Do You Ever Cheat?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
Some posts in this thread:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386456299.370853.jpg

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I import a pre built mansion and landscaping.
I set mob griefing to false.
I then give my self a barrel of every item in the game and a tank of XP.
I give myself fully fitted maxed out modular armor.

After about 5 mins I close the game, and then rant on the forums about how there is no challenge in MC. :p

you might like this mod in regards to building your mansion in every world you play in
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...mod-v105-aoe-inspired-construction-bug-fixes/

it still allows you to import your builds, but requires some work to set it up

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
Morph is a part of my favored mod pack. I really rely on morph way too much. My first goal is usually kill a bat. then later in the game, I usually stay morphed as a blaze unless it's raining. I sometimes feel like it's a little bit cheaty, but it's part of the modpack, so it's not cheating...right? What do you guys think, is morph flying too cheaty for you?

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
The way I see it, the standard for providing the ability to have flight shouldn't be set by the gravichestplate. Its not like flying helps you get all the resources or power all the 36HP boilers. As someone who likes building a lot, I find flying really useful because I can build higher structures more quickly. I would place a lot of value in something that lets you get early creative flight in a survival game (although morph doesn't appeal to me for various unimportant reasons).

I sympathise with the mod authors though, like Azanor, Machinemuse and the author of gravisuite who put their flying abilities behind a large chunk of gameplay. That is the way they want their mods to work and given the types of mods they are, they are better for it. I don't know if a mod that adds cheap or free creative flight into survival mode would be right for a mod pack like FTB or Resonant Rise but I would like it. (Kind of like how the Chisel mod doesn't force you to mine stacks and stacks of rare materials and sink materials into tools just to get some pretty blocks).

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
Morph is a part of my favored mod pack. I really rely on morph way too much. My first goal is usually kill a bat. then later in the game, I usually stay morphed as a blaze unless it's raining. I sometimes feel like it's a little bit cheaty, but it's part of the modpack, so it's not cheating...right? What do you guys think, is morph flying too cheaty for you?

Morph is a great mod. But mob abbilities (which can be turned of in config) is a bit far imo. For me anyway.
And yes in case people didn't realise, my previous post was just a bit of sarcastic fun.
But. And it's an important but, if your on a single player world then you make your own rules. If your getting fun from it and it's not spoiling your game then more power to you.

For me though having Mob abbilities is the same as giving myself a jet pack, but without the power requirements to operate it. Or giving myself a set of flame proof armor. When I reach that part of the tech tree in my game I would feel I was missing out on a well earned achievement. But that's me.
Also worth mentioning, without mob abbilities enabled the mod is pretty pointless in single player. Unless you play in F5 mode I guess. So the abbilities are a huge part of the fun.

People have said previously that as soon as you put any mod into MC there is someone out there who will concider it cheating. You have to make your own standards and rules.
The only time I would say someone was really cheating is if they then go and break the rules they set for themselves.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
in my opinion Morph is unbalanced. I know ichun tried making the bat morph more difficult by it taking more hunger when morphed, but that's not really the way to do it in my opinion.
I'd rather see it when you're morphed into another entity, you'll take on the full morph instead of just the shape and abilities. meaning when you're a bat for example, your HP will be the same of a bat. your armor will not do anything as bats can't wear armor. you're alot not able to use any tools as bats don't have hands or arms to actually hold tools.

now if you were for example morphed into a zombie... a zombie can wear armor and can use tools, so you'd be able to morph and do the things you normally can. same goes for a skeleton. but a spider on the other hand can not wear armor or use tools...

so this would make it so you can morph into a bat and use it for flying, but you'll have low HP, can't wear armor or use tools, so if you were to get hit by a mob there's a good chance it'd 1hit KO you

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You can ask Dave but even with op I prefer to keep is as honest as possible even if bugs eat my stuff or a roll back destroyed hours of work I would rather in most cases just do it all again then to cheat stuff in or go creative. The game is not overly challenging as it stands so I just see the set backs as some unplanned challenges and some times there is a silver lining as I might find a way to do something better when I'm forced to redo it.

Thunderz8olt

Jul 29, 2019
That's a pretty exteme position. I'm assuming you sleep in R/L and skip the night, right ? So, why is something that's acceptable in R/L not acceptable in MC ?

As for the "challenge" of not using a bed, that's laughable. Just stay indoors and/or keep mining. I seriously don't understand the bed hate.
I use the bed to set my spawn point. I dont usually use it to sleep past the night, I just mine at night usually.

Reactions: PierceSG

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with early-game flight is it trivializes the Nether. Then again, getting an unlucky Nether portal (without flight) can be overly punishing.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
The problem with early-game flight is it trivializes the Nether. Then again, getting an unlucky Nether portal (without flight) can be overly punishing.

Spawned in the air over a lava lake? Just bring cobble problem is solved. Might die a few times to ghasts but once your boxed up and you can bridge to land safely. So I really don't feel unlucky nether spawns as punishing without flight. Just a little time consuming.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Spawned in the air over a lava lake? Just bring cobble problem is solved. Might die a few times to ghasts but once your boxed up and you can bridge to land safely. So I really don't feel unlucky nether spawns as punishing without flight. Just a little time consuming.
Spawning with lava drenching your portal?

hutchkc

Jul 29, 2019
I cheat in the Thaumonomican (sp?) as I hate the way the research was prior to 1.6 and feel it was a waste of my time. The changes in 1.6 are good and I feel is fair so haven't done it.

I play with my dad and had to enable keep inventory and disable mob griefing for my sanity. I'd log on and spend a hour or so each night filling in creeper holes at/near our base. I can attest that after you've made 30 full sets of MPS armor in a week it gets old fast. I'd get a call at lunch saying when you get home I need new armor pretty much daily, even though the night before I made like 5 complete sets and charged them up.

Luke Gevaerts

Jul 29, 2019
Then again, getting an unlucky Nether portal (without flight) can be overly punishing.

Not if you remember to bring a few stacks of Gravel or Sand alongside the token few stacks of Cobblestone. Lava ceases to be a problem when you can path through it from a safe distance by making gravity work for you. Sure, it's a lot slower than flight - but also far cheaper, which counts during early game.

As for the OP - assuming test worlds don't count, not really. That said, I start my worlds on Peaceful and only switch to Easy or higher once I need mobs for more than just their drops (which I take care of with the Peaceful Table until then). I enjoy mobs when I'm fighting them purely for the sake of fighting them, like in the Twilight Forest; but when I'm working on something, all they do is annoy me and make said something take twice as long to complete - which is something I can do without. I know there are plenty of people out there who think that playing on Peaceful constitutes cheating - so if you're one of them (which, for the record, I'm not saying you are), then yes, I do.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Not if you remember to bring a few stacks of Gravel or Sand alongside the token few stacks of Cobblestone. Lava ceases to be a problem when you can path through it from a safe distance by making gravity work for you. Sure, it's a lot slower than flight - but also far cheaper, which counts during early game.
Good tip, I wonder why I didn't do that. :/

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Spawning with lava drenching your portal?

Lava takes time to get to you... Cobble and box it up or if you have to flee just Cobble your way back and you guest it box it up. You should ALWAYS bring a few stacks of cobble, flint and steel, and some spare obsidian your first visit to the nether. If you don't it is your own fault your trapped.

Worst case abandon your portal and make a new one somewhere else.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed about the Nether, yes, and it should be challenging.

Gm24Ncy.jpg

Early-game flight mostly ruins the experience/challenge/ominousness/makes Boromir look silly.