Do you like to hide your machinery behind the scenes?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I love having exposes machinery and wires. It makes me feel like my house is one big machine and I'm the mad scientist behind it. Also, there's something soothing about just watching items zip by in pipes.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing as this could have been satisfied as a poll, and no real discussion is happening in an otherwise 'alright' topic, I'll just tell a story or two about this in between posts.

A great tentacled beast is nice indeed. I like to have several of them scattered along my bases, even if they are doing something as arbitrary as making TNT. I give it a little room and everything. Once though, I had a structure with only one purpose; to house teleporters. I also wanted it to be fully independent, as I'd have to clone it across areas of my world. So I hid all the power generation. It was neat, clean, tidy, and secure. No chance of terrorists messing with the power supply.

And it was the greatest transport hub ever, but was also horrible to build, so I never made another one. The end.

Reactions: RedBoss

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I would say that there is a great deal of discussion, people expressing their opinions quite happily. What there isn't is argument. People are aware that its a matter of personal preference, so don't try to convince others of their viewpoint.

On topic, I usually have my main "access" room, which is clean and tidy, wires and pipes hidden, etc. And processing/generation, etc. is done elsewhere.

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't mean I want to persuasive articles, I meant I kinda wanted to read stories about your machine that you hid or did not hide.

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
I hide my wiring but not my machines because I kind of need to use them. Wiring doesn't go with my building style either.

GPuzzle

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry.

I suppose the reason I make my base look as haphazard as possible with water flowing everywhere and machines strewn about reflects my actual organization patterns in real life. My room is a complete mess. My backpack is a complete mess. My mind is a complete mess. My hair is a complete mess. My hair product cabinet is a complete mess. But if I ever need a machine or a paper or a pair of pants or a bobby pin or a certain hairspray or conditioner or dye for my friend, I know EXACTLY where I last left it. I never really saw the usefulness of organizing things. I don't care how other people judge me on it, and I'm not a super forgetful person like youtubers or a lot of people in general. I always have that thought of where I last left something, back in the corner of my mind. If I need a shirt or pants, I don't use my closet most of the time. I just dig around exactly where I left it, iron it, and get some bitches female or male monogamous companions.
Sometimes, there are public visits I go with my cousin to there. I use them to get inspiration to my drawings/bases.
My room is a mess, but I can't find anything if someone tides it up.

QKninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hide everything. If I can't hide it, I'll think about the room design, maybe sleep on it, and come back when Ifigure out how to hide it. I generally keep machines visible, especially if they're not automated and I want them available for odd tasks. Ore-processing and other machines I generally don't need to access get hidden though. I understand the appeal to have wires and conduits running everywhere, but I prefer the engineering challenge of not having any of the components visible, just a sleek machine room where everything looks good and works behinds the scenes.

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
Hide most of it. If I can't hide something, I re-design it if I fell like doing it, otherwise I just let it be there until I come up with a better solution

iconmaster

Jul 29, 2019
woJP4cW.png

Nope.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
I don't want to, but I always accidentally build rooms too small and accidentally put all my machines close to a wall. Honest.

rymmie1981

Jul 29, 2019
I make freaking factories!!! I want them to look like freaking factories!!!

But really, I like the idea of having all my pipes and wires going everywhere. It always reminds me of how far I've come since spawning with nothing but a book about how to make a smeltery and patterns.

Reactions: SpitefulFox