter i'll to maintain a max size HP boiler?

KyoNeko66

Jul 29, 2019
Do anyone know how many MFR harvesters and planter i'll to maintain a max size HP boiler?

depending on the version of MFR you use. In the ultimate 1.0.1 version, i used 40 of both as they where slow and only worked in a 3x3. But i had 3 boilers running on planks that came from a sawmill and i just had a small overflow on wood. So for one boiler that would be about 14.

If your planning to fuel it with biofuel it will be a whole lot easyer, asuming you get the mulch/compost/fertalizer from somewhere else then from the apples of your farm. I would say you can probly get away with 3 or 4. Maybe even less, i always go abit overkill to make sure everythign keeps working. If you want to also get the mulch out of the farms apples.. You would need a whole lot more, somewhere more towards the 15.

If you use the ultimate 1.0.2 version you can probly get away with lot less as they harvest much quicker, and are upgradeable. the only problem with upgrades is that it can take a while to notice if a tree has grown wich can decrease the output. But making a 25x25 farm with 4 harvesters will solve many problems. a 25x25 farm has nearly as much blocks in it as 70 3x3 farms, altough ther eis the small problem with the delay before harvesting. Im currently building a 25x25 on the 1.0.2 server i play on and it can take several minuts for it to see a tree.. but when it sees it.. Its gone before you can blink.. I might invest in more harvesters to help finding the trees faster.

EDIT: updated some of my fail math. 40 diveded by 3 is not 7