Distillation Tower

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Czarified

Jul 29, 2019
So I was browsing through nei last week looking for a way to power my boiler. I'm using the Ultimate Pack and I noticed the GT Distillation Tower. My first intention was to use this for diesel generation. Later, to my disappointment, a fellow server member pointed out that diesel and fuel have the same Heat generation capacity. I was shocked to find this out. Why is diesel in the game if it's exactly the same as fuel? And why make the distillation tower for diesel when you can just make fuel from a regular refinery and put it in cells? What's the advantages of the Distillation Tower, and is it actually useful for anything?

It all seems kinda silly to me and I've already made the machine head and casing structure to go along with it. Kinda feels like a giant waste of materials, to be honest.

Harros

Jul 29, 2019
My thoughts are that it was intended for sole use with the diesel generator from Gregtech but with buildcraft fuel thrown Into the mix it is kinda a waste to use the diesel but it could create a new challenge use diesel instead of buildcraft fuel.

Czarified

Jul 29, 2019
i think i saw a thread on here about using it for biodiesel. is that still a viable method for profit?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
i think i saw a thread on here about using it for biodiesel. is that still a viable method for profit?
Yup it's 2 biomass : 1 biofuel. Blazing fast as well. And you can have several heads on the tower.

It doesn't come cheap though.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
The distillation tower is more efficient for turning biomass to biofuel. It converts at a 2:1 ratio instead of the 10:3 ratio a still gives.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Why is diesel in the game if it's exactly the same as fuel? And why make the distillation tower for diesel when you can just make fuel from a regular refinery and put it in cells? What's the advantages of the Distillation Tower, and is it actually useful for anything?

"Diesel Cells" is what GregTech calls Buildcraft fuel inside tin cells. It is not in fact a separate liquid.

Just like "Biodiesel Cells" is what GregTech calls Forestry biofuel inside tin cells. It is also not a separate liquid.

Also, if you mouse over the distillation tower in newer GregTech versions, it shows a description of "Like a refinery, but with byproducts". There's your reason to use it. (Also because the current recipe for biofuel is completely overpowered since Greg balanced for his own diesel generator's output which is really really low for biofuel. As a result you get a super high output conversion that's essentially free of cost and takes only seconds for whole stacks to complete.)

Reactions: JasonZZ

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually the byproducts that I'm interested in. You can also adulterate the diesel cells into nitro-diesel. It adds 16k eu for not much cost, so it is worth it. I'm working towards this at the moment. Just finished building the grinder and blast furnace (almost all reinforced now). For the amount of chrome I will need for the distillation tower, I think I will need an automated mining method. Silk-touching ores probably isn't going to cut it.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually the byproducts that I'm interested in. You can also adulterate the diesel cells into nitro-diesel. It adds 16k eu for not much cost, so it is worth it. I'm working towards this at the moment. Just finished building the grinder and blast furnace (almost all reinforced now). For the amount of chrome I will need for the distillation tower, I think I will need an automated mining method. Silk-touching ores probably isn't going to cut it.
Witch shard/bees.

WayofTime

Jul 29, 2019
Also, the tower makes fuel from oil at a 1:1 ratio, making it VERY efficient. I think the regular ratio is 2:1 oil:fuel, though it may be even more.