Disabling the GUI console on FTB server (Linux)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaerMaster

Jul 29, 2019
I'm working on putting together a private FTB server for my kids. The server runs on my application server, an 8-core Linux box in my server rack that is effectively headless. (It has a monitor, via a KVM, but the monitor is almost never used.) The way I had my previous (Craftbukkit) server set up is that I have a startup script which su's to the minecraft server user, starts up a detached tmux session (similar to screen, but more powerful), and then sends a command into that session to start the MC server. If I need to access the MC server console for any reason, I just SSH into the server and attach to the tmux session.

The problem I'm running into is that the FTB server ALSO starts up a GUI console, in addition to the usual Minecraft-server text console. If it cannot get an X11 display, which it won't when run from an init script, the FTB server fails to start because it can't create the GUI console. This means that in order to be able to start the FTB server, I have to either log in on my app-server's console as the minecraft-server user and leave it logged on, or manually start the FTB server via an SSH connection from my workstation. In the latter case, of course, the graphical console comes up on my workstation, and if I close it or log out, the FTB server terminates.

Is there any way to configure the FTB server to not start that graphical console?

CaerMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried launching it from a .bat with the flag -nogui?
I haven't, because I didn't know about it, but I was hoping there was such an option; I just couldn't find any reference to it.

Hmm... I just tried that, and this is the result:

epsilon3:root:/opt/FTBserver:18 # java -Xms4G -Xmx4G -nogui -jar ftbserver.jar
Unrecognized option: -nogui
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.

CaerMaster

Jul 29, 2019
Aha! Got pointed at the answer. '--nogui' does not work. 'nogui' as last argument, WITHOUT the '--', does.

So hopefully the next person who has this problem will now find this answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.