disabling parts of RP world gen.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
while i love RP2 the problem is that the marble and basalt world gen cause a massive drop in performance and was wondering if i could disable just those two as i need the other world gen.

thanks in advance.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, since when do normal blocks hinder the performances?
They don't have anything more than dirt or stone, just a texture.

Anyway, no, you can't.

Well, you can, but that would also disable every worldgen that RP adds, so no blue dust, and no giant tree.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
This used to be possible, but the feature didn't survive the Great Recoding of Minecraft 1.3. Unsure whether or not it will be re-added later.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Didn't she say she would never re-add the ability to take away individual parts of the world gen?

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, since when do normal blocks hinder the performances?
They don't have anything more than dirt or stone, just a texture.

Anyway, no, you can't.

Well, you can, but that would also disable every worldgen that RP adds, so no blue dust, and no giant tree.

how do you know they're just retexture stone i might ask? but either way when RP2 world gen is on i get 40 FPS when its off i get 80+ FPS my system can handle the game no problem so something else is the problem.

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Most likely the RP2 trees since they have so many leaves.. Try Optifine with trees set to minimal?

elkillo

Jul 29, 2019
Most likely the RP2 trees since they have so many leaves.. Try Optifine with trees set to minimal?

i can render normal tree no problem so i believe that solution isnt really worth it, but i thank you for trying to help ^_^

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
how do you know they're just retexture stone i might ask? but either way when RP2 world gen is on i get 40 FPS when its off i get 80+ FPS my system can handle the game no problem so something else is the problem.
Actually, I don't.

But they are blocks, not tile entity, and they only have a single texture, that can be changed via a texture pack with no trouble at all.
Knowing they don't have any function or special interaction, I would doubt that Eloram would go out off her way to code something special about them, apart from the worldgen part.

If you want to prove me that marble and basalt lag your game, here is an experiment you could do:

1. Make a custom flat world with 4 layers of stone and 1 of grass ( 4x1,2 ). write your fps after the world has loaded.
2. Make the same world, but with stone replaced by Basalt. ( 4x215:1,2 )
3. Make again the same world, with Marble this time. ( 4x215,2 )

For me, using un modified DW20 pack, default graphics options:
1. 125 FPS
2. between 124 and 126 FPS
3. 125 FPS

So I am sorry, these maps had a lot of marble, and a lot of basalt, because the render distance "far" does cause quite a lot to be generated and rendered.

I don't call my experiment a "proof" that it doesn't lag your game, but at least I proved it doesn't lag mine, not even by a single FPS, that's enough for me to keep them generate.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I think it's more the generating of volcanoes is what cause most people to lag.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I can understand that the generation could cause a bit of lag, because it generates after the rest, but that is a one time lag, not something that affects the FPS when you are not generating them.

The OP is talking about a performance drop that divides his FPS by more than 2.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It would have to constantly be calculating when to generate them so it could be that?(Unlikely but w.e)

esotericist

Jul 29, 2019
But they are blocks, not tile entity, and they only have a single texture, that can be changed via a texture pack with no trouble at all.
Knowing they don't have any function or special interaction, I would doubt that Eloram would go out off her way to code something special about them, apart from the worldgen part.

To the best of my ability to discern without decompiling Eloraam's work (which she's requested we not do), marble is generated as a recursive search across smooth stone exposed to air blocks instead of as a simple substitution the way ores work. This means that if there's a lot of exposed stone in an area that gets the marble treatment, a LOT of marble can end up getting generated... But worse, due to the way it does its searching, it can end up taking a very long time (and a lot of CPU) to do chunk generation.

This can in fact cripple framerates for a lot of people if they had the misfortune to, say, get a span of terrain with multiple intersecting ravines underneath the ground. Once the terrain eventually finishes generating, just exploring the surface wouldn't make it clear to you how much of a drain on processing that region actually was, which severely impedes troubleshooting.

Naturally, the problem is far worse in Mystcraft ages with cave and skyland generation, to the point where it can eventually kill the server (whether SSP or SMP, the difference is minimal aside from slightly fewer recovery options in SSP).

So I am sorry, these maps had a lot of marble, and a lot of basalt, because the render distance "far" does cause quite a lot to be generated and rendered.

I don't call my experiment a "proof" that it doesn't lag your game, but at least I proved it doesn't lag mine, not even by a single FPS, that's enough for me to keep them generate.

You've successfully demonstrated the blocks themselves are inert, but that doesn't mean they aren't a problem, since in normal play they only come from RP2's questionable world generation mechanism -- which we're not allowed to disable or tune.