Do Mystcraft Ages lag?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

magma11

Jul 29, 2019
After looking over quite a many servers, I noticed a trend, they (almost) all have mystcraft books banned. So, do mystcraft ages lag servers because, that was one of the huge things that pulled me into FTB.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
No, not directly. It's because players have a tendency to spam Ages and needlessly inflate the HD space of the server worlds, and often run into the age eating corruptions. Those corruptions DO cause lag inducing amounts of block updates.

magma11

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, so the corruption elements are what lag servers, NOT the age itself? (off-topic): Can you configure what symbols are allowed to be used on a mystcraft age to make sure your server doesnt get corruption?

QueWhat

Jul 29, 2019
Magma, most servers ban the crafting of descriptive books and other mystcraft items to keep players from creating their own ages. Why? Because some players needlessly (like SilvasRuin said) will create ridiculous amounts of ages (and remember, each age is a whole new world) which take up space on server hard drives. Even though servers ban the creation of ages most have staff willing to create ages for their players upon request (ask a server's staff for clarification), this allows admins to control the number of ages.

Corruption is actually called instability and is a normal part of Mystcraft. One of the things that can occur to ages suffering from instability is block decay, this can cause lag. For this reason many servers have instability disabled via config. See this link for more info:

http://binarymage.com/wiki/doku.php?id=ages:instability

I hope I helped. :)

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
...Can you configure what symbols are allowed to be used on a mystcraft age to make sure your server doesnt get corruption?...
From my understanding a wrong combination of symbols induces instability, NOT specific symbols.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
From my understanding a wrong combination of symbols induces instability, NOT specific symbols.
There are a few specific symbols that create instability (dense ores and accelerated). It also happens when symbols are overloaded (too many biomes for the controllers, etc.), or when the book has to add a major symbol for generation (biomes, controllers, lighting, etc.).

magma11

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you all for your responses. I guess mystcraft has updated a bit since I last played, thanks again.