Distributing Items Evenly Without Overflow

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

I am trying to distribute items evenly without overflow.

I have a lot of excess logs and I wish to turn them into charcoal via induction furnace. I know I can use AE export busses to keep them stocked properly but it's rather expensive. I could also use golems but that is rather expensive as well.

I was hoping to figure out something to do this, I used to use RP2 but since that is gone it's not an option.

The only requirement is that it's easily expandable and is not extremely resource expensive. Otherwise I might just have to use a whole bunch of export busses =[.

PoisonWolf

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all,

I am trying to distribute items evenly without overflow.

I have a lot of excess logs and I wish to turn them into charcoal via induction furnace. I know I can use AE export busses to keep them stocked properly but it's rather expensive. I could also use golems but that is rather expensive as well.

I was hoping to figure out something to do this, I used to use RP2 but since that is gone it's not an option.

The only requirement is that it's easily expandable and is not extremely resource expensive. Otherwise I might just have to use a whole bunch of export busses =[.

Diamond pipes? For example, put 1 log in one color and another in another color. It would split it 50:50 to each side. Is this what you're asking for?

Another round about way of doing this is to push the logs into barrels, then have routers pull it out and eject into an adjacent router. The adjacent router inserts into a specific slot, etc.

Not really sure what you're trying to do....so more info would be good.

There's also filters and pneumatic tubes which are smart about not having overflow....

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't see golems as expensive, as thaumcraft in general isn't really expensive when you reach midgame, which you obviously have if you have that kind of production.

Overflow may always be a problem, so I suggest using vanilla hoppers as a buffer. A T-intersection should split items about 50/50, so you could always use that that to your advantage.

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Well I don't have access to factorization (disabled) and logistics pipes either.. =[ Any other suggestions?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Why get complicated? Hopper minecarts can do this. It will fill up one machine before the next, but it sounds like for your application that won't be a problem.

xjjon

Jul 29, 2019
Why get complicated? Hopper minecarts can do this. It will fill up one machine before the next, but it sounds like for your application that won't be a problem.

Er, looks cool I guess but it's not really space efficient?

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, the investment into AE counterparts is never a bad investment. Though it depends on how quickly you're getting quartz. Plan your projects around the rate to which you gain resources as well. I expend a large amount of AE resources per project, then take a breather period. In this breather period I spend time furnishing the project (i.e. theme, etc.) and monitoring its processes, determining points of inefficiency, etc. During that time my quarry has time to rebuild my resource stockpile.

That is to say, of course that you are using a quarry. If you mine by hand, your resource management issues might be a bit greater. AE only serves to increase efficiency as well as accessibility, since all your crap is located in one place, accessible from anywhere your AE cables go.

A final solution would be to have a router, fed by an export bus, connected to your array of whatevers.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
You could also use item routers and conveyors from Minefactory Reloaded. They work pretty well for evenly distributing items. If you place an item router on top of the block you need to fill, and conveyor belts on top of that, the item routers will only pull items off the conveyor belts if there is room in the inventory. I am using this trick to evenly split fertilizer across 4 farms.

The main input router receives the fertilizer and splits it going down two different belts (one left and one right). Then, it goes into the top of the next router that has 2 routes--One is down into the MFR fertilizer, and the second is out the back and on to the next item router. The second item router for the farm sits under the conveyor, and will only pull in fertilizer if there is space below. If not, it will leave it on the conveyor which deposits all overflow into an item collector to deposit into a chest. (which can then be pulled back into the AE network or whatever else.)

This isn't exactly space saving, but works very well for the spread out 9x9 farms.

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
Er, looks cool I guess but it's not really space efficient?

You think so?

2013-07-29_01.45.55.png

This was kind of ad-hoc, but aside from the repeater-based timer (which could undoubtedly be improved) it seems reasonably space-efficient for what it's doing. The carts pause under the diamond chest on the left, then get sent around the loop where they deposit one log each in the hoppers. The two carts are separated enough that they don't run into each other, but you could always just use one and take the throughput hit if you're concerned about collision. Extending it isn't hard, although you do have to be mindful of how far a cart can travel on minimal boosting.

It's not clear here, but the hoppers underneath the induction furnaces funnel all the charcoal to another diamond chest, which could easily be input to your AE network, if you want.

Hoppers are only 5 iron and 8 planks each, so I personally don't think they're very expensive compared to the costs of the furnaces.

The two carts can keep up with the four induction furnaces at around 60%+ heat once they reach equilibrium; this is not a high throughput method, but it's relatively cheap, and you don't have to worry about items scattering in the world in an overflow condition.

Edit: There does seem to be a state where eventually the carts aren't taking in enough from the diamond chest when they pause, so there are issues. But the idea isn't completely silly.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one that just uses pipes to feed rows of machines:
ebNPkNn.png

This is simple, cheap and effective. If you are sending different items (for example to centrifuges) I'd recommend using hoppers/chutes between pipe and machine.

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one that just uses pipes to feed rows of machines:

This is simple, cheap and effective. If you are sending different items (for example to centrifuges) I'd recommend using hoppers/chutes between pipe and machine.

I do things similar to that myself, but I got the impression that the OP didn't want to just void excess, since there was concern about overflow.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
I do things similar to that m.yself, but I got the impression that the OP didn't want to just void excess, since there was concern about overflow.

Measure the speed of induction furnace and adjust input speed and number of them to it. For example taking one log every 0,5 s (autarchic gate with one energy pulse setup) is consumed by 8 powered furnaces (each needs 80 ticks to process one log)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
All you'll have to do is keep adding extra furnaces until there is no chance of overflow. All depends out fast you pump the wood into the pipes vs how fast you can process. instead of the void pipe, the pipes could be set to loop back to your storage but I'd highly doubt you'll get anything going down that route.